Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called the vet yesterday because I found a little brown stuff in one of Phoebe's ears. They can't see her until monday, so they said in the meantime I can use a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water to clean it. Has anyone else heard of that?

Well anyway I just tried it, there was alot more stuff this time, and its very dark brown. I just took a q-tip with a little of this solution and rubbed it just inside her ear. Now shes shaking her head alot, which is the first sign other than the gunk that its even bothering her

I was going to make a post about her totally red face, but now I think she could have had this for quite some time without me realizing. I've read some other posts, seems alot of us have this going on now. I am going to look for the Vet ear cleaner stuff too after this. I just wish she'd stop shaking her lil head
I feel like I really stirred something up.

Since I have to wait until Monday, any tips are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry@Oct 7 2005, 05:35 PM
I called the vet yesterday because I found a little brown stuff in one of Phoebe's ears.  They can't see her until monday, so they said in the meantime I can use a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water to clean it.  Has anyone else heard of that? 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107657
[/QUOTE]

I actually have heard of that from a lady with a maltese we met on a street!! She said her mom used it all the time on her maltipoo who used to get ear infections all the time. I think its probably worth a try????? But what do I know...

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I think someone else just mentionded that the other day. So I think it is ok especially if your vet advised you to do it. She is proberly shaking her head bedause you loosened it up and maybe ichie now. I think she will be fine until monday.
chelsey had this for weeks before I realized it was an infection and not dirty ears. well every time I cleaned it out it got worste and darker. Then I called the vet it took nearly a month or clear up completely. But chelsey had it really bad... Just follow the vets instructions until monday when they can see her. p.s my vet told me not to use ear cleaner. I asked her about it and she told me not to use it. I guess each vet is different. so far chelsey has not had an other ear infection

I hope your puppy feels better soon. I just though about it. if the ear is sore then the vingar would definely feel ichy.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry@Oct 7 2005, 08:35 PM
I called the vet yesterday because I found a little brown stuff in one of Phoebe's ears.   They can't see her until monday, so they said in the meantime I can use a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water to clean it.   Has anyone else heard of that? 

Well anyway I just tried it, there was alot more stuff this time, and its very dark brown.  I just took a q-tip with a little of this solution and rubbed it just inside her ear.  Now shes shaking her head alot, which is the first sign other than the gunk that its even bothering her

I was going to make a post about her totally red face, but now I think she could have had this for quite some time without me realizing.  I've read some other posts, seems alot of us have this going on now.   I am going to look for the Vet ear cleaner stuff too after this.  I just wish she'd stop shaking her lil head
  I feel like I really stirred something up. 

Since I have to wait until Monday, any tips are appreciated.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107657
[/QUOTE]

I have been treating Sassy for an ear yeast infection for over 2 weeks now. She started with shaking her head and a little scratching. Check her temperature, if it is elevated it may actually be an ear infection, which with the brown junk it sounds like it probably is. Sassy did not have any visible ear junk nor did she have any smell. If you have any baby benedryl it will help with any itchiness that she might feel. I think the vinegar would help kill any fungus. I would definitely try that. I am so sorry that you precious baby is having this problem. I know how you feel. I think Sassy probably had this for a week or so before i noticed that she wasn't just scratching her ear. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
It's funny chelsey had that gunk in her ears and never scratched it once... I guess each puppy is different. But it did smell. yuk... I'm glad that is over.
oh here is a tip when you get the drops for the ears rember to give teats after putting them in .. then she wont squarm the next time you apply it.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
well the q-tips could have irritated her ears. but the solution is safe to use. next time fill the ear with the solution and let her shake it out..that way you dont abrade the ear canal with anything. hope she feels better soon!

btw i see her in ur avatar and her hair has gotten so long! shes beautiful! you should post more pics of her!

·
Registered
25 Posts
One thing I can add that my vet receintly told me about ear infections is not to use a q tip to remove or clean the ear. She said to to use a soft cotton ball. If the ear is inflammed a q tip will scratch the inside of the delicate ear lining and the inflamtion will just get in there a little worse.
I have a little lady that has had an on going ear infection for sometime. She has a small ear canal on one side. The ear infection was left untreated by a former owner and now I have spent upward of 900. to treat it and it looks like it will be on going too. The only alternative is to take it out and the risk/ benefit is not good on the advise of my vet we are going to control the problem.
Hope this helps some and that you do take care of it early.
Cathy

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Janet,
The most recent ear wash that the vet gave me for Jolie smells exactly like Vinegar! How is Phoebe doing since you saw the vet?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LadyM- Thanks
I got off my butt and posted pictures in another tread especially for you

I followed LadyMs advice, and put the vinegar and water mix in her ear and let her shake it out. I guess my reason for wondering about that, is that I thought the reason she got this infection was from getting water in the ear in the first place. I think had I started that sooner it might have not let it get so out of hand.

It was just last night, so I havent seen a difference yet. The vet checked it out and said its yeast, and yes it could have been from water in the ear. She gave me some drops and also some solution to help dry the ears after bathing.

Cathy- I remember getting swimmers ear infections all the time as a child, and screaming in pain from them even as a teenager, trying to sleep at night. They can be very painful. I hope yours clears up soon and that Phoebe's is a one time thing.

Thanks all

·
Registered
267 Posts
Originally posted by clmaltese@Oct 11 2005, 12:54 AM
One thing I can add that my vet receintly told me about ear infections is not to use a q tip to remove or clean the ear.  She said to to use a soft cotton ball.  If the ear is inflammed a q tip will scratch the inside of the delicate ear lining and the inflamtion will just get in there a little worse.
I have a little lady that has had an on going ear infection for sometime.  She has a small ear canal on one side.  The ear infection was left untreated by a former owner and now I have spent upward of 900. to treat it and it looks like it will be on going too.  The only alternative is to take it out and the risk/ benefit is not good on the advise of my vet we are going to control the problem.
Cathy
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108301
[/QUOTE]
That's interesting because my vet told me to clean out the ears with a Q-tip. When he had a yeast infection, that's what I used, it seems to get the wax out pretty good.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Bridge+Oct 11 2005, 12:09 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-clmaltese
@Oct 11 2005, 12:54 AM
One thing I can add that my vet receintly told me about ear infections is not to use a q tip to remove or clean the ear.  She said to to use a soft cotton ball.  If the ear is inflammed a q tip will scratch the inside of the delicate ear lining and the inflamtion will just get in there a little worse.
I have a little lady that has had an on going ear infection for sometime.  She has a small ear canal on one side.  The ear infection was left untreated by a former owner and now I have spent upward of 900. to treat it and it looks like it will be on going too.  The only alternative is to take it out and the risk/ benefit is not good on the advise of my vet we are going to control the problem.
Cathy
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108301
That's interesting because my vet told me to clean out the ears with a Q-tip. When he had a yeast infection, that's what I used, it seems to get the wax out pretty good.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108411
[/B][/QUOTE]

I was also told not to use Q-tips becuase it will push the stuff back down... I was also told my my own Dr that we would not use them either. Just use cotton ball. I wonder why they make them if not for ears. strange.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts