Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not have a Paypal account, I only used it twice and both times it was for here and I used a CC I did not open an account with them. The first time was for a donation and the second was for the membership upgrade. I got an E-mail saying it was from them and I had to update my account info within 1 day or be locked out of my account. There was a link to click on, which I did not do. I had gotten an E-mail similar to that one months ago saying they were E-Bay etc.....which I know is a scam and I figured this is the same thing.
The thing is, I also had an E-mail from the support dept. ( or so it says) of the place I use for an extra E-mail account saying my account was used to send a huge amount of spam E-mails. It said I would be banned from using my E-mail account if I did not click on a zip file and follow the instructions. I did not click on the file either
I did send a letter to the owner of the service asking for validation of the E-mail etc. So any way my question is, am I just lucky or do you guys get the phishing E-mails also? We only started getting this stuff since we went to broadband :new_Eyecrazy: We keep updating our Virus program and have a firewall, I do the thing with ad-aware and spybot to get rid of adware etc. Is there something else I should be doing ?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I get emails like that all the time from ebay and paypal.
When I get an ebay one, I forward it to [email protected]. (I think that is it)
A true ebay message will also show up on your "myebay" page.
If you have a paypal message, I am pretty sure it will show when you log into your account. I usually ignore all emails like that.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
It's all spam and phishing emails. If you get a real one from PayPal or eBay they will address it "Dear" + your first and last names. When you get this junk, copy and paste "Properties" from the email and forward that plus the email to [email protected] or [email protected].

Don't ever download anything like that or give out personal info. Yes, I get them all the time but I knew they were bogus because they were sent to an email address that I have never used for PayPal or eBay and I get them at my office, too.

I'm glad you didn't download anything.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
That's weird because my hubby also had a strange email supposedly from Paypal saying basically the same about his account, of which he does not have. This also appeared after he paid for my membership update in here. Other than that we have never used Paypal before and probably won't again if that is what happens.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
They are all phishing e-mails. Don't respond to them. And never ever give out credit card numbers or social security numbers. My e-mail account is with Mindspring.com. I even received e-mails from "[email protected]" to update the account. All not legitimate.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
There are lots of people frauding others through fake paypal mails. Double check the email address it is being sent from. Sometimes the emails look EXACTLY like paypal emails but they are not. Check the links - make sure they go to www.paypal.com and nothing else. I have seen some very tricky and creative fraud emails.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
We've been getting more of those phishing emails than usual. I HATE them. I can understand how some people are taken in though! We should be changing our passwords more frequently. Problem is that when I change a password that I've been using a lot, I forget the new one.....old age.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Oct 29 2005, 06:20 PM
That's weird because my hubby also had a strange email supposedly from Paypal saying basically the same about his account, of which he does not have. This also appeared after he paid for my membership update in here. Other than that we have never used Paypal before and probably won't again if that is what happens.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114657
[/QUOTE]

Janet, feel free to use PayPal all you want. The emails have nothing to do with a real PayPal account. I get those emails to an email account, which is not even one that I use for PayPal. My office does not even have an eBay or PayPal account but I get those phishing emails there, too. They are just guessing that you have a PayPal or eBay account because so many people do have them. Whether you have or use an eBay or PayPal account or not, you will still get those phishing emails if your email address is on any spammer's email lists.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
i dont open any emails that say paypal or ebay in the header and it really has nothing to do with using either service, these emails will eventually find you one way or another

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Well I am a little concerned as hubby did actually open the email not knowing it was spam or phishing, so will this do him any harm?
I thought it was odd when he told me about it, but it was too late because being new to Paypal he wasn't aware that this could be from anyone other than them. It actually went to the same email account he used for Paypal.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
If he opened the link you need to change you password asap and email paypal about it.

I did this one time. It was a real pain but worth it in the long run.

I use paypal often.

As far as remember all my new passwords I have a roladex next to my computer and I feel out a card with the new passwords Like I will put "ebay" on it and then my password so when I need to log in I can look it up under ebay.

Probably not super safe if someone broke in and stole the roladex but convient for me and not stored on my computer for hackers.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I got similar emails from Paypal and Ebay in the past. I called paypal about it and they said they would never email me about my account and would mail me a letter. At one point when I needed to get my password changed because I forgot it, they mailed me a letter. I just ignore the emails when I get them now.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Also, I don't think it is so bad (if harmful at all) to READ the email they send you. It is clicking where they tell you and entering your secure information that causes the problem for you. At least that is the way I understand it. As long as you don't enter any information-it is not a big deal. That is the way a computer guru explained it to me.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Oct 29 2005, 08:20 PM
Well I am a little concerned as hubby did actually open the email not knowing it was spam or phishing, <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114683
[/QUOTE]

as tlunn said most of the time it is ok to open the email, just dont click on the links inside the email and never fill out any info, if paypal has any serious questions they will call you, there are some email virus' out there that you can get just by opening an email but not many, just use caution

one thing to look for, if you get an email, particularly paypal, asking for info, look at the url link in the email, it will look something like

https://paypal.blablabla/blabla

but if you move your cursor over the link it will look like

http://x4321g.sfsffsdf.com/blablabla

a sure sign it is not from paypal

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by Joe+Oct 29 2005, 09:33 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Scoobydoo
@Oct 29 2005, 08:20 PM
Well I am a little concerned as hubby did actually open the email not knowing it was spam or phishing, <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114683
as tlunn said most of the time it is ok to open the email, just dont click on the links inside the email and never fill out any info, if paypal has any serious questions they will call you, there are some email virus' out there that you can get just by opening an email but not many, just use caution

one thing to look for, if you get an email, particularly paypal, asking for info, look at the url link in the email, it will look something like

https://paypal.blablabla/blabla

but if you move your cursor over the link it will look like

http://x4321g.sfsffsdf.com/blablabla

a sure sign it is not from paypal
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114710
[/B][/QUOTE]

Ok now he has received yet another email supposedly from Paypal tonight.
The addy on the email is [email protected] and they are claiming that they have charged his credit card $143.00 and this is the exact same email as he got before. The thing that gets me is they have quoted the last 4 digits of his credit card. I told him he has to call Paypal and find out if this is in fact Paypal, because that amount has never appeared on his credit card statement. They are just trying to get the rest of his card number because there is an address they want him to click on. I told him to just delete it.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I had 2 emails from [email protected] in my mail box tonight. Ignore and delete them. I have an account with PayPal but there is no money in it and they don't have my bank account number and will never get it. Also because I don't trust them, I don't have a Debit Credit Card. My only debit card is an ATM card from my bank.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Oct 29 2005, 10:34 PM
I had 2 emails from [email protected] in my mail box tonight. Ignore and delete them. I have an account with PayPal but there is no money in it and they don't have my bank account number and will never get it. Also because I don't trust them, I don't have a Debit Credit Card. My only debit card is an ATM card from my bank.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114733
[/QUOTE]

Yes that's what we are going to do, but like I said it is a worry that they can quote the last 4 digits to our credit card.
We are going to call Paypal about it and let them know this is happening. We will no longer use Paypal because it makes me feel that their site is not as secure as they might want us to think.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Oct 29 2005, 09:47 PM
The addy on the email is [email protected] and they are claiming that they have charged his credit card $143.00 and this is the exact same email as he got before. The thing that gets me is they have quoted the last 4 digits of his credit card. I told him he has to call Paypal and find out if this is in fact Paypal, because that amount has never appeared on his credit card statement. They are just trying to get the rest of his card number because there is an address they want him to click on. I told him to just delete it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114722
[/QUOTE]

Janet, did they use your name in the salutation of the email? It is very odd that they used your credit card number.... That would conern me, too. If they had your credit card # PLUS if they used your name in the email, then maybe it is legit???

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Oct 29 2005, 11:05 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Scoobydoo
@Oct 29 2005, 09:47 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114722
Janet, did they use your name in the salutation of the email? It is very odd that they used your credit card number.... That would conern me, too. If they had your credit card # PLUS if they used your name in the email, then maybe it is legit???
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114737
[/B][/QUOTE]

Hi K/C, yes they had all our info, name, numbers etc. but we do not have an account with Paypal, we just used it that one time. We will just call them to make sure it was actually them who sent the email. I have a feeling the one last night could have been legit, but the one before where they quoted that they had taken money from our credit card account was definately bogus because that money has never been billed.
I have a feeling that when people use Paypal there must be someone tracking the keystrokes or something hence the phishing emails.
We have been watching our card account very closely to make sure nothing has come out and we have a security on our card so that any attempted withdrawal is always blocked till we are notified then if we approve it the payment goes ahead and if not it is blocked. This is good to have, but we still keep an eye on things.
Thanks for your help K/C I do appreciate it

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.