Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bella has been eating her poop for quite a while now. She's only 5 months old and the vet doesn't seem to be worried about it. He says that she'll grow out of it and that it's just a puppy thing.

I heard in another forum that if you add pineapple to their food, it really helps because it makes it taste bitter. Has anyone heard of this? and is it ok to feed our babies pineapples?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I've battled the poop eating habit with Tuffy for a while now and let me tell you.. I've tried it all. I've given him sweet potatoes, pineapple, meat tenderizer, papaya and a chewable pill called Deter. None have any bad side effects but they haven't worked for him either. With the pineapple I gave him some pineapple baby food and some freeze dried pineapple pieces.. he loves them but it never stopped him from eating poop. I had a little more luck with the Deter but I didn't give it to him long enough to really test it out. I've also heard that giving them a little bit of adult food mixed with their puppy food can help to keep them from eating poop, but I've not tried that one. But all that said, I've never seen anything that said pineapple was harmful and Tuffy never had a negative reaction to it. I hope you have better luck with it than I did!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
ive gave jongee some pineapple too to see if it'll make her stop eating her poop

shes turning 11 months old in 3 days, but she threw up after eating it (i only gave her a little)

so im not gonna try that anymore

poop eating battle is still going on for me

im wishing as my last hope that once i feed her adult food it'll make her stop..

·
Registered
942 Posts
I tried it with my Rottie, and it works...mixed with sweet potato, unsweetened in a can. She stopped eating her poop. I don't have any problems with Chanel eating hers...but I take her outside to poop and she kicks and runs away when she is done doing her business. I'd say try it...it worked for me, but you have to mix the CRUSHED pineapple with the unsweetened sweet potato...or was it yams, no, sweet potato.

Thank goodness!

~Elegant

·
Registered
408 Posts
Vinny is a voracious poop eater..... we have tried many things, right now we are using ForBid, we got it from our vet. For 4 days mix 1/4 of the package in his food, twice a day. This stuff is awsome. Today is the last day and for the last couple of days we haven't had to sneak and watch him poop then clean it quick.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
you can also get something to scare the dog. so then if he tries eating his poo, you have 5 seconds to scare him. try anything. you can do a hard correction(which we did to gruffi and also trying to get his attention to something else) and it worked. we bought "deter" and we didnt even have to use it.
but you have to keep an eye on him constantly.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it's working but the new thing now is that she poops every where in the house. She was so good about going on the puppy pads and she still is when it comes to peeing but she has to poop, she'll go anywhere. When I'm home, I catch her and say no very loud and scare her so she runs and doesn't have time to eat her poop. When I'm at work, I don't know because I haven't seen any poop in the kitchen but maybe she's just going when I take her out of the kitchen.

I just don't know anymore

She does love the pineapples...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's "normal" for puppies to eat their poop. You did nothing wrong...trust me because I've been dealing with this for a while now. Start with the pineapple thing...it has helped a bit but don't be surprised if she's still doing it. They are suppose to grow out of it so I can't wait for Bella to STOP IT. It's so gross.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts