Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
sounds like your vet needs to add a steroid to help open the ear canal. the meds are useless if they cant get down to the problem. chronic ear infections are most commonly related to food allergies, so it wouldnt hurt to go on a food trial. you have to be strict with it or it wont work. only feed that diet and nothing else. if u try duck and potato, venison and potato, or rabbit and potato then u can give potato as treats but they cant be cooked with n e thing. i reccomend the IVD diets, but hills also has z/d which ur vet will probably steer u to first. it works just fine but i know that dogs like the flavor of the ivd diets better...as long as they r not allregic to the ingredients in them. also when u go on a food trial u must make sure they r not on any type of heartworm preventative that is flavored or edible. this means u have to find heartgaurd in the pill form(my preference) or revolution (which i dont care for due to the poor flea control and internal parasite control). also a food trial takes up to 6 months to see the full effect. some people see results quickly, but some u have to be patient with. while u r going through the food trial your vet can prescribe prednisone to get u through the real itchy times. if your vet doesnt seem to be real into derm and food trial stuff u can always look for a dermatologist near u. good luck! if u have any more questions feel free to ask away!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts