Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Our baby has been shaking his head and scratching his ears most of the day today (when he is not sleeping). I gave him a bath yesterday and I just don't know if he has an ear infection or just water in his ear? I tried looking into his ear (but it appears to bother him - more than the other ear). There is no change in color, but it does have some discharge. He has never had an ear infection, so I don't know what the signs are. We have been to so many vets (for different reason) that I just hesitate to go (although I will go) since I worry that our vet will think that I am insane?

Thank you for your help!!

Olga

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I'm sure your vet will not think you are insane... just a concerned mommy. A discharge from the ear is not normal. Your pup is likely uncomfortable since he is shaking his head and scratching. I would definitely go to the vet tomorrow, so he can get some medicine and feel better.....

V

·
0 Posts
Absoletely take your dog to the vet. It sounds like you would be catching the infection right at the beginning if there is one and that is great. A round of meds and it will be gone. The construction of a dog's ear is different than humans so I think it is unlikely that they experience that water in the ear, let me jump on one foot and get it out of there kind of thing!
Any good vet is grateful when people bring the pets in early enough where treatment is straighforward and easy.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
yeah i would get it checked out by a vet...sometimes if it is yeast it will have a sour smell to it. but i would bring him in..dont worry the vet never has a problem with people caring about their animals. :D

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Nothing that ear drops cant help
. It'll be ok once your doctor takes a look at it. Get it done as soon as you can because I can't imagine having an itch and not being able to scratch it! LOL

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! You guys are great. I will definitely take him in.

We were just at an emergency vet this past Saturday because he had an erection all day long and couldn't pee. Prior to this, he had all this bloodwork done b/c I thought he seemed so sleepy all the time (it turned out his diet was too high in protein and elevated his BUN and now he is so much better on a low protein diet). And prior to this he was stung by a bee, prior to had a ton of evaluations for his luxating patella and the list goes on. And he is only 21 months old (and he hates going to the vet and cries just like a baby- so sad).

Anyways, I really appreciate your responses.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
well sounds like u brought him in for good reasons! dont worry about worrying too much..u seem to know when ur baby needs a vet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts