Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to take my two girls out running errands around town as much as possible. They enjoy the change of routine and particularly enjoy the butter cookies I buy them at Starbucks :innocent: Anyway, last week we were preparing to walk into our local Walgreens drug store when a woman walked up to me and commented on how lovely my dogs were. I thanked her as her husband approached. She then looked me directly in the eye and asked "but why do you have more than one?" I stared at her for a second not knowing if I heard her correctly. She then asked me more forcefully 'Why would you have two?" To which I replied respectfully "why do some people have more than one child? She just looked at me blankly then walked away. Now, I'm an easy going person by nature [and I only have one skin kid so I do think things through:thumbsup:] but is it such an oddity for someone to have more than one fur kid? What is the big deal? Maybe she isn't a dog person and doesn't know how much these little fur butts can enrich our lives. She just bugged me.

PS I used to have a 90 lb doberman. If we go by poundage alone that means I should be allowed another 82 lb of Maltese:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I wonder what she would have said to me walking in with my four??:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:..........and I only have three skinkids.........I obtained wisdom as I grew older. Fluffs are sooooooooo much easier! :w00t:

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
i wonder if she assumed you were intending on breeding them? i often get asked that question because i have a male and a female, both fixed thankfully.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i have four skin kids lol and dolce my fur baby , and i have had ppl ask me why did i get a pup if i have four kids, i mean is it really anyones business , cause i wanted one .. wth? people r clueless sometimes,

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
I've had people ask me ,when walking my 5.."are those all yours?" Guess it comes from people asking that to a woman w/ 5 kids in tow.
Granted I probably look like I'm walking a sled dog team...
People ask me if I breed? I tactfully say no and explain why I wouldn't.
I tell people Malts are like potato chips ,you can't just stop at one....
I figure you can't have too much of a good thing.

Good thing Malts are smarter than people...

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
That's an odd question. Sometimes we got ask if Pasha and Raine are Napoleon's daddy and mommy based on their size but never why we have 3. When we used to walk Pasha, our late Oscar and little puppy Raine, people often asked if Pasha was the daddy and Oscar was the mommy. :HistericalSmiley:

Some people are just plain strange.

·
Premium Member
20,083 Posts
A woman approached me recently to see my "kids"....then she asked.."How did this happen?!"....meaning how did I end up with four. Well I did have a story and I did tell it to her, we laughed about it and parted ways.

But it sounds like your "person" was a grinch at heart :angry:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I really don't think it was her intention to offend you and it really does not sound like a dumb question. She probably was just curious and had no experience owning pets. She did compliment you on your beautiful girls so she just sounds more like she was clueless to me.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
i wonder if she assumed you were intending on breeding them? i often get asked that question because i have a male and a female, both fixed thankfully.
I have people ask me this too.

I have so many friends with multiple dogs that it's just normal to me, but I also know a lot of people and my family that doesn't get why I want so many pets. I have two dogs now but I'm sure I'll have 4 or 5 one day

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.