Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bella's ears have been bothering her for quite a while now. When I took her to get groomer, they told me that they were super super dirty (more than normal) and that the vet should check them out. I had her spayed and that's when the vet checked them. He said that they were fine that they just had a lot of wax. Well almost two weeks later, they are still bothering her and they are super dirty (I've been cleaning them)

I have an appointment with her vet again for tomorrow so we'll see what it is? Could it be an infection? If so, why didn't the vet treat it when he saw her 2 weeks ago. I'm so confused.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I think Cloud's Mom just went through this. You could go back and read that thread. She even posted pictures.

Healthy ears are nice and pink and clean smelling. "Super dirty" ears aren't normal, especially if they've just been cleaned. I'd be suspicious of either a yeast infection (so common in flap earred dogs) or even ear mites although it seems odd that a vet would miss it.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Awww poor lil Bella. If it stinks like, I don't know, SH**, then it's ear mites. And if it smells sour or vinegary, it's yeast infection. Was the wax brown when you first showed it to your vet? My vet said that when the pH of their ear is off, then it could cause problems and you have to be careful with how often you clean them. You definitely should not clean them too often. It's weird.

Same thing pretty much with me when I visited my vet. He said it was nothing and then a week later, I noticed an infection. Sometimes, you can't even smell it.

It'll be ok. She'll be better in notime once you get the drops (2 wks to be exact).
Kisses for lil Bella!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't clean them that often at all. I hadn't even touched them until the groomer said something, then the vet cleaned them really well and she's back to being disgusting after only 2 weeks.

I haven't smelled them but I will now when I get home...gross! Oh well the things we got to do for our children

·
Registered
489 Posts
Originally posted by mylittlebella+Dec 29 2004, 04:54 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-adorableaccentsdogbows.com
@Dec 29 2004, 05:53 PM
Is the hair around her ears stained at all?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26133

Yes, it's that brown color too. What does it mean?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26134
[/B][/QUOTE]
I'd say it's probably red yeast although I'm not a vet. My little Minnie just got over one. My vet gave me an otibiotic ointment. The ingredience are (Gentamicin sulfate, Betamethasone valerate, USP and Clotrimazole, USP ointment) Maybe it's the same thing. It worked really well and only took a couple of days to make a big difference.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
sounds like a yeast infection to me...does she lick her feet too?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Originally posted by mylittlebella@Dec 30 2004, 12:53 PM
Just got back from the vet and Bella has ear mites...how gross.  He showed them to me under the microscope and they were disgusting.  He gave her some medicine that lasts 2 weeks in her ears and she should be ok.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26342
[/QUOTE]
chico licks his front paws is that bad ?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Ear mites are really itchy! Poor Bella. Good thing you took her to the vet. I wonder where she picked those up? The groomer? After Jongee's skin infection, I really question how sanitary some of these groomers are.

Denise, chewing and licking feet is a red flag for food allergies. What do you feed Chico? Anything with corn or wheat?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
yes ear probs along with feet chewing are classic food allergy signs.

eww ear mites i hate them...u musta had more of a black goop in the ears than red. goes to show pictures speak a thousand words...easy to miss diagnose w/o seeing it. glad you brought her in and its getting taken care of. at least those little buggers are easy to defeat!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Dec 30 2004, 02:35 PM
yes ear probs along with feet chewing are classic food allergy signs.

eww ear mites i hate them...u musta had more of a black goop in the ears than red.  goes to show pictures speak a thousand words...easy to miss diagnose w/o seeing it.  glad you brought her in and its getting taken care of.  at least those little buggers are easy to defeat!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26355
[/QUOTE]

The vet said the same thing. He said that this was much easier than a yeast infection so in that sence, I'm glad. Her ears were really black inside but did have a little red/burgundy color.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a feeling they were ear mites! My rabbit once got ear mites...and there was this dark coloured crusty substance in his ear...which really was the blood from the bites that the ear mites did
My rabbit always moved his head around and tryed pulling his ears with his feet. But then I bought this medicine from the petstore and they fully went away in a week. I think ear mites are a bit different in dogs though. But there should be always the dark crusty stuff in the ear if they are ear mites though....ewww dry blood...poor doggie. I hope Bella get well soon!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts