Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does Cloud keep getting infections? This time it's so bad, it's not even funny. He had chunks of stuff in his ear. I still have the tresaderm(sp.?) so I'm starting to use that again on him. This is the 3rd of 4th time he's gotten an ear infection and he's not even a yr old! This time the infection's different. Usually, he scratches his ears like crazy. He didn't do any scratching this time so that's why I didn't catch it soon. You can not even imagine how many qtips I've used these past 3 days! I used a little bit of peroxide in his ears. Also, his ears didn't stink at all! Which I'm so surprise because his first infection you dont even have to put your nose to his ear and you can smell the funk. After I put the peroxide (on the qtip), in his ear, the next day, I smelled a little stinkiness.

Is it even an infection if he's not itching? When I first saw it, I thought it was blood. Can his ear be bleeding? How can it be bleeding? I remember cleaning his ears one day and I must have stuck him too hard because he screamed. I wonder if that had anything to do with it.
Noriko hasn't had an infection, yet. I wonder what makes Cloud so proned to it. Pisse me off...

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi has only had the one ear infection, so I don't have a lot of experience with them. I would suggest going to the vet to have him look at the ear and also to ask what you can do to prevent the ear infections. Do you pull the hair from inside the ear? Do you use a ear drying solution after baths?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I should get that powder thingy, huh? I don't have to use that on Noriko and she never has issues (knock on wood
) Last time I went to the vet was to talk about Cloud's bad knees. And we talked about his ear issue and I told him I clean Cloud's ears out ever other day and he told me not to clean it that often. Now look what happened!
I don't blame him. I think Cloud's prone to it.

I am the queen of plucking. I pluck every 2 weeks. They stay pretty still when I pluck their ears. I'm just stumped.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
The perioxide might be drying his ears out too much. There are different kinds of cleaners out there. I have a combo cleaner and dryer that I put in Lexi's ears after baths, so once a week. But she isn't prono to ear infections.

You could see if your vet has one that you buy from him. That way you know you are getting the right kind. He might have something that you can use that works better then the ones you get at petstores.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Also found this
Many dogs with chronic or recurrent ear infections have allergy problems or low thyroid function (hypothyroidism).  If underlying disease is found, it must be diagnosed and treated, if at all possible.  If this cannot be done, the dog is less likely to have a favorable response to treatment.  Also, the dog might respond temporarily, but the infection will relapse at a later time (usually when ear medication is discontinued).[/B]
Prevention
Pet owners can help their pets avoid ear infections by practicing preventative care at home. This is especially important for those animals that have pendulous ears, have lots of hair in their ears, or have allergies or other medical problems that make them prone to ear infections. A weekly ear cleaning with a veterinarian-recommended ear cleansing solution can minimize or prevent infections. Such a cleaning provides other benefits, as well.

"Weekly ear cleanings get the pet owner to really see the ear on a routine basis, allowing him or her to notice any early warning signs of infection," says AAHA veterinarian Dr. LeeAnn Dumars. "And they get the pet used to having its ears handled, making exams and medication administration easier when necessary."

In addition to ear cleanings, pets with lots of hair on the inside ear flap should have those hairs plucked periodically by their groomer or veterinarian.

"Pet owners with animals that have chronic ear problems must realize that life-long preventative care and maintenance will be necessary to ensure their pet's good health," says Dr. Dumars.[/B]

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley has never had an infection (knock on wood)- I do pull his ear hairs every few weeks...and I use Swim Ear every time I give him a bath...in addition to an ear cleaner/dryer stuff that I got on Petedge. So far, so good. I tried the cotton in the ears during bath and that was a joke! It just fell out. The swim ear is alcohol based and dries them out good.

Poor baby...maybe just more prone to them....needs his tonsils/adenoids out. That is what they do to skin kids!!!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Good link, Kristi.

That's what I was going to suggest, a culture. I have sinus problems and chronic infections so I have learned by experience that constant infections can mean that the original infection never cleared up entirely.

We just had to do that with Lady for a urinary tract infection that wouldn't clear up. We found out that Clavamox, not Baytril, was the antibiotic she needed.

Cost me close to $300 to find out, though. The culture alone was $75!

Lady is the money pit!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by LadysMom@Nov 19 2004, 12:37 PM
Lady is the money pit!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17256
[/QUOTE]

And she'll never go to college to be a doctor or lawyer either! LOL the XOXO's that she gives you is a good trade, I'm sure. I'm going to the groomers tomorrow so I'm going to ask for her opinion first.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I used to pluck Kodies ears.. but not anymore.. I do not use anything on his ears after a bath either. Kodie has only had one ear infection and it was when I first got him. He had yellow crusties and he wouldnt let you touch his ears! It was badd... but that cleared up and nothing since! <knock on wood>
I know how hard it is when they have a ear infection! I hope your babies get better soon!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Dr. Mike has a lot of good information about ear infections. It does sound like allergies from what he says.

http://www.vetinfo.com/dogear.html

Lady has allergies and my vet recommended giving her fish oil like Dr. Mike suggested. I give her 3V caps and it really seems to help.

We had an Irish Setter who had chronic ear infections. My mom swore by Panalog. I think you need a prescription so you have to either get it from your vet or get him to write you one, but it's pretty inexpensive - $5 or $6 a tube, as I recall. You might ask your vet or groomer about it.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i was thinking allergies also...it is now found that food allergies are a common cause for ear infections but can also be an inhaled allergy ( they are the most common cause of recurrent ear infections), no they dont have to be itchy for their to be an infection. i would see a vet for it, because if it goes too far the ear can get so inflammed that it closes the canal then it will cost even more money to fix.

V

·
0 Posts
I would seriously explore the allergy connection. Even if the dog is not exhibiting classic symptoms of allergy like itching or paw licking or red rim eye irritation it still could be an allergy...and likely a food allergy. I have experience with this one! So, if you need any information get in touch.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by vita@Nov 19 2004, 08:58 PM
I would seriously explore the allergy connection. Even if the dog is not exhibiting classic symptoms of allergy like itching or paw licking or red rim eye irritation it still could be an allergy...and likely a food allergy. I have experience with this one! So, if you need any information get in touch.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17353
[/QUOTE]

So much to learn. What an information overload. Well, I guess what I'm going to do is change their food when their biljacs is up. I'm going to change it to adult since Cloud's bday is dec 21st. I really liked the biljacs too. Is the adult biljacs consider a change?

For Noriko, she's always chewed on her feet. That was part of the reason I kept changing their food. Noriko also started getting HORRIBLE tear staining. She had tearing issues, but not staining until now

For Cloud, he nibbles at his feet at times but not as much as Noriko. He started his tear staining the same time Noriko did. And the excessive gas I've notice (but someone told me it may be because I'm spending too much time and it may be normal).
They're both from totally different breeds.
I'm never going to have kids!

V

·
0 Posts
If I had to guess, sight unseen, I would investigate allergies..specifically food allergies. I think over plucking the ears is a mistake.It selts upan environment where bacteria can take hold because of the irritation caused. That atmosphere is as conducive to ear infections are too much hair in the ear...blocking off ear circulation.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When you say over plucking do you mean plucking too much hair or do you mean that I should wait longer to pluck his ear? I don't do anything different with his ears than I do with Noriko's. Well, the only thing different that I do is putting that ear cleanser in his ear

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko+Nov 19 2004, 01:59 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@Nov 19 2004, 12:37 PM
Lady is the money pit!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17256
And she'll never go to college to be a doctor or lawyer either! LOL the XOXO's that she gives you is a good trade, I'm sure. I'm going to the groomers tomorrow so I'm going to ask for her opinion first.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17263
[/B][/QUOTE]
And I bet she never talks back to her mommy! I hope that your pup is feeling better.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts