Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
polaris is eating his own poop. why is this happening and how do i go about it? he is now 4 months and a half old.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Casper does this sometimes too. I heard that it was because their food was not fully digested. Just take his attention away from the poop and give him a toy or something to play with instead.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
yeah, make sure you pick it up right away. and if you cant, then there's a powder that you spinkle in his food so that when he poos---it tastes really really bad and bitter. go to your petstore and ask. im pretty sure they sell stuff like that there.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Tiki also goes for his own poop (along with any cat goodies he may find when we are out for a walk
). I make sure I pick it up as soon as he goes, and often distract him from it by giving him a treat. I also give him a stern "no" . He has gotten much better, when I say no he will usually turn away and move on.

I have also heard that they won't eat their own droppings if you feed them green beans or pineapple
: Only tried those a few times, but didn't do it long enough to see if it worked.

Some reading that may be of interest:
Why dogs eat poop - Family Fun Magazine

Coprophagia - Vet Info.com

Coprophagia - Pethealthcare.net

Judi

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Tuffy just started doing this in the last two days. I'm wondering if he's doing it because instead of letting him graze on his food all day I started feeding him at set times (in the last two days) per his dog trainer's advice.. I gave him a little squirt from the water bottle when I caught him so hopefully that will help.. otherwise I'm going back to letting him graze. Dogs are so weird sometimes!

·
Registered
323 Posts
:wacko: I have also heard if you sprinkle some meat tenderizer on their food that it will deter them from eating it as it makes it taste bad and smell undesirable. A friend of mine had her vet tell her this and it seemed to work well. Worth a try. She had to do it for a couple weeks and then again occasionally if they started eating it again.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I leave maxi his food and he eats when he is hungry i always leave a bowl of dry iams so that he always has food. When i leave in the morning sometimes he eats and sometimes he doesnt if he is in his non eating mood i give him nutrical at night he usually eats half a bowl... I know we are supposed to train them properly and i probably do everything outside of the guidelines of training but Maxi is a very well behaved good furbaby and i just don't ever want him to be hungry and have no food available for him.......

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
i read on the MO board :ph34r: shhhh
but it was a good suggestion...that sweet potatoes and pineapple are supposed to work...I am assuming baby food would work, if they will eat it.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
It's weird, but after two days of catching Tuffy snacking on his poop I decided to go back to just leaving a dish of his kibble out all day for him to graze on.. and now he's not eating his poop anymore! I don't know why that has made a difference, but I'm glad it has! :lol:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
<_< Well, Tuffy is back to eating poop again. :wacko: I'll let you all know if anything works to get him to quit.. I'm starting with some baby food papaya and pineapple to see if that will help. Wish me luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts