Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Ear infection medication question

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Laceys mom 
#1 ·
I have a question for Jackie or Jaimie. Anyone else is free to jump in, too. Jolie had an ear infection about 9 months ago and the vet gave her Tri-Otic. I used it for the whole course of treatment and it cleared the infection up. She was at the groomer today who mentioned that she wasseems to be starting with an ear infection. I noticed some gunk last night when I was brushing her, so this confirmed that thought. I will call the vet tomorrow morning to see if she can come in, but meanwhile I still have that tube of Tri-Otic that is more than half full. If she seems to be in any discomfort and I can't see the vet, can I use that medication. I'm not trying to self diagnose, I just want to make sure that I have something to use before I head into the weekend. The ears were MUCH worse last time, but the color of the discharge is the same brownish color and stinky.

Thanks!

#4 ·
I would not use an ear medication without having the vet check the ears first to be sure the ear drum is intact and that the medication is not contraindicated if there is a lot of inflammation or a different type of infection going on. For dogs with chronic ear infections, the owners often get use to telling pretty accurately how bad the ear is and we will recommend restarting it over the phone. In her case, I would see the vet first since it has been quite a while and she doesn't have chronic ear problems.

#5 ·
Originally posted by JMM@Mar 31 2005, 05:30 PM
I would not use an ear medication without having the vet check the ears first to be sure the ear drum is intact and that the medication is not contraindicated if there is a lot of inflammation or a different type of infection going on. For dogs with chronic ear infections, the owners often get use to telling pretty accurately how bad the ear is and we will recommend restarting it over the phone. In her case, I would see the vet first since it has been quite a while and she doesn't have chronic ear problems.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47934
[/QUOTE]

JMM,

Have you heard of using oral antibiotics for ear infections? Miko had a horrible ear infections about a month ago. The drops weren't working and then the other ear got infected, so the vet (after determining that it was a bacterial infection), prescribed 10 days of antibiotic. I was just wondering if that is commonly done?

#9 ·
Thanks for the help. I got Jolie in to see the vet today. I cleaned her ear with that green cleanser that contains aloe (forget the name; vet gave it to me). She never really acted like her ears were bothering her - no head shaking, scratching, etc. The vet said that there was no infection at this time. Guess the gunk is just regular ear stuff that has collected. I'm glad that I didn't jump the gun and start using the antibiotic.

Thanks again!

#10 ·
Glad to hear no ear infection. Lacey has been doing pretty good (knock on wood) and hasn't had an ear infection in a month now. I always know when Lacey has an ear infection before she starts shaking her head...she gets tearstaining and her breath gets a sour smell. I can tell you from experience if your baby gets an infection, get to the vet, use the medication as directed and then take your little one back a week later to have the vet retest and look to make sure infection is cleared up. Sure it cost to take your baby back in but this way you make sure infection is gone or if you need to have a different medication. And I can tell you from experience that sometimes the infection is not cleared up all the way, and it will come back worse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.