Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
The best thing I have found is available through the vet..it is called dermapet..liquid that goes in and dries and allows cleaning.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I use this product and it has work great. Ear cleaner

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
After thinking about it, I'm not sure if I like my combo ear cleaner. It leaves little clumbs in her ears. So the hair in her ears looks kind of gross because the clumbs stick to it.

Also Lexi has only had the hair pulled from her ears once (at the vets after spaying) and she got and ear infection with in a few days.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Lexi's Mom, if you put a little R7 Ear powder in Lexi's ears (you can get it at any pet store), it makes the hair really easy to pull out. I just use my fingers as my vet told me that was the best way to do it. That way, only the hair that it meant to come out, does.

I also put a little white vinegar & alcohol mixture in Lady's ears after her bath to dry them out in case any water got in.

I have some ear cleaner, but I rarely use it because her ears stay nice and healthy just by doing this.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Dec 1 2004, 12:35 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ilove_d&m
@Dec 1 2004, 11:18 AM
I use this product and it has work great. Ear cleaner
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19657
How do you use it? Is it a liquid? Do you just pour some in the ear?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19666
[/B][/QUOTE]

Its a liquid which evaporates. so, after baths I clean the ear with a baby wet towel they I put the product wait a few minutes then clean the ear again.

I also use the R7 that Ladys mom mention, to pull the hairs out. I dont do it every week, just when I see that there are too many.

SInce Ihave use ear wash, my girls havent got any ear infections. before they used to get them alot. also, my vet gave me a medicine for prevention to use after baths but I feel that too much medication may not be necessary to put in their ears every bath

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
There are two regular maintenance cleaners I like: Chlorhexiderm or Corium.

You don't have to pluck the ears, but if the dog gets dirty ears or chronic ear infections, it might be a good idea. The important thing is to just pluck a little bit at a time, don't pluck a whole bunch and get the ear irritated. You can use your fingers. With a little R7 ear powder, it is quite easy and doesn't seem to hurt. Once you get it cleaned out, just pluck a little every few weeks for maintenance.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I don't "clean" Brinkley's ear per se...and so far we have not had any problems...(knock on wood!)-after a bath, I use Swim Ear in his ears to help them dry out...then-every few weeks, I pull the hairs with my fingers and put some stuff I got on the PetEdge site that is supposed to clean/dry them. They say you are supposed to use some powder when you pull them, but I don't...I don't know what it is for, and my breeder said she didn't always use it, so I don't either. So far, his ears seem to be fresh and pick and clean.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Thanks guys I'll have to try the R7 stuff.

I think the reason she got an infection the first time is because the vet tech pulled a lot of hair and the ear got irritated.

JMM: Where do you get the Chlorhexiderm or Corium? Would it be available at a pet store or is it something you have to get off the internet?

Can anyone recommend a good cleaner and dryer that I can get at a pet store?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Dec 1 2004, 02:29 PM
The Super Duck dryer is a great home dryer. I've never seen it in pet stores, though, but you can get it through the catalogues.

I got a "knock-off" from PetEdge several years ago that I have been very happy with. I don't use the stand, I have it hooked up to a groomers third arm:

http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/de...uctID=3040&AS=1

http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/de...uctID=1070&AS=1
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19695
[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I meant an ear drying solution for after baths.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts