Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Ear drops

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Bijousmom 
#1 ·
Bijou has an ear infection. The Vet. prescribed Tresaderm with putting 5 to 6 drops in each ear twice daily for 10 days. My problem is that he doesn't want to cooperate and he is fighting for his life when I try to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions. I had a couple of treats waiting for him after each ear but that didn't make him want to cooperate? This could be an extremely long 10 days.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #5 ·
Thank you both so much during a difficult time. This is easier on a big dog because you don't have to worry so much about hurting them. This isn't as easy as locking the dog's head and body between your knees, but he is well worth the effort. It is just scary trying not to permantly injure him.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by TheButtercup@Oct 18 2005, 05:17 PM
The Buttercup used to be known at the vet's office as "Our Lady of Perpetual Ear Infections".  The vet would have a vet tech wrap her (Buttercup, not the vet herself) in a blanket very tightly (a Buttercup Burrito, if you will, add margarita and... oh nevermind...), and have two other techs and myself hold her itty bitty body still (again, Buttercup's itty bitty body, not the zoftig vet lady) while Dr Zoftig administered eardrops.  Then she would say, with a perfectly straight face, "okay, now you'll just have to do this 3x a day, alright?" To which I'd reply "okay, well whatever time is best for ALL OF YOU to come over and help with this procedure..." and laugh so hard I needed an oxygen tank.

You would seriously think I was trying to kill Buttercup with how she would carry on!  I completely know how you feel, and after 3 years of chronic ear infections, we never found an easy way to do it.  Thankfully, they've not made any significant reoccurances lately, but we're prepared with blanket tortillas and cheese for burrito making.  And add a margarita.  For mommy.

Sorry, I didnt mean to become the complete OPPOSITE of "helpful"... LOL.  How about instead, "you're not alone, i know JUST how you feel"? 

Ann Marie and The "Huh? Can't hear you with all this crap you're putting in my ears" Buttercup
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111009
[/QUOTE]
This was really helpful and I especially liked the part about the Margarita. I could really use one with the Bijou Buritto. Do you think that 20 Margaritas in 10 days could be excessive. I'll need something to help medicate me. Maybe I should take his separation anxiety medication. He has a six month supply and I may need it more. Thanks for the laughs.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
I had treats handy where he could see them and the bag to give him more. I talked to him rubbed his stomach and everything that I could think of before contacting SM. I used the burrito method and he doesn't seem to be fighting it as much and I give him treats when it is over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.