Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to start grooming Chloe myself. The groomer I was going to changed assistants and Chloe has been very stressed the last couple of times we've been. Since I already do all her face clipping and have a grooming table etc., it doesn't seem like that much more of an investment so insure her safety. I just don't have a good feeling about this place anymore.

I digress. I'm pretty confident about the majority of the process. I don't however have any idea how to express anal glands or pull her ear hair. If need be I'll take her once a month to the vet to have her anal glands expressed (she's a butt scooter) but I do have to learn about the ear hair.

Any help as usual is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by CandicePK@Apr 8 2005, 10:30 AM
I have decided to start grooming Chloe myself.  The groomer I was going to changed assistants and Chloe has been very stressed the last couple of times we've been.  Since I already do all her face clipping and have a grooming table etc., it doesn't seem like that much more of an investment so insure her safety.  I just don't have a good feeling about this place anymore. 

I digress.  I'm pretty confident about the majority of the process.  I don't however have any idea how to express anal glands or pull her ear hair.  If need be I'll take her once a month to the vet to have her anal glands expressed (she's a butt scooter) but I do have to learn about the ear hair.

Any help as usual is greatly appreciated. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50454
[/QUOTE]

You can just pull the hair ear hairs out with your fingers to start with. I find it easier with Chester our yorkie to do this. I tried with Chelsey but her ear canals are longer and the hair seems to be further down so I bought a hemostat to remove it.

There is a picture in Grooming Tools Pictoral from JMM
http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1857&hl=

Oh regarding the anal glands I leave that to my vet. I heard it smells pretty bad as well.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Get some R7 ear powder and put a little in her ear canal, then use your fingers and gently pull out just the hair blocking the canal itself. The hair that's supposed to come out comes out quite easily. Never try to pull out hair that is growing on the ear flap itself. That is painful and Chloe will never forgive you for it!

I leave the anal glands to my vet if needed. I have heard that if you do it wrong it can leave them quite sore. Lady is on a super high fiber becasue of her diabetes, so I think they naturally express themselves as she's only needed it done a few times.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I would say follow Chelsey's and Lady'smom's advice.
I pluck with tweezers though. I guess it might help for you to start playing with her ears now to get her use to your hands and fingers there. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I second the R7 powder and either fingers or hemostats.

The vet can do the anal glands or you can have the vet teach you how. Don't just try to squeeze as you can hurt them. You also need to know what is normal discharge and what isn't.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Apr 8 2005, 03:32 PM
I second the R7 powder and either fingers or hemostats.

The vet can do the anal glands or you can have the vet teach you how. Don't just try to squeeze as you can hurt them. You also need to know what is normal discharge and what isn't.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50664
[/QUOTE]

JMM, what exactly are anal glands ?? and what is expelled s%$# ?? LOL i had never heard of this until now.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
you should talk to your vet about the anal glands.

sprite used to get it done EVERY month. i started her on a homecooked diet...and she didnt need it for a few months. and then it started again. i needed to add more fiber to her diet.

try adding sweet potato baby food to your dogs food. and..she eats regular cooked carrots and zucchini now. she hasnt had anal gland problems in a year.

every now and then she'll lick or rub her butt against the ground...so i'll make her eat more carrots.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Dog have 2 anal sacs on either side of their rectum. They contain very stinkly liquid/pasty material that normally is expressed when the dog's defecate as a scent marker. Some dogs do not express their anal glands on their own when defecating so they need to have them expressed by the vet. Scooting is a classic sign of anal glands needing to be expressed.

The rule of thumb is if the dog doesn't have problems, don't express them.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If the dog has a lot of hair in its ears, it will trap water inside causing ear infections and can also create a wax and hair plug the blocks the ear. If the dog has sparse ear hair it may not need it plucked. Often you can just pluck a small amount to keep air flowing and not completely pluck the ears clean. Plucking a ton of hair at once can irritate the ear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts