Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

About a week ago I posted a funny story about Belle acting up during meal times...

It’s not funny anymore I’m frustrated and tired of her refusing her meal every 3rd or 4th day...

I bought air dried crunchy 100% pure salmon (which I break into pieces and put over her meal), I add 10 grams of Acana puppy and small breed kibble and about 25-30 grams of homemade chicken with rice (sometimes I add carrots and beans or make variations of the same.)

I try to feed her twice a day (when she doesn’t refuse her food) and between meals I give her a little treat when I eat.

I don’t know why about a little over a month ago she started acting up. She’s now 7 months old, does anybody here have any advice? I’ve tried various tactics that I read up on google and they’ve all backfired on me...

The vet told me that her weight is fine and she is perfectly healthy.

On a personal note 2 years ago I lost my mother to cancer 6 months later my 19 year old spaniel passed away. Both of them had become very difficult eaters so every time Belle refuses to eat it hits a very sore spot for me and makes me really sad. I honestly don’t know what I’m doing wrong...

·
Premium Member
17,350 Posts
Wow, that sounds like a huge amount of food! She is a maltese, right? Tiny tummies can only hold so much! My vet says about the size of a small avocado half! It also sounds very, very rich! Also, has she had the Bile Assay test generally given at 16 wks? It is a paired test---ask your vet about it. Maltese often have minor liver issues which only show in this particular test that can affect eating.
I would try a much smaller amount 2 x day---leave it for 15 minutes. If she doesn't eat take it up & don't give her any more food until her next meal. My guess is that she is just not hungry. Make sure she always has water available. Skip treats for now.
I am sorry to hear of the loss of your Mom & can see how that would affect your fears. My Lisi has cancer & it was extremely difficult to diagnose. For now, just assume she is ok, & try to enjoy her little 7 month antics. Let us know how she fares.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

• Wow, that sounds like a huge amount of food! She is a maltese, right? Tiny tummies can only hold so much! My vet says about the size of a small avocado half! It also sounds very, very rich! Also, has she had the Bile Assay test generally given at 16 wks? It is a paired test---ask your vet about it. Maltese often have minor liver issues which only show in this particular test that can affect eating.
    I would try a much smaller amount 2 x day---leave it for 15 minutes. If she doesn't eat take it up & don't give her any more food until her next meal. My guess is that she is just not hungry. Make sure she always has water available. Skip treats for now.
    I am sorry to hear of the loss of your Mom & can see how that would affect your fears. My Lisi has cancer & it was extremely difficult to diagnose. For now, just assume she is ok, & try to enjoy her little 7 month antics. Let us know how she fares.
    I will ask my vet to run the test it wasn’t done, she only took a stool sample.
  • Does it sound like a lot of food? I’ll try visualizing half an avocado when I give her dinner.
  • I’m so sorry to hear about Lisi’s cancer I can’t imagine what you must be going through, sending you and Lisi lots of love and strength.

·
Premium Member
17,350 Posts
It is not a test that is "normally" run---it is an add on, but very important w/maltese since they often have liver issues & this is the least invasive way to keep an eye out. This would give you a good baseline in the event she has issues later in life. It is not a test you need to keep repeating.

Reactions: Buddy2000

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Excellent advice from Sandi. 👍

The only thing I might add/sugest - Your above post doesn't say how much your Maltese weighs. Weight/size can make a difference in the amount of food your fluff should get. Abella is a larger Maltese and weighs 6 1/2 pounds. She gets a scant 1/4 cup of food twice a day. For treats I give her very tiny pieces of apple or carrot.

I am so sorry for your loss of your mother to cancer and the loss of your spaniel. I can completely understand the large void/emptiness this has left in your heart. In February I lost my 45 year old nephew to brain cancer then 1 month later my BIL to prostrate cancer. Time has helped us heal although we still have hard days especially holidays like Mothers Day. I'm happy you now have your precious Belle. I truly believe Maltese have special healing powers. Enjoy your fluff and try and not stress out. I am looking forward to reading updates from you.
🐶🐾🌺

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent advice from Sandi. 👍

The only thing I might add/sugest - Your above post doesn't say how much your Maltese weighs. Weight/size can make a difference in the amount of food your fluff should get. Abella is a larger Maltese and weighs 6 1/2 pounds. She gets a scant 1/4 cup of food twice a day. For treats I give her very tiny pieces of apple or carrot.

I am so sorry for your loss of your mother to cancer and the loss of your spaniel. I can completely understand the large void/emptiness this has left in your heart. In February I lost my 45 year old nephew to brain cancer then 1 month later my BIL to prostrate cancer. Time has helped us heal although we still have hard days especially holidays like Mothers Day. I'm happy you now have your precious Belle. I truly believe Maltese have special healing powers. Enjoy your fluff and try and not stress out. I am looking forward to reading updates from you.
🐶🐾🌺
Thank you for your kind words. I am sorry for your loss.

I am happy to update everyone on an improvement in Belle’s eating habit. Apparently I was giving her too much food. She weighs just a little over 5 pounds, I suppose I’m still getting used to taking care of a little baby.

You are so right about Maltese having healing powers. Ever since she’s come into my home she’s filled my life with love. Who knew that such a little fur ball could have so much love to give!🥰

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Very happy to read your update on Belle and hear she is doing well. Yes, Our little fluffs are truly amazing and anyone that is fortunate enough to have one is truly blessed! Please don't hesitate to ask any questions here on SM - We are here for you. We also love pictures.....If you can please post one of your precious Belle.
🐶 🐾🌻

1 - 7 of 7 Posts