Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I are trying to decide which to go with and need your help and advice. Our choices are Cox cable highspeed or SBC DSL, we have heard a little about both of them, but not enough to go with one over the other. SBC has two levels of highspeed and we would go with the one that is said to be faster and with Cox it would be the plan in the middle..they have a lower priced one that isn't so fast, but less money... then they have the middle plan (which used to be their highest speed 4.0 I think) and then their fastest speed plan 5.0 which would cost more than we want to spend. OK, so if I haven't confused you all yet....LOL I really could use your opinions...any experiences with either or both highspeed connections would be a big help. I just want to pick the one I will stay with and not have to change later, as with SBC we would have to sign up for a year and I just want to be sure. I am trying to find out the pro's and con's of both so we can make our choice. Thank you for helping us with this, since we are still in the land of dial-up.... I know that either will blow us away compared to this very slow download speed

·
Registered
608 Posts
Originally posted by Littlemans Mom@Jul 17 2005, 09:00 AM
My husband and I are trying to decide which to go with and need your help and advice. Our choices are Cox cable highspeed or SBC DSL, we have heard a little about both of them, but not enough to go with one over the other. SBC has two levels of highspeed and we would go with the one that is said to be faster and with Cox it would be the plan in the middle..they have a lower priced one that isn't so fast, but less money... then they have the middle plan (which used to be their highest speed 4.0 I think) and then their fastest speed plan 5.0 which would cost more than we want to spend. OK, so if I haven't confused you all yet....LOL  I really could use your opinions...any experiences with either or both highspeed connections would be a big help. I just want to pick the one I will stay with and not have to change later, as with SBC we would have to sign up for a year and I just want to be sure. I am trying to find out the pro's and con's of both so we can make our choice. Thank you for helping us with this, since we are still in the land of dial-up.... I know that either will blow us away compared to this very slow download speed 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=82086
[/QUOTE]

I prefer cable, much faster than dsl. But I haven't had dsl in a few years.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have SBC DSL and love it. We have no problems at all. The nice thing about having your Web Access separate from your cable is if your cable goes down you still have DSL. Our DSL has only gone done once in 5 years and that wasn't for very long. My cable on the other hand has to be reset often.

Look at both the upload and download speeds when making your decission, but I prefer DSL and in my area it is much faster then cable.

Judi

·
Registered
478 Posts
I had DSL, and cable was offering a special package saving me $29/month.

My plan was to have cable for a year at almost $30.00 cheaper than DSL.

But, I'm going to keep my cable. It'll only be $4.49 higher than DSL when the contract expires.

Cable much faster than DSL

·
Registered
416 Posts
otay since i sell cable (least for the summer) i think I can answer this one.

DSL is an analogue signal. It goes through a phone line type of cable. The problem with this is taht if you aren't close to the station your signal degrades. The further away you live the worse your speed is giong to be. If you live right on top of the station you should have really good speed.
DSL is usually 128k/s which is about 2 1/2 times as fast as your normal dial up.

Cable 4.0 would be 4.0 MB/sec which is about 71 times as fast as the dialup. Cable is a digital signal and does not degrade based on distance. It's insanely fast and highly reliable. Unless your cable goes out all the time (if it's digital) your internet shouldnt be a problem. The cable lines are taken care of by cable company, where the analogue line is taken care of by the phone company usually. If you get your cable net through your cable provider you SHOULD get a discount on your net/modem

It depends on what you use your internet for. Both should have a very simular capped upload speed.

Cable 5.0 would be 89 times as fast. That's even faster than what I have now and I don't know what I would do with it.

I hope my info helped. and Thanks Charter for teaching me all this junk. If you need more answers lemme know

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Great info, Boom Boom's Mom!

I've had both cable and DSL at my house. We started with cable cause DSL wasn't available. Unfortunately our cable goes out pretty often. When DSL became available we switched to that. It is much more reliable IN MY AREA. Honestly, I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever in the speed. I had the fastest cable connection that was available and now I have the fastest DSL that they offer. Maybe I'm just not downloading or accessing the really graphic intense stuff, but I see no difference.

PS. I have to use dialup at my daughter's condo, until the Cable people get her new computer setup, so anything is better than that!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
We have DSL and love it. We couldn't decide either and we were todl that the cable can really be slow at times depending how many people who are in the same neighborhood or whatever are using it the same time as you. We haven't personally had cable though, but were recommended DSL and like I said, really really enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
We have a cable connection and have set up our own wireless lan. It works great, is very reliable and super fast--often faster and more reliable than the broadband network connection at work.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
we have cable and do a wireless router so we can plop down anywhere in our tiny apartment with our laptops and get super fast internet. I love it!!!!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for helping us out. I guess we have a few questions to ask when we call up SBC etc. I am pretty sure the old SBC office here in town is still a hub, so if it is, then we are not far from the source which would be good if we decide on DSL. We almost never have cable outages in my area, so if we go with them it should be fine. From the responses here it seems almost even as far as how happy people are with either one for service. Maybe we will end up flipping a coin
Please keep the responses coming, we could use all the help we can get! Thank you all again for your help, I knew you guys would be able to help us out

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I just got cable internet last month. I was also trying to decide if I wanted DSL or cable. Price ended up being the deciding factor.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Jul 17 2005, 05:03 PM
I just got cable internet last month.  I was also trying to decide if I wanted DSL or cable.  Price ended up being the deciding factor.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=82193
[/QUOTE]
In my area SBC is having a special promo with the higher speed DSL for $24.99 a month, free modem and free self install kit. The cable company is offering the middle speed plan 4.0 @ $39.99 a month with free modem and free self install kit. SBC makes you sign up for a full year or pay an early termination fee, cable you don't have to sign up for any length of time except to get the modem free you need to keep the service for 90 days. I want to find out what the price will be after the special is over for SBC /DSL to see if the price goes up much after the special ends. I like the price of the DSL, but I like the fact that with cable I don't have to sign up for anything. I never thought it was going to be so hard to decide. I was hoping maybe that as far as service or speed maybe one would stand out over the other, but it seems about equal so far in the posts above..well I think cable has a slight lead :new_Eyecrazy: Thanks again to everyone for their help

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I have cable (Road Runner) and love it. There were a couple times I had to call the help desk because my modem had gone bad and the help desk reps were awesome.... no wait, intelligent agents, and the call center was in the U.S. That might be a deciding factor for you.... call the help desk of the two companies you're considering and see if there is a significant difference between the two.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
sbc yahoo dsl is having a special for 14.95/month right now...something like that.

and cable goes out....the phoneline never goes out. so i'd go with dsl. :D and my laptop is wireless....my internet is pretty fast. i'd rater have T1 or something

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I have Time Warner cable but am with Earthlink instead of Road Runner. Rarely an outage here. I love it. The phone lines are at risk of outages too. Workers in your neighborhood can accidentally cut phones lines as much as cable lines. And in stormy weather both are at risk too. Bad phone lines can also affect your internet connection.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
For me the DSL was going to be $49.99 a month since I don't have a home phone (I use a cell phone) and would need a data line. MediaCom was running a special on their cabel internet for $29.99 a month for 12 months if I also go the digital box for $9.99 a month or $39.99 for just the cabel internet for 12 months. After that it will go up to $49.99 a month. I figure I will keep it for 12 months and then check and see if prices have changed. I've had cable now for a month and have not had any problems with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts