Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, just wanted to share that since Mitzi's last bath she has been scrathing both her ears alot!!! So i took her to her vet and he took a look at them and said they were irritated and had an infection :eek: . So then he gets clippers to cut hair
I say "YOUR GONNA CUT HER HAIR" he says "YEAH THE EARS NEED VENTILATION" Is this true? i mean i beleive him hes a vet im not. So i go are u going to be able to tell when u cut it ? are u gonna cut alot? where are u gonna cut it from? So he shows me where and he cuts just alittle in front of each ear lobe entrance. So i said
and he gave me this antibiotic for her ears he said 2-3 drops in each ear 1 a day. Have you guys ever heard of this med Tresaderm. thats what im giving her. Thanks all for reading.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I think most of us gently pluck the hair out from the entrance to the ear canals (I use R7 ear powder and my fingers). Just a guess, but I wonder if your vet decided to cut the hair because it would be painful to pluck it since she had an infection?

Floppy earred dogs are prone to infections. You have to keep the ears dry and clean and free of hair so they don't stay moist.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Actually I've been told on here and by my vet to only pluck the hair if there is a problem. Kind of the if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I do clean Lexi's ears with cleaner and wipe them out after baths.

If your dog is more prone to ear infections then it is recommended that you pluck the hair. If your dog doesn't have ear infections it is recommended leaving the hair.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Kodie had an ear infection when he was a pup... it was really badddd. I took him to the vet and they pulled hair out of his ear and put in these drops also. Kodie HATED it! Anyway... I only plucked the hairs in his ears for until he was about 1yr old... I havent plucked them since.... and no problems.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by LadysMom@Mar 8 2005, 04:52 AM
I think most of us gently pluck the hair out from the entrance to the ear canals (I use R7 ear powder and my fingers). Just a guess, but I wonder if your vet decided to cut the hair because it would be painful to pluck it since she had an infection?

Floppy earred dogs are prone to infections. You have to keep the ears dry and clean and free of hair so they don't stay moist.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41056
[/QUOTE]
Well they didnt pluck the hairs, he cut the hairs like where the entrance to there ears are. I also didnt know that floppy eared dogs are more prone to infections

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Mar 8 2005, 06:26 AM
Actually I've been told on here and by my vet to only pluck the hair if there is a problem.  Kind of the if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  I do clean Lexi's ears with cleaner and wipe them out after baths.

If your dog is more prone to ear infections then it is recommended that you pluck the hair.  If your dog doesn't have ear infections it is recommended leaving the hair.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41074
[/QUOTE]
Well when she came home and her first bath i plucked her ear hairs
and i used the R7 ear cleaner to clean her ears, the hair inside her ear near the ear canal or whatever its called, is like the color of the dogs tearstains.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Tresaderm is a good drop for lots of different types of ear infections. It should clear things up.

It there is heavy hair in front of a drop ear, trimming some of it back like the vet did can definately help with ventilation in there. Most cockers and other spaniels have that done when they are groomed. Plucking again depends on the dog. Some dogs need it, others don't. I'm glad she's all taken care of with the vet and has her ear meds now.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Mar 8 2005, 06:52 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41056
[/QUOTE]

You know, I have tried to "pluck" the hair and she screams so much I just gave up. Maybe I am not plucking the right hairs?? You said the "entrance to the ear canals". Anyone have a pictorial on that one?? I am confused....

·
Registered
894 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Mar 8 2005, 10:53 AM
Here is my opinion, and that is all it is--an opinion.  Toby hasn't had any problems with ear infections and neither has Wally--both are floppy eared dogs.  I do clean their ears once a week with an ear cleaner and I believe this to be the reason why.  Every Saturday, I squirt a little ear cleaner in both ears and rub the base of the ear and then wipe out the excess with a cotton ball.  They hate it, I admit it, but they get a treat afterwards so I think that makes up for some of it. 

I do not pluck Toby's ear hairs...I completely agree with Lexi's Mom--if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41130
[/QUOTE]

That works for me!! Sis gets her ears cleaned right before bath time with a good ear cleaner and cotton balls. She gets her bath, and they get wiped out once more for good measure then "swimmers ear" drops put in to dry up any water that got down there. If I don't have to "pluck" bathtime won't be as bad......

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
When Cloud had earmites and a yeast infection (not at the same time) in his ears I had to use tresederm. It works great! Basically, what it does is it smothers the yeasts and mites, killing them off. My doctor told me to use it twice a day for 2 wks. You should see improvements and less scratching in the next couple of days, but do use it on them as prescribed.

Plucking shouldn't hurt them. Your baby shouldnt be in pain unless you are plucking the wrong hair. They are scared because you're sticking something in there ears and because, I think, there's a loud sound when you pluck out the hairs. Noriko rarely gets her ears plucked because she doesn't have that much hair. Cloud does so I do it every month.

I think it's a good idea to cut the hair that's blocking air flowage to their ear. I think it helps prevent growth in the ears.

If you use the liquid cleaners for ears, I think the BEST time to use it is right before a bath. Squirt a few drops in both ears, let is squish around and then give your baby a bath, then dry the ears with cotton afterwards.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"You should see improvements and less scratching in the next couple of days, but do use it on them as prescribed."

You know what, in that same day i saw improvement and i have been seeing it, just yesterday i gave the med and today and her itching is like maybe 2 x a day instaed of like 7 or 8 poor baby, i should of taken her earlier
but she started scratcing more after her second bath

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You know, I have tried to "pluck" the hair and she screams so much I just gave up. Maybe I am not plucking the right hairs?? You said the "entrance to the ear canals". Anyone have a pictorial on that one?? I am confused....

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41107
[/QUOTE]

OK , lets say that when your going to clean there ears, and right where their ear meets there head right there, right at the place they meet, he trimmed the hair there, not inside her ear, i pulled those out in her first bath and i also clean her ears b 4 her bath and to dry them i use a cotton ball with alcohol its what swimmers ear contains i beleive.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I don't think you should clean their ears with alcohol only. That will probably mess up the pH in there ears. And it could cause another infection. You're not suppose to bath them or clean their ears while on the tresederm. (Didn't know if you knew that or not) You're only going to pluck what's inside the ear hole.
And maybe also the rim on the outside of the ear canal.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Lacey gets ear infections. I have learned the hard way what works for us. Every 2 weeks I pluck a little hair from her ears. I have learned that if I wait and do it every month it is just to much for her and she gets an infection. So I do only a little. As soon as she gets an ear infection she gets tearstaining and her breath gets a little sour...so off to the vet as soon as I think she has one. My vet has told me that I am getting very good at detecting them. The last time she looked in Lacey's ears and didn't see any indication she had an ear infection. I insisted and she did a culture on the ears. Sure enough ear infections...bacteria. I keep Lacey's hair that grows close to her ears short. More air movement. I do clean her ears out with a blue solution of some sort that I purchase at the vets. I make sure that I have it all out by gently wiping the inside of her ears out with a cottonball or using a Q-tip. I wrap Lacey in a towel so she has no choice but to let me soak up any solution in her ears when I use the Q-tips. She knows the routine so she is pretty good about letting me do it but with the Q-tips I don't want to take any chances of her moving suddenly and me hurting her. Don't know if this will help or not but I thought I would let you know what I do.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts