Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I use Swim Ear to dry the ears after a bath and a cleaning/drying solution that I got from petedge sometimes. The Swim Ear does fine, so I usually just use it. I don't use powder when I pluck his ears...I just use my fingers and reach in there. We haven't had any problems with this. I felt that that grabbing/seeing the hairs was harder with the powder than without. Knock on wood...no ear probs yet.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Petsmart carries the ear powder. I don't know if they have Oticalm or not. We carry it at the clinic so I just get it there. It is a DVM brand product so I would be Revival Animal Health has it. Your own vet probably has a good cleaner they can sell you. I'm not a big fan of the petstore cleaners. Most petsmarts do sell chlorhexiderm cleaner which is fine for an ear with no problems. I switched to Oticalm because one of my dogs has a poor immune system and has become particularly prone to skin infections. He had one small lesion in his ear canal and chlorhexiderm isn't good for that.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
hi! i bought the ear powder---but you dont really need it. and i just grab the hair and pull really fast. lol. sprite and ellie dont seem in pain. i know that i've hurt sprite in the beginning...i felt soo bad. she cried a little. so now i have a "technique" to seperate all the outer hair from the inner hair.

and a couple of days later i use a liquid cleaner. i got it from the vet but im sure any one from petsmart or whatever store is fine.

you can also ask a petsmart person to show you really quick how to clean the ears. they have a puppy program thingy where if you have a new dog, they show you how to groom yourself.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you all so much for replying to my question. I agree with u, i dont think id have to use it but i think id rather lol i dont think i can come to pull them i woudl think im hurting her
. but im gonna get it still. Im also planning on pulling the hairs out with a scissor type tweezer. Thanks again.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Princess doesn't mind getting her ear hair pulled. I don't do anything else other than pull her hair and clean her ears with Q tips.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I use the Oticlam ear cleaner and R7 ear powder. I have hemostats, but I just use my fingers as my vet told me that was the best way to pluck Lady's ears. The hair comes out very easily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts