Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The vet we went to on Sunday recommended that we pluck Matrix's ears (or have it done). Does anyone know how to pluck their ears? BTW, I read somewhere on here (older post) that a grooming tutorial was going to be posted...was it ever done? if so, can you show me to the thread?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I'm surprised the Vet didn't offer to do it. My groomer use to pluck the ears, when Puddles had an ear infection the Vet said his ears were not clear enough. So, I now have the Vet do it. Only cost me $5 and they are as clean as smooth as a babies butt.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I don't know why she didn't offer...I mean they did his nails...I didn't know that the vet does ears too..but I guess it only makes sense. We're bathing him tonight so I thought it would be good to take care of that...he will be going to the groomers in a couple of weeks...but I didn't want to wait that long to do his ears.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I haven't plucked Max's ears totally, yet. I did have his ear open last night and pulled a few out to see how he would react...he didn't even feel it.

I probably will only trim it down to as far as I can go...that is what I did with my Lhasa and I never had ear problems. I feel bad about plucking.

http://www.groomers.net/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I haven't plucked Max's ears totally, yet. I did have his ear open last night and pulled a few out to see how he would react...he didn't even feel it.

I probably will only trim it down to as far as I can go...that is what I did with my Lhasa and I never had ear problems. I feel bad about plucking.

http://www.groomers.net/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi?[/B]
Don't feel bad, they really don't feel it when you pluck the hair that grows down in their ear canal.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

http://www.groomers.net/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi?[/B]
Don't feel bad, they really don't feel it when you pluck the hair that grows down in their ear canal.
[/B]

REALLY? Do I just pull it out quickly like someone doing eyebrows (not that I ever did my own)? I guess I will see when I try it tonight. The vet said that it was fuzzy..lol

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
We bought special dog tweezers and a powder that makes it less painful and easier to grab the hair. I only do a little at a time, so it doesnt hurt as much. Good luck though!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I owned a poodle many years ago and it was no big deal to pull up the ear flap and use a hemostat to pull the hair out. I have done it to Bijou and it doesn't bother him at all. Putting drops in his ears did start as a challenge until I had plenty of treats for him.

·
Registered
802 Posts
They don't feel it at all??? wow, here I thought they feel the same thing we feel when we get our brows waxed--Ouch!

The hairs are easy to find, they are the ones sprouting out of the ear canal.

He is somewhat letting me trim his eye hair, now. I figured one thing at a time. With the eye hair, I have to keep one finger in his mouth so he can chew while I cut. This way he can't go after the little scissor. Still have to be quick even with that.

·
Registered
126 Posts
They don't feel it at all??? wow, here I thought they feel the same thing we feel when we get our brows waxed--Ouch!

The hairs are easy to find, they are the ones sprouting out of the ear canal.

He is somewhat letting me trim his eye hair, now. I figured one thing at a time. With the eye hair, I have to keep one finger in his mouth so he can chew while I cut. This way he can't go after the little scissor. Still have to be quick even with that.[/B]
The first time I saw the vet do this I was very surprised that it didn't hurt her. When I pull the hair out of Lacie's ears she doesn't even flinch. So I guess she doesn't feel a thing. Not at all like doing your brows. I also use a hemostat but you could use tewessers (man, did I mutilate that word). Just don't pull the hair on the outside of the ear flap because that does get their attention. Just the hair that grows inside the canal.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I purchased the powder last night and it didn't work. My baby must be ultra sensitive b/c he would flinch before I touch his ear. I had a professional groomer show me how to do it and he did it to Matrix..and Matrix stayed still when I did it he moved. I think we're going to have to get a professional to do this for him. I just know that his ears are bothering him b/c he rubs on the grown with his ears. The vet said that everything looked good but I'm still afraid of infection. He did allow me to trim it a bit for him...but that was only one ear..lol.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OKay I just realized that my baby probably just doesn't like it when I do anything to him...haha. Yesterday he went to our local groomers and they plucked his ears without any problems. I swear it makes it seem as though I'm telling stories about him...haha.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I just tried plucking some ear from Chulita ears because they seem to be getting pretty furry and I don't think I will make it to the groomer until the last week of this month when I'm off for a full week. Now....when you pluck them out....do they almost just slide out and are long???? It wasn't like I had to PLUCK them. I grabbed it with a tweezer and they just slid out with almost no effort and they were long. IS THAT THE NORM??? HELP!

·
Registered
337 Posts
When I plucked Pudding's ear hair, it was very long as well. He doesn't seem to mind though. Also, he loves to get his ears cleaned, I have no idea why! lol

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
The vet we went to on Sunday recommended that we pluck Matrix's ears (or have it done). Does anyone know how to pluck their ears? BTW, I read somewhere on here (older post) that a grooming tutorial was going to be posted...was it ever done? if so, can you show me to the thread?[/B]
Here are three great tutorials by JMM, our SM grooming expert! I'm not sure if there is info in them about ear plucking though.

Grooming Tools Pictorial

Every Day Top Knot Pictorial

Puppy Cut Pictorial

·
Registered
285 Posts
i was just showing my fiance this thread... because i was worried about plucking leise's ears & he just pulled some out of her ear without me knowing & said, "wow it really doesn't hurt her!".. i'm sure if you do it real quick for your puppy he wont move anymore..

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
Just depends on the dog. Frosty tries to take my arms off when I pull the ear canal hair. I can't do it at all now. When he was a pup the vet tech would get hold of the hair and twist it around a hemostat, then pull a whole hunk at a time. I think that must have hurt, and now he thinks it will hurt when I just touch it, so he goes for me. They never forget! If anything was "bad" once, it's going to be remembered. So be careful especially with a hemostat. If you acidently get a hair on the ear flap instead of in the canal it does hurt. The canal is long enough that if you put the hemostat a little down inside you won't hurt the ear even if the dog jumps. Or so my vet tells me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts