Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bijou has an ear infection. The Vet. prescribed Tresaderm with putting 5 to 6 drops in each ear twice daily for 10 days. My problem is that he doesn't want to cooperate and he is fighting for his life when I try to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions. I had a couple of treats waiting for him after each ear but that didn't make him want to cooperate? This could be an extremely long 10 days.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Originally posted by Bijousmom@Oct 18 2005, 09:49 AM
Bijou has an ear infection.  The Vet. prescribed Tresaderm with putting 5 to 6 drops in each ear twice daily for 10 days.  My problem is that he doesn't want to cooperate and he is fighting for his life when I try to do this.  Does anyone have any suggestions.  I had a couple of treats waiting for him after each ear but that didn't make him want to cooperate?  This could be an extremely long 10 days.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=110851
[/QUOTE]

I conquered this problem like this:

First of all name the product.....I Said to Sassy, "mommy has to put ear meds in." Then lay your baby on the bed (have med ready to go.) Hold head with one hand, hold ear open with thumb and pointer finger. You can put a little pressure on the head to restrain because being on the bed it will give a little and you will not be hurting the wiggling baby. Tell him loves and what a good boy the entire time. Massage the ear after the drops. He will learn quickly that it makes the ears feel so much better that after a couple of days he will welcome the meds.

P.S. Sassy got so that she would actually come over and lay down when I told her it was time for "ear meds."

I hope the medication works and the problem is cleared up quickly.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Originally posted by Sassy's mommy+Oct 18 2005, 10:04 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Bijousmom
@Oct 18 2005, 09:49 AM
Bijou has an ear infection.  The Vet. prescribed Tresaderm with putting 5 to 6 drops in each ear twice daily for 10 days.  My problem is that he doesn't want to cooperate and he is fighting for his life when I try to do this.  Does anyone have any suggestions.  I had a couple of treats waiting for him after each ear but that didn't make him want to cooperate?  This could be an extremely long 10 days.

First of all name the product.....I Said to Sassy, "mommy has to put ear meds in." Then lay your baby on the bed (have med ready to go.) Hold head with one hand, hold ear open with thumb and pointer finger. You can put a little pressure on the head to restrain because being on the bed it will give a little and you will not be hurting the wiggling baby. Tell him loves and what a good boy the entire time. Massage the ear after the drops. He will learn quickly that it makes the ears feel so much better that after a couple of days he will welcome the meds.

I applied the same principles when I put eye drops in for Sugar. Of course, the 2 cheerios I had waiting was quite a motivator for sitting still. I stuggle with the ear meds also. Usually I get my husband to put the drops in while I hold.

P.S. Sassy got so that she would actually come over and lay down when I told her it was time for "ear meds."

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=110861
[/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
[

I applied the same principles when I put eye drops in for Sugar. Of course, the 2 cheerios I had waiting was quite a motivator for sitting still. I stuggle with the ear meds also. Usually I get my husband to put the drops in while I hold.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=110861
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=110874
[/QUOTE]

I usually get my husband to put the drops in while I hold. It's my least favorite medicine to give. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both so much during a difficult time. This is easier on a big dog because you don't have to worry so much about hurting them. This isn't as easy as locking the dog's head and body between your knees, but he is well worth the effort. It is just scary trying not to permantly injure him.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Originally posted by Bijousmom@Oct 18 2005, 11:44 AM
Thank you both so much during a difficult time.  This is easier on a big dog because you don't have to worry so much about hurting them.  This isn't as easy as locking the dog's head and body between your knees, but he is well worth the effort.  It is just scary trying not to permantly injure him.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=110904
[/QUOTE]

I know exactly how you are feeling. Sassy just got over having a yeast ear infection. I used the Tresaderm for 8 days before realizing she wasn't getting any better. Went back to vet, then another med for 14 days. After the first few days Sassy would just lay down and wait for it to be over.
I am glad she began to coorporate because it is difficult to confine a little 6 lb doggie while she squirms. I hope the med works, if you don't see any improvment in a few days give your vet a call and ask whether or not you should continue or if the med needs to be changed.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
The Buttercup used to be known at the vet's office as "Our Lady of Perpetual Ear Infections". The vet would have a vet tech wrap her (Buttercup, not the vet herself) in a blanket very tightly (a Buttercup Burrito, if you will, add margarita and... oh nevermind...), and have two other techs and myself hold her itty bitty body still (again, Buttercup's itty bitty body, not the zoftig vet lady) while Dr Zoftig administered eardrops. Then she would say, with a perfectly straight face, "okay, now you'll just have to do this 3x a day, alright?" To which I'd reply "okay, well whatever time is best for ALL OF YOU to come over and help with this procedure..." and laugh so hard I needed an oxygen tank.

You would seriously think I was trying to kill Buttercup with how she would carry on! I completely know how you feel, and after 3 years of chronic ear infections, we never found an easy way to do it. Thankfully, they've not made any significant reoccurances lately, but we're prepared with blanket tortillas and cheese for burrito making. And add a margarita. For mommy.

Sorry, I didnt mean to become the complete OPPOSITE of "helpful"... LOL. How about instead, "you're not alone, i know JUST how you feel"?

Ann Marie and The "Huh? Can't hear you with all this crap you're putting in my ears" Buttercup

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
We are doing this right now, and I have had no problems whatsoever, except when I try cleaning them and it takes like 5 minutes or more. Phoebe doesnt have *that* much patience

Anyway, I got her newest favorite treat ready to go, something she just flips over. I started by just playing with her little ear, treat. One more time, treat. Then drops. Treat. I will admit, she never has had a problem with me doing anything to her really, so I might just be lucky, but now when I just go forh the bottle, she comes running (towards me!). Amazing. My last maltese, Holli, sounds an awful lot like the buttercup burrito, and I never tried the treat tricks with her first.

Good luck!

Pat, please let me know how Sassy is? We are on something called Conofite. It has been about 7 days and last night I tried cleaning her ear and got a bunch of gross brownish read goop out of there
. Thursday is the 10 day re-check to make sure its going ok, but I'd have expected no more goo by now. She seems ok, but she really didnt have any symptoms before this. Its a 14 day regimen.

Hope everyone gets better soon!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by TheButtercup@Oct 18 2005, 05:17 PM
The Buttercup used to be known at the vet's office as "Our Lady of Perpetual Ear Infections".  The vet would have a vet tech wrap her (Buttercup, not the vet herself) in a blanket very tightly (a Buttercup Burrito, if you will, add margarita and... oh nevermind...), and have two other techs and myself hold her itty bitty body still (again, Buttercup's itty bitty body, not the zoftig vet lady) while Dr Zoftig administered eardrops.  Then she would say, with a perfectly straight face, "okay, now you'll just have to do this 3x a day, alright?" To which I'd reply "okay, well whatever time is best for ALL OF YOU to come over and help with this procedure..." and laugh so hard I needed an oxygen tank.

You would seriously think I was trying to kill Buttercup with how she would carry on!  I completely know how you feel, and after 3 years of chronic ear infections, we never found an easy way to do it.  Thankfully, they've not made any significant reoccurances lately, but we're prepared with blanket tortillas and cheese for burrito making.  And add a margarita.  For mommy.

Sorry, I didnt mean to become the complete OPPOSITE of "helpful"... LOL.  How about instead, "you're not alone, i know JUST how you feel"? 

Ann Marie and The "Huh? Can't hear you with all this crap you're putting in my ears" Buttercup
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111009
[/QUOTE]
This was really helpful and I especially liked the part about the Margarita. I could really use one with the Bijou Buritto. Do you think that 20 Margaritas in 10 days could be excessive. I'll need something to help medicate me. Maybe I should take his separation anxiety medication. He has a six month supply and I may need it more. Thanks for the laughs.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Originally posted by Bijousmom@Oct 18 2005, 07:07 PM
This was really helpful and I especially liked the part about the Margarita.  I could really use one with the Bijou Buritto.  Do you think that 20 Margaritas in 10 days could be excessive.  I'll need something to help medicate me.  Maybe I should take his separation anxiety medication.  He has a six month supply and I may need it more.  Thanks for the laughs.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111086
[/QUOTE]

:D anytime. i'll add you to my margarita list. kinda like the never-ending prayer lists i seem to get often in my email box, lol, this one is a different way of handling stressful life situation

20 'ritas in 10 days? excessive? sister, that's just lunchtime for ME! LOL kidding!

on a more helpful note, my parents have always had luck with their dog by taking her for a long walk and letting her romp in the yard for a good long game of fetch. getting her worn out and THEN giving the much dreaded eye drops. rosie is a portuguese water dog who HATES water near her face....yet she always jumps in the pool behind my dad. go figure. she of course then starts scratching her face and getting all sorts of crap in her eyes...etc etc etc... my mom says getting her wound up and worn out so she's too tired to fight it...works for them! maybe worth a try. but i would hate for Sir Bijou to decide to have a second wind just as you're giving ear drops LOL. good luck with the Bijou Burrito and Mommy Margarita!

ann marie and the "magarita maker to the stars" buttercup

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I agree with Sassy's mom about giving them a heads up about what is going to happen so they aren't startled or upset. I always tell Lady that we are "going to check her sugar" (stick in her inside lip to get a drop of blood), do her insulin, etc. so she is expecting it.

I find being relaxed and upbeat rather than trying to wrestle them into submission works much better. If you put him up on somethng, like a counter, table or washer, he will know he can't escape and may give up.

If all else fails, a lady on the diabetic pet board had a terrible time giving her dog the twice daily shots. She put her in the sink so she was absolutely a captive and knew it!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I don't know about the ear meds, but I do know that last night when I was
cleaning Cosmo's ears his one ear looked pretty brownish and he did
not want me messing with it, let me just say a 1lb. maltese is noooo easier
to hang on to either. I had him in my lap and held the flap of his ear over with one
hand and had his face pressed against my leg (that way I could "feel" if I was
holding him down too hard) and then put the cleaning solution in with my other
hand. Once he realized he wasn't getting out of it he let me do it with the exception of trying to scratch it like a mad man.

He goes to the vet Friday for his Rabies Vac. so I will have the vet look to see if
he is getting an ear infection. I didn't notice a smell but it was awfully brown. And since he was scratching I will take that as a sign that it was bothering him.

So I hear misery loves company? Sounds like I might be in the same boat soon.

P.s. what was the name of the ear medicine that can cause some of them
to go deaf? I want to make sure he isn't given that one.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Originally posted by lethalfire@Oct 19 2005, 09:54 AM
I don't know about the ear meds, but I do know that last night when I was
cleaning Cosmo's ears his one ear looked pretty brownish and he did
not want me messing with it, let me just say a 1lb. maltese is noooo easier
to hang on to either. I had him in my lap and held the flap of his ear over with one
hand and had his face pressed against my leg (that way I could "feel" if I was
holding him down too hard) and then put the cleaning solution in with my other
hand.  Once he realized he wasn't getting out of it he let me do it with the exception of trying to scratch it like a mad man.

He goes to the vet Friday for his Rabies Vac.  so I will have the vet look to see if
he is getting an ear infection.  I didn't notice a smell but it was awfully brown.  And since he was scratching I will take that as a sign that it was bothering him.

So I hear misery loves company?  Sounds like I might be in the same boat soon.

P.s. what was the name of the ear medicine that can cause some of them
to go deaf?  I want to make sure he isn't given that one.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111231
[/QUOTE]

The ear med that is most associated with hearing loss is Otomax

The other two that I know of that are good and have not been associated with high numbers of deafness are: Tresaderm (has neomycin in it)--use it twice a day..... and Mometamax--use it once a day.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry@Oct 18 2005, 06:49 PM
Pat, please let me know how Sassy is?  We are on something called Conofite.  It has been about 7 days and last night I tried cleaning her ear and got a bunch of gross brownish read goop out of there 
.  Thursday is the 10 day re-check to make sure its going ok, but I'd have expected no more goo by now.  She seems ok, but she really didnt have any symptoms before this.  Its a 14 day regimen.

Hope everyone gets better soon!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111030
[/QUOTE]

The first 8 days I gave Sassy Tresaderm twice a day, :new_Eyecrazy: and flushed her ears every 3rd day with Malaseb. Her ears became very red, I think she may have been allergic to the neomycin in the Tresaderm. So............

Back to the vet.............Then we used Mometamax once a day
for 14 days and also flushed her ears every 3rd day with the Malaseb.

So far I think she is fine, I need to run her back up for a quick recheck. She was scratching at her ears a little a couple of days ago, so I pulled the hairs inside (I had not pulled them while she had the infection going on). That seemed to stop the scratching so I think the little new hairs were tickling her.

Sassy never had any goo or smell in her ears. I asked Dr. Bennett about that and he said if I did not keep Sassy's ears so clean then they would have smelled.
Her problem was yeast. He said her ears were white down inside. The whole ordeal really made Sassy lathargic. I am glad it is over. (Hopefully, keep your fingers crossed)

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had treats handy where he could see them and the bag to give him more. I talked to him rubbed his stomach and everything that I could think of before contacting SM. I used the burrito method and he doesn't seem to be fighting it as much and I give him treats when it is over.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts