Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok girls i need some advice. Q-tip has been scratching the inside of his ears and shaking his head alot. Could this be an ear infection or ear mites?? The inside has a bad odor and has a brownish color to the hair inside. I asked the Vet about a month ago and he really didnt help me much all he said was "he might need his hairs to get plucked soon" but it seems to have gotten worse. I bath Q once a week and clean the outer of his ears with a q-tip (not him) :D and i often remove brown stuff is this normal?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
No it is not normal. This happened to Chesley and Idid not know what it was and kept cleaning her ears.. then more woud just come back. your puppy may have an ear infection. Please make a vet appointment and insist they test for ear mites as well.
Hope Q-tip feel better very soon

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Chelsey@Mar 16 2005, 12:55 AM
No it is not normal.  This happened to Chesley and Idid not know what it was and kept cleaning her ears.. then more woud just come back.  your puppy may have an ear infection.  Please make a vet appointment  and insist they test for ear mites as well.
Hope Q-tip feel better very soon
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=43684
[/QUOTE]
did she have ear mites? how serious is this if he does have ear mites?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
My vet still gave her some medication for ear mites just incase and checked an sample under the microsope. All she did was place the medication for ear mites on the back of chelsey's neck
I also had to use drops in chelsey ears twice a day for three weeks. It was suppost to be for two , but it took longer to clear up. But she is all good now. she has not had an other ear infection since. I know you really concern casue I was really scared but your puppy will be fine once treated... I'ts best to check for ear mites as well just in case. I think they said for earmite it is more a brown crusty. chelsey was dark brown and moist smelly.

It can get serious if puppy is not treated . So please contact your vet very soon.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I posted a similar topic not too long ago.Miko was shaking his head and scratching at his ear. Although there was no odor, there was a dark discharge. I took him to a vet the day after this first started to happen and it turned out he had an ear infection. We attempted to treat with ear drops, but it was too difficult and not working, we the vet prescribed antibiotic to take orally. Our vet took a sample from his ear (I don't know how, this was done in another room!) and determined it was due to bacteria. Definitely go to the vet!!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
My vet still gave her some medication for ear mites just incase and checked an sample under the microsope. All she did was place the medication for ear mites on the back of chelsey's neck
I also had to use drops in chelsey ears twice a day for three weeks. It was suppost to be for two , but it took longer to clear up. But she is all good now. she has not had an other ear infection since.

I would bet that what your vet put on the back of your pup was Revolution. In addition to treatment for heart worms, it is also a treatment for fleas, ticks, and ear mites.
Another treatment is two drops of Frontline spray in each ear once a week for three weeks. If you suspect ear mites, Odomax should also be used in the ears, and possibly an oral antibiotic. My vet lets me get what I want at animal supply, and I do my own treatment. I use Clavamox for the antibiotic. I do so much rescue work with everyone else's rejects that things like this are common for me.
What I have to be careful with is that my rescues don't infect my house dogs. I use the Revolution monthly on my dogs.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Sounds like a yeast infection. Go to the vet asap. Don't pluck anymore. It'll only irritate Q-tip more. When the doctors give you medicine drops for the ears you can't bath him while he's using the drops. I'm almost sure that's right! But ask the Vet anyway.
No cleaning his ears while using medicated eardrops FOR SURE

Poor baby! Kisses for Qtip!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
My vet still gave her some medication for ear mites just incase and checked an sample  under the microsope.  All she did was place  the medication for ear mites  on the back of chelsey's neck
I also had to use drops in chelsey ears twice a day for three weeks.  It was suppost to be for two , but it took longer to clear up.  But she is all good now.  she has not had an other ear infection since.   

I would bet that what your vet put on the back of your pup was Revolution.  In addition to treatment for heart worms, it is also a treatment for fleas, ticks, and ear mites. 
Another treatment is two drops of Frontline spray in each ear once a week for three weeks.  If you suspect ear mites, Odomax should also be used in the ears, and possibly an oral antibiotic.  My vet lets me get what I want at animal supply, and I do my own treatment.  I use Clavamox for the antibiotic.  I do so much rescue work with everyone else's rejects that things like this are common for me.
What I have to be careful with is that my rescues don't infect my house dogs.  I use the Revolution monthly on my dogs.[/B]

Yes you are correct that was what she put on her Revolution and she also gave me one for chester just incase.
With the drops we were giveing, we were instructed by the vet to clean her ears each time before we put the drops in. Her ears were really bad, if we did not clean the drop would never reach were they were suppost to go. But follow the dirctions from your vet . They will tell and should show you what to do. Ensure you ask all you questions while you are there or right them down on paper so you don't forget.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts