Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys. I'm going to be selling a bunch of clothes on ebay for the first time. I've registered with the free paypal (the personal one). How do you word that I only take that type of payment? Any help would be appreciated!

For shipping is it easier to use the online ebay shipping calculator when you are selling a lot of things? I've already figured out how much most of the items weigh.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Sep 10 2005, 08:46 PM
Hi, guys.  I'm going to be selling a bunch of clothes on ebay for the first time.  I've registered with the free paypal (the personal one).  How do you word that I only take that type of payment?  Any help would be appreciated!

For shipping is it easier to use the online ebay shipping calculator when you are selling a lot of things?  I've already figured out how much most of the items weigh.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98365
[/QUOTE]

I have the next level up from "Personal"... can't remember what it is called but I put in my listing that I take PayPal only and then in the PayPal info they ask for your address but I put a message in instead saying I only take PayPal. I wish I could remember all this exactly, but I think there is someplace on there where you indicate the payment types you will take. Was there anything asked like this when you signed up to take PayPal?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ok- I'm an ebay freak, so maybe I can be of some help! I do have experience in buying and selling.

In your listings, be sure to mention that you take paypal as payment only. It would be to your benefit though to accept money order because not everyone has a paypal account. This way everyone will have a payment method available to them. I know that with credit card transactions through paypal there is a fee to the buyer, I don't know about the seller, I've never accepted a credit card payment.

I personally don't like the postage calculator unless you have purchased a scale that will determine the weight and the cost of the shipping using various shipping methods.... next day, air, parcel post, etc. Insurance is available for the buyer. Just be sure to get the accurate fee or you will find yourself paying for insurance.

You can visit www.usps.com and you can sign up to receive FREE the flat rate shipping boxes. I LOVE THESE! They come "broke down" and are very convenient, as you can use them to store your item while waiting for it to be purchased. The USPS will ship these to you at no charge for the boxes nor shipping, and regardless of the weight, you can ship in these boxes for the flat rate. Just be sure though that the boxes does not bulge at all because they will not accept it. Also, and I'm sure you know this, you will want to be sure to charge the buyer for shipping. Some people try to profit from shipping, and I think this is very wrong and not moral. Please do not do this.

If you have an ebay store, please be sure to tell me about it. Give me your seller ID. I buy alot from personal sellers, but try to stick with ebay store or power sellers. Good luck and I hope you are successful!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Sep 10 2005, 08:49 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Sep 10 2005, 08:46 PM
Hi, guys.  I'm going to be selling a bunch of clothes on ebay for the first time.  I've registered with the free paypal (the personal one).  How do you word that I only take that type of payment?  Any help would be appreciated!

For shipping is it easier to use the online ebay shipping calculator when you are selling a lot of things?  I've already figured out how much most of the items weigh.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98365
I have the next level up from "Personal"... can't remember what it is called but I put in my listing that I take PayPal only and then in the PayPal info they ask for your address but I put a message in instead saying I only take PayPal. I wish I could remember all this exactly, but I think there is someplace on there where you indicate the payment types you will take. Was there anything asked like this when you signed up to take PayPal?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98368
[/B][/QUOTE]

Transaction type.........Personal Account.............Premier/Business Account

Open an Account.........Free............................... Free

Send Money ...............Free ...............................free

Withdraw Funds ..........Free for bank accounts........Free for bank accounts
..................................in the US--Fees for other.....in the US--Fees for other
..................................banks ...............................banks

Add Funds ..................Free .................................Free

Receive Funds............ Free...................................1.9% to 2.9% + $0.30 USD *

Multiple Currency.........Exchange rate includes........Exchange rate includes a
Transactions 2.5% fee 2.5% fee

*These fees apply to US only. For other fees in other countries, please visit the website at www.paypal.com

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
i dunno if this has been said.. but i've been selling lots of stuff on ebay lately and i have paypal and you should upgrade to the next level on paypal. cuz with the basic account you can't accept credit card payments from buyers, only payments from their balance on their paypal account i think? something like that. but the next one up you can.. which is beneficial cuz then you can get payment from wayy more people.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm using the yellow envelopes to ship the clothes I'm mailing. Is it ok if these "bulge"? All of the stuff I'm selling (except for a few things) are clothes. Mostly shirts, pants, and sweaters.

I also have a kitchen scale and have weighed all of the clothes in the envelopes. I can take some of them to work to find out what the cost to ship via USPS would be but don't you need a zip code to figer out the cost? That is what confuses me.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by puppylucy@Sep 10 2005, 10:14 PM
i dunno if this has been said.. but i've been selling lots of stuff on ebay lately and i have paypal and you should upgrade to the next level on paypal. cuz with the basic account you can't accept credit card payments from buyers, only payments from their balance on their paypal account i think? something like that. but the next one up you can.. which is beneficial cuz then you can get payment from wayy more people.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98400
[/QUOTE]
with the personal leavel you can transfer money from your checking account (so like a debit card) or from a savings account.

·
Registered
751 Posts
My husband is a power user on Ebay. He finds the post office cheaper than UPS. He did buy postal scales to get a more accurate weight on his items. Larry only sells and buys movie transfer equiptment which is pretty large.

He takes PayPal but is very careful about other methods of payment.

Insurance for his items is a must.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Sep 10 2005, 11:05 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-puppylucy
@Sep 10 2005, 10:14 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98400
with the personal leavel you can transfer money from your checking account (so like a debit card) or from a savings account.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98413
[/B][/QUOTE]

yeah.. but it seems like that's too much work for alot of people cuz the first 5 people who bought things from me tried to pay w/ credit cards, so i upgraded.

btw, for shipping.. try the flat rate envelopes. they're white with this usps symbol on the front. you can fit basically anything in them and they're like 3.85 to anywhere in the us and 8.00 international.. something like that. just an idea

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I recommend using the one that allows credit/debit cards too. Otherwise people have to transfer the money INTO their paypal account before paying...and that is too much trouble to me. I won't purchase from anyone who says they don't take debit/credit cards through paypal. If you are SELLING, and the purchaser used the debit/credit option...you will get an extra fee through paypal. Buyer won't, but the seller will. I have seen this handled different ways. When I sell, I just eat the fee...and try to think about that when I set my opening bid price. I have done business with other sellers who have calculated the debit/credit percentage fee and added it to the shipping total in the end. If you do that, you have to make sure you list that in your payment information on your item page. In this case, if they don't want to pay the debit/credit fee, the buyer can do the transfer from their checking into their paypal before they buy, and NOT have to pay the extra fee. Does all that make sense?

I am getting ready to sell my daughter's Halloween costume on there this week.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Sep 11 2005, 08:10 AM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98437
[/QUOTE]

It doesnt happen to be Flash (from Justice Legue); Dash or ninga turtle by chance? LOL

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Sep 11 2005, 12:03 AM
I can take some of them to work to find out what the cost to ship via USPS would be but don't you need a zip code to figer out the cost?  That is what confuses me.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98412
[/QUOTE]

when you do the actual ad inside ebay it gove you the option to either sell at a fixed shipping cost or add the USPS calculator to your ad, that way you enter the weight for the item only and then when someone views your ad "they" enter their zip code and it calculates the "estimated" cost automatically, then when the item is sold you click a button to send them the bill and have the opportunity to change it to an "actual" shipping cost if it is different, however, to avoid all that i would

a) enter a weight 1-2# above actual weight to cover any difference (some a-holes may leave negative feedback though if it is different than actual)

b ) if i remember correctly you also have the option to add in a "handling" fee so that it automatically adds that into the shipping calculator when someone enters their zip, add in like 2.00 to cover any difference (this is what i would do )

I would also recommend buying a digital scale off ebay so you have acurate weights to enter, i got one off ebay for like 25.00 for a 36# scale from THIS GUY , comes in very handy, I used to guess at weights or use a bathroom scale and i got burned, alot

hope this helps

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I have a question I also have herble product that I need to sell on line. I don't know anything about ebay either or how it works. Do you guys find this very helpfull for your business. Also I looked in to shipping with fedx one day and the shipping cost more then my product. How do you make anymoney this way. I sell my some of my oils for 8:00 the shipping was for 10.00 this is all canadian of course.

Anyway when the customer pays for the shipping how does it work for you when you box up the product and send it out. Do you they provide you with a sticket were it states the shipping is payed and does fedx or UPS come and pick up the product from you or do you go to the Post office and ship it out. Sorry if I have strange questions.
I have been delaying because I don't understand how this all works and I don't want to loose money.

Thanks... and thanks Lexi's mom for posting this topic.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Chelsey@Sep 11 2005, 11:59 AM
I have a question I also have herble product that I need to sell on line.  I don't know anything about ebay either or how it works.  Do you guys find this very helpfull for your business.  Also I looked in to shipping with fedx one day and the shipping cost more then my product.  How do you make anymoney this way.  I sell my some of my oils for 8:00 the shipping was for 10.00 this is all canadian of course. 

Anyway when the customer pays for the shipping how does it work for you when you box up the product and send it out.  Do you they provide you with a sticket were it states the shipping is payed and does fedx or UPS come and pick up the product from you or do you go to the Post office and ship it out.  Sorry if I have strange questions. 
I have been delaying because I don't understand how this all works and I don't want to loose money.

Thanks... and thanks Lexi's mom for posting this topic. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98472
[/QUOTE]

The customer will pay for shipping when they pay for the item itself. You will then pay the shipping service when you ship it. I take my packages to a place called "The UPS Store". I usually ship via UPS

I remember being overwhelmed with selling questions when I started but I found that eBay has excellent info on its site. Just go to the Help section and key in your question. On the rare occasions when I had a question that wasn't answered, I sent them an email and got a timely and accurate answer. Good luck with your eBay business!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by HollyHobbie+Sep 11 2005, 09:23 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@Sep 11 2005, 08:10 AM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98437

It doesnt happen to be Flash (from Justice Legue); Dash or ninga turtle by chance? LOL
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98451
[/B][/QUOTE]

No it is Minnie Mouse!

I am trying to convince her to be Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz this year. So far she is not willing. She wants to be one of the Barbie Princesses.
I think my son wants to be a Ninja.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by scottchelf@Sep 10 2005, 07:59 PM
You can visit www.usps.com and you can sign up to receive FREE the flat rate shipping boxes. I LOVE THESE! They come "broke down" and are very convenient, as you can use them to store your item while waiting for it to be purchased.  The USPS will ship these to you at no charge for the boxes nor shipping, and regardless of the weight, you can ship in these boxes for the flat rate.  Just be sure though that the boxes does not bulge at all because they will not accept it.  Also, and I'm sure you know this, you will want to be sure to charge the buyer for shipping.  Some people try to profit from shipping, and I think this is very wrong and not moral.  Please do not do this.<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98373
[/QUOTE]
Could you please give me the direct link to the page? I went on there but couldn't find it.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Sep 12 2005, 08:38 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-scottchelf
@Sep 10 2005, 07:59 PM
You can visit www.usps.com and you can sign up to receive FREE the flat rate shipping boxes. I LOVE THESE! They come "broke down" and are very convenient, as you can use them to store your item while waiting for it to be purchased.  The USPS will ship these to you at no charge for the boxes nor shipping, and regardless of the weight, you can ship in these boxes for the flat rate.  Just be sure though that the boxes does not bulge at all because they will not accept it.  Also, and I'm sure you know this, you will want to be sure to charge the buyer for shipping.  Some people try to profit from shipping, and I think this is very wrong and not moral.  Please do not do this.<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98373
Could you please give me the direct link to the page? I went on there but couldn't find it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98711
[/B][/QUOTE]
Forget it found it

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Kristi.. let me know what kind of info you find out about UPS... I wonder if that will work for my own business?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by Kodie@Sep 12 2005, 08:47 AM
Kristi.. let me know what kind of info you find out about UPS... I wonder if that will work for my own business?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98715
[/QUOTE]
From past experience I know that UPS is A LOT more than USPS. UPS was going to charge me $50 to ship the dog car seat. USPS only charged me $12 something!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Sep 12 2005, 10:12 AM
From past experience I know that UPS is A LOT more than USPS.  UPS was going to charge me $50 to ship the dog car seat.  USPS only charged me $12 something!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98723
[/QUOTE]

they are more until you get into having daily pickups then they will give you a much better rate, i have a UPS account but almost always use the USPS because they are cheaper, plus if you ship it priority mail you can pay postage online and they will pick it up at your house for free

here is the link to free shipping supplies from the USPS for anyone doing ebay sales, you can get boxes, labels, tape, etc, although most of it is for priority or express shipping only (and just a hint, if you order the tape that says priority on it, you have to ship the box priority if you use it
)

here is the link

you can alos get free boxes with the eBay logo on them

here is that link

1 - 20 of 22 Posts