Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today a strange and scary thing happened. I went to walk Eddie. We weren't even half way up the street and I noticed he was behind me and the leash started pulling. He had sat down and the he collapsed onto his side. he started crying and he went all floppy, i tried to see if he could stand but he kept falling to the side. I freaked out and ran home with him.

I put him on the couch and checked to see if he had steped on na stick or gotten stun, everything looked normal. he stopped crying. I went to call the vet but he started to walk around, I walked him around the house and he was fine, like nothing had happened.

It was reallt strange. We then went for a walk and he has seemed fine ever since. I was so scared when it happened, he has never done this before.

Does anyone know what this could of been??

Should I take him to the vet anyway? He is going on Wednesday to get his stitches removed, he got diesexed last week.

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
There are a number of things this could be and I would certainly have it checked by a vet as soon as possible.

Is he on some meds related to the neutering?

I have heard that sometimes the anesthesia used in surgery can lower the threshold for seizures and so if a dog is prone to them they might be more likely to have one after a surgical procedure.

Had he eaten well?

Having had a diabetic dog, I think often of hypoglycemia and so my first reaction to this kind of episode would be to be sure the dog has nutrical or something, but I certainly don't want to say that this is what your situation is. Again, there are many possibilities.

Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I would definitely have it checked out by a vet. It may have been something as simple as low sugar or it may have been something else. I wouldn't take any chances. Bettter safe than sorry.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
It sounds like Eddie could have had a seizure from what you describe, especially how you say he was fine shortly afterwards. Vaccines, anesthesia, anything that causes stress to the body can lower the seizure threshold.

He's young, though. Most often epilepsy doesn't start until they are a year old. A seizure in a dog that young is usually a symptom of something alse. Did he have bloodwork done before his neutering? Were his liver values normal? Liver disease can cause seizures.

I'd definately check with your vet today.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
I agree with everyone's comments about having him seen. Do you think it was a good idea taking him for a walk if his surgery was just last week? I don't know about Eddie but Ollie gets NUTSO when it's time for a walk and when he's out there he is SO excited. Maybe this was too much for Eddie too soon. I hope he's ok--let us know

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I agree with everyone's comments about having him seen. Do you think it was a good idea taking him for a walk if his surgery was just last week? I don't know about Eddie but Ollie gets NUTSO when it's time for a walk and when he's out there he is SO excited. Maybe this was too much for Eddie too soon. I hope he's ok--let us know
[/B]
Good point about the walk and surgery. I recall that my vet had said no leash walking until after the stitches out.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
You're describing almost exactly something that happened to Tchelsi once - I believe she was just under a year old. It was springtime, in the morning, so it was warm, but not hot out.We had been outside about 10 minutes taking a walk. Tchelsi climbed up a tiny hill, she stopped, wobbled a bit, and fell over on her side. She was out. It happened absolutely out of the blue. Like lightning we scooped her up and went running toward the apartment. We got maybe 10 feet when she lifted up her little head and said, "wuh". She looked like she was saying, "weeee! where's the fire...why are we running?" We took her inside and she was...completely back to her old self, like nothing had happened. We took her to the vet and they couldnt find one little thing out of place with her. The doctor's best guess was that Tchelsi had gotten too hot, or that maybe her blood sugar was down a little (though it was perfect when she checked it). It was very scary and I hated not getting a definitive answer, but I really believed that's what had happened too. Now, 4 1/2 years later, we have had some pretty strong indications that Tchelsi has epilepsy...but there's absolutely no way of knowing if that incident was related...I personally do not think it was.

I would definitely recommend getting it checked out by a vet right away, as others have said, it could be number of things that could cause an episode like this.

I pray that it's nothing at all, that little Eddie just got overheated. Good luck, and please keep us updated!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I hate to hear this! I hope that you will get Eddie checked out for your peace of mind. Hopefully the vet will be able to ease your mind.

1 - 20 of 233 Posts