Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wilson comes home in 9 days!!

I have been reading everything I can get my hands on about Maltese, and one thing I am curious about is the ear hair. I have read that it needs to be plucked or trimmed-- however I have yet to see a picture of just the area that needs this.

Can anyone explain this a bit better? If he gets groomed every 6 weeks- can the groomer do it then, or does it need to be done more often?

Oh- and what about the hair around the pads, again is every 6 weeks often enough?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Bijou is having drops in his ears now because the hair was holding in moisture in his ears. I read that you don't have to pull the hair out of a Maltese ears so I didn't do it. I will do it from now on. It doesn't hurt them because I had a toy poodle that I did this for and I still have the hemostats for doing it. The difficult part will getting him to hold still and I have discovered that treats go a long way for cooperation. When I started putting drops in Bijou's ears he was fighting for his life and now that he knows that he sees treats he is almost eager for them.

I have Bijou groomed every 4 weeks and she would probably do whatever I asked.

I hope that this helps.

·
Registered
88 Posts
When you lift up the flap that is their ear, you will be able to see all of the hair coming out of the ear canal. You just have to pull all of that out. It's pretty easy, you can do it with your fingers or with tweezers. My vet confirmed that it should be done, but I am not quite sure why or how often. I guess when it grows back I'll just pull it again. My "Maltese" book says that you should use ear power to desensitize the area but I think it's a waste of money. Koa didn't mind when I pulled it out.

Now I am not sure how you are supposed to clean inside the ear. Koa gets a little wax in there so I try to clean it with rubbing alcohol (without letting the alcohol get into his ear.... not sure if I am doing this right). However, I read on this site that some girl faithfully cleaned her dogs ears with drops everyday and when she stopped for a week, he got his first ear infection. So maybe letting nature do it's thing is the way to go, unless the vet recommends otherwise. (I heard it's the same thing with anal glands... let the dog try to get rid of them himself. If you rely on the groomer to clean them out, then the dog will never learn how to do them on his own, and you'll be relying on the groomer for the rest of your life.)

I think you can do the pads on your own. It is not very hard, and you can't really mess it up astetically. We do Koa's every four weeks. The hair grows fast and supposedly will mat and hurt his feet if it's not done often enough. We just got a pair of kindergarden scissors and they work fine. (Funny story... when I first read that you're supposed to trim the hair inbetween the pads, I thought is said between the toes. Twice I sat with Koa and carefully separated his little toes and trimmed the practically non-existant hair inbetween his little fingers. Now that took patience on both our parts! haha! Trimming the pads is much easier!)

Your vet can guide you a lot on these issues too. Good luck with your new friend! :) :D

·
Registered
234 Posts
The vet can do it for you the first time and show you how to do it. My vet did it for me the first time, at first i was like "OMG what is she doing!" but then she assured me it doesn't hurt them and it had to be done.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
We just visited the Vet last night to have nails trimmed and ears plucked. My groomer was not plucking the ears good enough and Puddles got an ear infection. Now the vet does it and they are completely clear of hair when we leave. He only charges me $10.00.

·
Registered
552 Posts
When you lift up the flap that is their ear, you will be able to see all of the hair coming out of the ear canal. You just have to pull all of that out. It's pretty easy, you can do it with your fingers or with tweezers. My vet confirmed that it should be done, but I am not quite sure why or how often. I guess when it grows back I'll just pull it again. My "Maltese" book says that you should use ear power to desensitize the area but I think it's a waste of money. Koa didn't mind when I pulled it out.

Now I am not sure how you are supposed to clean inside the ear. Koa gets a little wax in there so I try to clean it with rubbing alcohol (without letting the alcohol get into his ear.... not sure if I am doing this right). However, I read on this site that some girl faithfully cleaned her dogs ears with drops everyday and when she stopped for a week, he got his first ear infection. So maybe letting nature do it's thing is the way to go, unless the vet recommends otherwise. (I heard it's the same thing with anal glands... let the dog try to get rid of them himself. If you rely on the groomer to clean them out, then the dog will never learn how to do them on his own, and you'll be relying on the groomer for the rest of your life.)

I think you can do the pads on your own. It is not very hard, and you can't really mess it up astetically. We do Koa's every four weeks. The hair grows fast and supposedly will mat and hurt his feet if it's not done often enough. We just got a pair of kindergarden scissors and they work fine. (Funny story... when I first read that you're supposed to trim the hair inbetween the pads, I thought is said between the toes. Twice I sat with Koa and carefully separated his little toes and trimmed the practically non-existant hair inbetween his little fingers. Now that took patience on both our parts! haha! Trimming the pads is much easier!)

Your vet can guide you a lot on these issues too. Good luck with your new friend! :) :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113346
[/quot

I agree with Koa. The only thing different that my vet told me is on cleaning the ears when they are dirty is to take a cotton ball with vinegar on it and to only clean the outer ear. I had never heard of alcohol, I guess it wouldn't hurt. He told me if you put stuff in the ear that it could lead to ear infections.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Sir N DESPISES ear hair plucking time and will try to wedge himself under the sofa to get away when he sees me getting ready. Little C, who loves anything and everything to do with grooming, comes up wagging her entire body, ready and excited to get started. She also loves to have her toe nails clipped. Sir N hates anything and everything to do with grooming and she LOVES it all. Weird. She even loves to get blow-dried and when I'm doing my own hair, wants to be in my lap and have the hair dryer aimed at her now and then.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by NC's Mom@Oct 26 2005, 03:14 PM
Sir N DESPISES ear hair plucking time and will try to wedge himself under the sofa to get away when he sees me getting ready.  Little C, who loves anything and everything to do with grooming, comes up wagging her entire body, ready and excited to get started.  She also loves to have her toe nails clipped.  Sir N hates anything and everything to do with grooming and she LOVES it all.  Weird.  She even loves to get blow-dried and when I'm doing my own hair, wants to be in my lap and have the hair dryer aimed at her now and then.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113760
[/QUOTE]

AWWW she is such a girly girl!!!

Thanks everyone for the great advice, y'all are all so helpful!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.