Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we have noticed for the past three days when we let our malt out to play and or go to the bathroom outside that he is looking for and finding his feces and chewing on it. we are very surprised that he is doing this.

we recently switched from precise plus for puppies to acana pacifica. we feed him 2-3 times a day and use zephyrhills spring water.

we take him for a walk everynight for about 20-30 minutes, most of the time he just runs the whole time so im sure he is getting good exercise for being so small.

we play with him in doors typically fetch or tug of war. we give him a rawhide bone to chew which he loves.

we are in need of some of advice as to why he is doing this and steps to correct it now.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
We encountered this problem with the Westie foster we have now. She was running for some time before AC caught her and I am sure she developed that habit from lack of food.
I kept her on a leash to go "potty" and the minute she was done she would turn around to look and maybe eat it. I praised her and kept her head away from her poo and said "leave it" and then walked away and gave a treat.
After a week of this we no longer have that problem....she runs away from her poo and waits for her "good girl treat".
As far as a puppy, maybe you could try this training and see how it works.

I would say never ever give rawhides. They are processed in formaldehyde and are responsible for UTI's. Try Nylabones or kongs.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Coprophagia ( poop eatting) is quite common in puppies. I believe its based in an instinct that dogs remove the excrement to keep pradators away ( from what I read) My original Twinkle 1 did this and I just removed the poop.

I found that if you watch for them to go and remove the poop with a poop bag they will outgrow it quicker. I always remove poop from wee wee pads ( why invite them devouring the tasty morsels?)

The do make a pill that makes poop taste bad ( its pepper based)I have heard that pineapple works too, some enzyme in it makes the poop smell bad or tsate to them. I have also heard of sprinkling with hot sauce too

If you are feeding premium food I would just police defecation, and remove the poop promptly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
what brand is a good source of treats to give my malt to praise him? of all the things he does, this one we want to stop pronto!!! :)

sometimes he will eat all his food and other days he doesnt want to eat much and that seemed to happen when we switched from precise plus to acana. so im not sure if all of this is stemming from the dry kibble switch. we do use nutrical sometimes when he is not eating as well.

so every rawhide bone regardless of what the brand/manufacturer says its made with formaldehyde? we have kongs but the problem with those is he wont play with them. if we stuff them with food and peanut butter he sometimes will eat the food but it only lasts for about 5-10 minutes and then he is done playing with it again and we are afraid he is bored. with the rawhide bones he will calm down and eat those babies like crazy. so we thought hurray we found something he enjoys and will provide another form of mental stimulation. is there any rawhide bones that are acceptable?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts