Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, when I took Tink to the vet the first time he said he didn't see any earmites but that it looked like she had been treated for them. So when she started shaking her head and rubbing her ears I just bought some Ear Mite treatment and gave it to her for a few days. Now she's started it again and I just got some yucky brown stuff out of her ears. What is that?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
It could be a yeast infection in her ears. Your vet should be able to swab it and look under the microscope to confirm it. Do her ears smell bad? Yeast infections have a stinky smell. My baby has a yeast infection in her ears right now and my vet gave me an ear cleaner to clean her ears every other day and some antibiotic drops to put in her ears every day. Should be cleared up within two weeks.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Re: the maltese ear post: are you plucking the hair from the ears? If not, please ask your vet what his/her recommendations are for that. I have always felt it is best to keep the ear canal and inside ear free of hair to keep dirt and moisture from being wicked in.

Re: German Shepherd, again, please discuss with your vet. I found with my past experience with them, that since the ear stans straight up, it is an open invitation for dirt to come right on in. I used a soft, slightly damp cloth to swab through the ear as mine were groomed. (I didn't leave ears wet at all.) I also did use large cotton balls or gauze squares during baths to help prevent as much water from getting in the ears.

Never clean further than you can easily see. Again, I would always find out what my vet's recommendations are.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Ok, when I took Tink to the vet the first time he said he didn't see any earmites but that it looked like she had been treated for them. So when she started shaking her head and rubbing her ears I just bought some Ear Mite treatment and gave it to her for a few days. Now she's started it again and I just got some yucky brown stuff out of her ears. What is that?

Hi,
I am going through this whole head shaking/ear scratching mess now. Your dog may have a different problem, but my dog has allergies, no mites or infections of any kind. This started in Sept, and one week ago the Vet used a new spray and removed a small piece of hair that was deep. He has finally STOPPED with all his symptoms until last night (now I know it was not the piece of hair he removed) so I reapplied the spray and he stopped again. Vet said he will recheck him in month if still happening. And hope it passes. But we have to tackle one thing at a time (ears now). He is on non grain food at this time. But Vet thinks it is non food related. He called it ATOPY a type of 'breathing in' allergy that would be more common in puppy than food, although he said he is young to have it. I have also found out his Mom sufferers from allergies. I read that there is a 60% chance she would pass it on to a puppy. And so it is not recommended to breed dogs with this problem. This is what I have learned, hope it helps you and your baby is well soon. here is the link to the article I read. http://www.thepetcenter.com/article.aspx?id=3382

1 - 5 of 5 Posts