Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i think my matty has ear mites. i noticed that he would get this dark crusty was in his ears but when i would take him to the groomers he would come back without it. so i assumed it was just dirty yucky stuff. but then, i was at out little bitty pet store in town and noticed they had a spray for ear mites. when i read what the bottle said, it sounds like what matty has. is it necessary to take him to the vet or can i send him to the groomer and get him shaved and then apply this stuff?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If your dog has ear discharge, he should go see a vet to find out what it is. Dark discharge could be mites or bacterial infection or even yeast (most of the time that is a more reddish discharge, but not always). Your vet will want to make sure his ear canal and ear drum look okay before prescribing a safe ear cleaner and appropriate medication.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Bella had ear mites and I took her to the vet. He took a sample of the dark discharge and looked under a microscope and there they were...these tiny little bugs. He cleaned her ears really well and put some medicine that stays for 2 weeks in her ears.

They are all gone now. I would take her to the vet to make sure it's ear mites and not something else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts