Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A yucky topic, but one that you all may have some experience with. :wacko:

When Tiki was a puppy he would often eat his "droppings" if I didn't get to him quickly enough. With constant reminders, he eventually stopped.

Just recently he has been going after "cat stuff" in the grass while we are taking his walks. He will also turn quickly and try to eat his own as soon as he is done. I tell him "no" firmly and pull him away so I can clean it up.

Any ideas on this gross topic?

Thanks!
Tiki's Mom

· Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well..... I did some research since my post and found that the problem is called "COPROPHAGIA". Following are 3 sites with articles I found helpful though some of the information is repeated. If you do a google search you will find lots of stuff on this topic.

Coprophagia 1

Coprophagia 2

Coprophagia 3

Tiki hasn't done this for a while. I just started watching him very carefully when he would go for his own or some that was left behind by another small dong or cat. I would give his leash a tug and say "No - Icky!" He seems to have caught on; all I have to do now is say icky and he leaves it alone. I chose this word because I don't realy use it for anything else

Judi

· Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure if one of those links listed it, but my sister feeds her dog green beans (from a can), just a few with each meal. Some people say pineapple works also. This way you don't have to spray and leave it, but Susie may fine that droppings with one of these ingredients don't taste good.

Thats if you can get her to eat green beans or pineapple <_<

Lots of luck to you and Susie!

Judi

· Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I will try putting the accent on my cats food. I have two that I feed in my backyard, Tiki loves to go back there (YUCK!). I will pick some up this weekend and see if they will eat it and then what the results are. I will keep you all posted.

Judi

· Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Grooming 1 or 2 more I could handle; I don't know about a dozen though

My husband wanted a dachshund when we first decided it was time for a puppy (last year). My kids wanted anything they could get. :D

Years ago we had a wonderful boarder collie; she got sick and had to be put down. I knew the commitment and work involved in having a dog. I don't believe a dog should be left outside or in the house alone all day. I feel they are a members of the family (I am sure most of you feel the same way), not just a "dog". Of course being the mom I would be the one to train and take care of this new addition so I agreed it was time, but I was going to get a maltese; I had wanted one since I was a teenager (a long, long, time ago
)

Once we saw Tiki we all fell in love. Now that we have had him for a year I don't think we would own another breed. Whenever we are around other breeds we enjoy their company, but not the odor and shedding that go with them. When my kids move out I know we will be getting more maltese puppies...... how many? Who knows, maybe a heard!

Judi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.