Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well.. I know i have mentioned a few times on here about wanting to get another maltese... a friend for kodie. During Thanksgiving dinner it was brought up about me never moving out of my parents house... and i said well .. i want to move out because then i can get another matlese... a friend for kodie.. ya know... My parents looked at me but didnt say no! Usually they jump and say NO!! Anyway... i went on to explain that it could be possible that kodie is sooooo attached to me and wont relax because he needs another maltese to be around... cause then he wont be alone when i'm gone. Kodie hates being left alone soo much its crazy. I told my parents that another maltese might be good for kodie... he will have a cuddle buddy and a playmate. I tried to make it sound like such a good idea... and my parents didnt say no!! soo... i'm wondering if they are willing to let me get another maltese while i'm at their house?? I might be looking into things but at least i got a different reaction than usual.
On the down side... there is a chance kodie will not like another maltese around... but i'm thinking he would if I got a puppy... not a older dog (that is set in their ways). Kodie loved being around our old dog before he passed away.. he used to follow him around and "try" to play with him... but didnt really get to cuddle with him because our old dog wasnt into cuddling... he was a beagle. Sooo... i know kodie likes having another pup around... I just think its gonna be hard to find one that matches kodie soo they can get along. I dunno how to do that though... anyone know how? I guess I could take kodie with me to look at puppies when the time comes. I just know that I hesitant to get a LOT bigger maltese than kodie... i'm scared of kodie getting hurt.

i dunno.. this is all just an idea! I would love to have another maltese though.
I think they are soo GREAT!
I just love to see all the pictures of members that have more than one maltese... they cuddle together and everything!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Peanut used to hate to be left alone too. He and Tic get along so well, I was so afraid that they wouldn't get along at all. I don't think it's a good idea to bring Kodie to see the puppies for both Kodie and the puppies' health just in case. I agree with Rose. Kodie is so small that I think a puppy may just be too hyper and jumpy. Tic is now bigger than Peanut and when they play it can get rough. It makes me worry because Peanut is a lot more delicate than Tic, and Tic is just a ball of energy. Of course, not all pups are as hyper as Tic. I think if you spoke to the breeder and told him/her your concerns and about Kodie's size she will be able to work with you and maybe you guys can see which puppy would suit Kodie most. sorry I rambled...still tired. Good luck on whatever you decide!! :D

·
Registered
802 Posts
I had a lhasa for four years before I introduced a boy lhasa pup to her. At first, she was like "what is this little ball of fur, keep him away from me!" lol He (the pup) immediately took to her and wanted to follow her everywhere....she always snubbed him...poor thing. Eventually, she learned to tolerate him, as long as she was boss. THey learned to play together but when she wanted the "play time" to end it had to end...she could get nasty about that. He just learned to follow her lead, and he was ok with that. She was the alpha out of the two, but she came first so, she had to be the princess there was no arguing about that.

It did feel better leaving them alone together, though.

Good luck with getting your baby a partner in crime. Just keep a close watch on how they respond to eachother and it should be ok.

Opra first introduced her pups to her older dogs by letting the older dogs sniff the pups behinds first to get a sence of them in a calm non threatening way. It was pretty cool to see them meet that way.

It usually ends up working out ok. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.