Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cuddles has had continuous problems with her ears for the last 6 months. The vet has prescribed numerous times transderm/contincon(?). Her ear canals have been so swollen that even the vet can't see down them. She had a deep flushing but that didn't help. She also has developed these bumps on her body. Sometimes they get like a hot spot. I treat them with dermagen. I feel helpless and my baby is not happy. Has anybody done food diet tests? :excl:

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
It does sound like Cuddles may have allergies. My Lady does. Hers are more inhaled allergies (which are apparently more common than food allergies), although she does have food allergies, too. She gets an antihistamine daily. Have you tried Benadryl?

I've never had allergy testing done on Lady, but I think some here have.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Originally posted by cuddlesmom@Oct 18 2005, 09:11 PM
Cuddles has had continuous problems with her ears for the last 6 months. The vet has prescribed numerous times transderm/contincon(?). Her ear canals have been so swollen that even the vet can't see down them. She had a deep flushing but that didn't help. She also has developed these bumps on her body. Sometimes they get like a hot spot. I treat them with dermagen. I feel helpless and my baby is not happy. Has anybody done food diet tests? :excl:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111113
[/QUOTE]

Sassy has never had cronic ear problems, in fact, she just had her very first ear yeast infection. We first tried Treasaderm with no luck, and then switched to Mometamax and it cured it. (We also used an ear flush, Malaseb.)

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
sounds like your vet needs to add a steroid to help open the ear canal. the meds are useless if they cant get down to the problem. chronic ear infections are most commonly related to food allergies, so it wouldnt hurt to go on a food trial. you have to be strict with it or it wont work. only feed that diet and nothing else. if u try duck and potato, venison and potato, or rabbit and potato then u can give potato as treats but they cant be cooked with n e thing. i reccomend the IVD diets, but hills also has z/d which ur vet will probably steer u to first. it works just fine but i know that dogs like the flavor of the ivd diets better...as long as they r not allregic to the ingredients in them. also when u go on a food trial u must make sure they r not on any type of heartworm preventative that is flavored or edible. this means u have to find heartgaurd in the pill form(my preference) or revolution (which i dont care for due to the poor flea control and internal parasite control). also a food trial takes up to 6 months to see the full effect. some people see results quickly, but some u have to be patient with. while u r going through the food trial your vet can prescribe prednisone to get u through the real itchy times. if your vet doesnt seem to be real into derm and food trial stuff u can always look for a dermatologist near u. good luck! if u have any more questions feel free to ask away!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Has the ear discharge been cultured? If you're dealing with something like pseudomonas, it will be hard to get rid of and you'll need to bring out some big guns and treat for a long period of time.

I agree about looking for underlying problems like allergies. See a dermatologist is a great idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Oct 19 2005, 05:44 PM
sounds like your vet needs to add a steroid to help open the ear canal.  the meds are useless if they cant get down to the problem.  chronic ear infections are most commonly related to food allergies, so it wouldnt hurt to go on a food trial.  you have to be strict with it or it wont work.  only feed that diet and nothing else.  if u try duck and potato, venison and potato, or rabbit and potato then u can give potato as treats but they cant be cooked with n e thing.  i reccomend the IVD diets, but hills also has z/d which ur vet will probably steer u to first. it works just fine but i know that dogs like the flavor of the ivd diets better...as long as they r not allregic to the ingredients in them.  also when u go on a food trial u must make sure they r not on any type of heartworm preventative that is flavored or edible.  this means u have to find heartgaurd in the pill form(my preference) or revolution (which i dont care for due to the poor flea control and internal parasite control).  also a food trial takes up to 6 months to see the full effect.  some people see results quickly, but some u have to be patient with.  while u r going through the food trial your vet can prescribe prednisone to get u through the real itchy times.  if your vet doesnt seem to be real into derm and food trial stuff u can always look for a dermatologist near u.  good luck!  if u have any more questions feel free to ask away!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111446
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Oct 19 2005, 05:44 PM
sounds like your vet needs to add a steroid to help open the ear canal.  the meds are useless if they cant get down to the problem.  chronic ear infections are most commonly related to food allergies, so it wouldnt hurt to go on a food trial.  you have to be strict with it or it wont work.  only feed that diet and nothing else.  if u try duck and potato, venison and potato, or rabbit and potato then u can give potato as treats but they cant be cooked with n e thing.  i reccomend the IVD diets, but hills also has z/d which ur vet will probably steer u to first. it works just fine but i know that dogs like the flavor of the ivd diets better...as long as they r not allregic to the ingredients in them.  also when u go on a food trial u must make sure they r not on any type of heartworm preventative that is flavored or edible.  this means u have to find heartgaurd in the pill form(my preference) or revolution (which i dont care for due to the poor flea control and internal parasite control).  also a food trial takes up to 6 months to see the full effect.  some people see results quickly, but some u have to be patient with.  while u r going through the food trial your vet can prescribe prednisone to get u through the real itchy times.  if your vet doesnt seem to be real into derm and food trial stuff u can always look for a dermatologist near u.  good luck!  if u have any more questions feel free to ask away!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111446
[/QUOTE]
:smilie_daumenpos:Thanks for the advice. I'll try it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.