Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tink seemed to enjoy a snack of her fresh "presents" today. I shoved some toothpaste around her teeth after I caught her. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
My poodle does it. I don't know why, it's gross. I've tried some pills I found at Petsmart that was supposed to make it distasteful to the dog, didn't work. He still does it on occasion. No more kisses to or from him!

Hope someone has a suggestion.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The pills never worked for Queso either. But she seems to enjoy watching us pick up her poo so now most of the time she will run to find us and tell us to clean up her mess- pronto!:police:

Occasionally I've caught her sneaking a poo snack at night if we are in bed. :smilie_tischkante:

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
What kind of food are you feeding and is the quantity enough? My rescue (he's on the right in my siggy pic--breed unknown) does this lately b/c we put him on a diet which is high fiber/low calorie so it's SUPPOSED to be filling enough but I don't think it is. He still seems hungry. No advice--I just give him a small low cal snack (like veggies and a few kibbles) since I know in his case it's hunger.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Some of the fluffs just do this. It is disgusting. Try either of these -- add a dash of meat tenderizer to her food each meal -- or add pinneapple to her meals. Both are suppose to discourage poop eating. Yuck!!!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Ollie just eats deer poop and there is no going around the yard to find it all. We just try to watch him if he goes out not on a leash. I've heard the meat tenderizer, but that didn't work on a daschund I had years ago.

·
Registered
409 Posts
My girl's do this too...every chance they get...I've tried everything that's been suggested on here...so i got some enzymatic (sp?) toothpaste for dogs from my vet..and try to use it dilligently...especially when I catch them with a poopie treat.

Hugs, Blanche

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Maggie does this too! My vet also suggested sprinkling just a "Tiny bit" of Adolph's meat tenderizer on her food. It works when you use it. He said I shouldn't have to use it too many times and I didn't. Problem is she has started to "snack" on her poop again.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
My malt has never eaten her poop but I thought I would share what I've heard in the past.
If you are not feeding a good quality food and are using a cheaper brand they cannot digest as well so there are bits of undigested food in the poop. and that is very appitizing to the dog. Try switching to a higher end, good food without by-products and they will be able to digest it much better.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
My malt has never eaten her poop but I thought I would share what I've heard in the past.
If you are not feeding a good quality food and are using a cheaper brand they cannot digest as well so there are bits of undigested food in the poop. and that is very appitizing to the dog. Try switching to a higher end, good food without by-products and they will be able to digest it much better.
I thought that as well, but I am feeding Blue Buffalo and it is very good food. Must be something else in some cases. Who knows? I have repeatedly asked Maggie and she isn't talking...

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
If you think about it, what could taste worse than poo? Cosy did it when she was younger. I tried every deterent and nothing worked when she wanted that snack. She has outgrown it, for the most part.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I thought that as well, but I am feeding Blue Buffalo and it is very good food. Must be something else in some cases. Who knows? I have repeatedly asked Maggie and she isn't talking...
:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:C'mon Maggie speak up !
Yeah, I've heard Blue buffalo is a good food but I remember my malt vomiiting right after she ate it. I guess it does not do well with some dogs.
I prefer grain-free and Weruva canned.
I remember my malts teacher at "doggie school" discussing with others that if they switch to a better food than their dog will not be tempted with eating their own poop.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She'll be switched to basic chicken/rice/babyfood if I catch it again. I wonder if it's something she picked up at the Kennel, either way she's going to have to learn to tolerate a toothbrush if she's going to do this.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
YUCK:yucky:...I have never seen Rocky do that one and boy oh boy is he lucky he doesn't. He would not be allowed in my bed or on the sofa or near my face. He is pretty clean with himself...he jumps away after he poos outside so he doesn't get near it. :HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Mimie

Mimie did this when she was younger and our groomer sold me a gel that I would put in her food. This nipped it at the B---. Thank God.

I changed foods a few times and nothing helped until I used this gel! another trick is to p/u poop as soon as it is out. We do as our dogs use aour screened and tiled terrace for their business. For the most part they pee on the potty patch I have outside!

This is so DISGUSTING! :w00t:

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I have one that is a poop eater. London has always done it if she has a poo accident inside. Mine go potty outside, and she doesn't try and eat it out there, only inside, as if she's trying to hide the evidence. lol

It is gross, and if she wasn't a poop eater I would have pad trained both of mine for convenience.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Mine were poop eaters when they were younger and the forbid powder the vet suggested didn't work so i added pineapple to their food. Either the pineapple worked or they out grew it, not sure which.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
LMAO ~ Joplin, and Franny, have never attempted to eat their poop.
My Samantha loved her poop. Bless her heart.

As of today, Raul likes all poop, Johnny likes his poop, Tinks likes her poop,
and I am the pooper-scooper.

I just try to pick it up as quickly as possible.

I honestly believe dogs are not eating it for any other reason, than that particular dog, thinks it's YUMMY.

My vet's dog can't stay away from horse crap. Just thinks it's yummy.

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
LMAO ~ Joplin, and Franny, have never attempted to eat their poop.
My Samantha loved her poop. Bless her heart.

As of today, Raul likes all poop, Johnny likes his poop, Tinks likes her poop,
and I am the pooper-scooper.

I just try to pick it up as quickly as possible.

I honestly believe dogs are not eating it for any other reason, than that particular dog, thinks it's YUMMY.

My vet's dog can't stay away from horse crap. Just thinks it's yummy.
Thankfully Tyler's never shown any interest in his poo other than for us to get it off his tush as quick as we can if he has a hitchhiker.
I can't imagine going for horse crap. UGHHHHH! :w00t: I would be sewing my dogs mouth closed. :HistericalSmiley: Not really but who wants a dog with horse dung breath??

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
Amber and Emily like "naughty nuggets" too,not always right away,but if they're frozen in the snow,so we scoopy the poopy as soon as we can. Amber is the worst,she goes on "poo patrol" for them.... I tell her "no poo patrol" she stops looks at me and comes right in,she knows what mommy is talking about.....

She must think they're truffles...

I tell them they like their dog food so much ...they eat it twice!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts