Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my vet advised me to NOT ear pluck. She said that IzzyBella's ears are very dirty but even so to not pluck them. She said it's a two edged sword, plucking keeps them clean but plucking causes irritation and infection. What do you guys think? What's been your experience?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
It depends on the dog. If the hair is not too bad and the dog does not have problems, I would not pluck. Plucking a lot of hair at once can cause irritation and infection. If the dog has problems or tons and tons of ear hair, then you start plucking.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I wouldn't pluck dirty ears. I would clean the ears first and then maybe the next day pluck if they get bad. If you pluck a dirty ear, it's more likely to get infected. I was told TO pluck Fantasia’s ears. Her ears tend to stay nice a clean though and I don’t have to pluck often.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I don't pluck Alex's hair, but he never had dirty ears or an infection in his ears.
And there are not many hairs there to pluck anyway. I think dirty ears or infections in ears are related to allergies.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Lady came to me with horrible yeast infections in both ears. She could hardly even hear her ears were so packed with crud and hair. My vet told me it was important to keep her ears plucked. I just use a little R7 ear powder and do it with my fingers so only the hair that comes out easily comes out. I have never noticed her ears being irritated and she hasn't had any infections since.

Why are Izzybella's ears so dirty? That doesn't sound normal for a puppy. Her ears should be pink and clean. Did you vet check the "dirt" under a microscope for ear mites? They're not uncommon in puppies, especially if the breeder wasn't diligent about hygiene.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Chesey had a ear infection as well. my vet and breeder both told me to pulck the hair outl mind you she hardly has any in her ears.
I asked my vet about the cleaning solution and she told me not to use it. jus keep her ears clean.. so i have a bottel at home doing noting but looking pretty now.

Chester has never had a problem with his ears. Knock on wood.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you vet check the "dirt" under a microscope for ear mites? They're not uncommon in puppies, especially if the breeder wasn't diligent about hygiene.[/B]
Yes, they put a qtip in and did a swap and then tested it. Dr. Jones came back in the room and said it was negative for ear mites. Plus I read the other sites and looked at the photos, Izzy's ears didn't look like that so I didn't think it was mites. It's just dirty, more in the one ear than the other.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Not only does plucking depend on the dog, but how often to pluck depends on them too. I rarely pluck Noriko's hair because she doesnt have much. Cloud's ears always gets dirty and the hair in his ears are thicker.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts