Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard or better yet, have had their babies in a dryer that's completely closed (atleast what I saw) in which they are put after a bath at the groomers and the air pretty much circulates in there and dries them? When I start to take Gizmo to the groomers, I was planning on having him cut with the people at the vet's office. The girl at the front desk gave my boyfriend and I a "tour" of the whole hospital and that's when she showed us the dryer. I don't know, I'm curious cause I've never seen those.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have heard horror stories about those dryers. Something like if they are not careful, the dryer burned the animal or something...aAHH can't remember because it's so late at night.

I've only started to groom Paris at home, and it's a bad haircut so far, but he is much more happy and comfortable with his mom washing him and taking care of him than a pair of strange hands...I don't think Iam ever going to take him back to the groomers...(still debating to go in for a last haircut save- just so he can look cute again...but after that, no more visits).

·
Registered
363 Posts
My groomer has one of those that she uses for really big dogs or ones that won't sit still for hand drying. It is not one of those dryers that fit on a cage and blow on the dogs, that's how those pups died in Florida. This is a giant see through box that can be adjusted for the size of the dog. It circulates warm air, no warmer than 72 degrees around the dog that dries them. I saw a demonstration and it was not hot, just nice warm air. It had a thermostat that you set and an alarm, just in case. I thought it looked very safe and since it was see through, I don't think the dogs would be afraid. She didn't need to use it for Jack though, cause he sat still for the hand dryer. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
You can request that your dog not be put in a cage dryer.My groomer only hand dries them with a hand dryer,and is happy to do it for me.

·
Registered
894 Posts
After our first grooming experience I would never take Sis back if they paid me. But that's just ME.....there are those here that have fantastic groomers and have really good experiences. I would have a heart attack if someone put Sis in a cage like that to dry her. I know we paid $15 extra to have her hand dried......but, no money in the world will EVER make me take her to a groomer again.....
I have been reading, visiting groomers to watch what they are doing and plan on getting a video and learning how before she needs to be clipped again........I have been working with her to stand still on top of the washing machine on top of a shower mat (so she doesn't slide around) and have managed to trim up her face a little bit (we just do a little, treat and do a little more). She usually lets me know when the "session" is over with for the day. I have not had the guts to do much more than a face trim, clip her nails and trim around her paws a bit.....I'm S-L-O-W for sure, but we are BOTH learning...... :lol:

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I beg of all who read this post to never ever ever use a groomer who would use one of these torture chambers. I live in NJ and we just had a groomer within the last csix months who burned a dog alive in one of these dryers. How this woman did not hear the cries of this puppy I cannot imagine...the poor thing must have cried awful to be burned alive. It was a tragedy that the owners never expected...this is the reason I never take Teddy to the groomer...

This is not an urban myth and happened in Lawrenceville, NJ. It was in the papers here. I pray every day for that poor little one and the owners who thought there loved one was going to be all pretty and happy only to have him dead.

S

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
These dyers things have upset me so much. I think PetSmart uses them. I feel so bad that Puddles may have been in one.

I'm going to call and talk with them and see if they just cut and not bath. We have no problems with bath time, he loves it. Its the dryer that he hates and I wonder why.....makes me wonder whats happen to him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts