Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shadow LOVES the edible Nylabones... are these good for her? I've heard that you should never give a dog rawhide or pig ears- but haven't heard much about the other bones out there.

Also.. what about the Kong Stuffin' thing... anyone giving that to their pup?

What other kinds of treats/bones are you giving your maltese? (please be specific so I can try and find them at the pet store - thanks!)

·
Registered
939 Posts
Tiki also enjoys the nylabones! They are very good for his teeth and help "brush" them.

He likes his kong also; Look at some of the older posts and I think there is a link on fillings for them. We stuff a small one with a piece of dog food and peanut butter. Keeps him busy for some time, but it is not his favorite.

His favorite is the rawhide I give him after a heavy duty grooming, but I watch him very closely as I have read dogs can choke on them and the rawhide can cause problems during digestion. We take it away when it gets to soft. I have never done pig ears; they gross me out

I give all natural soft treats from Pets-mart most of the time. No artificual coloring to worrey about (tear stains). They are soft and chewy and very small. I am not sure of the name but they are in a small can made by nutra for PetsMart.

Judi

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response, TikisMom.... Quick question... are you implying that artifical coloring in treats causes tear staining? I've never heard of that. Do the 'natural' treats really prevent this? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks..

·
Registered
939 Posts
No proof, but I know that Tiki's tear stains are minimal since feeding him only food/treats with no artificial coloring. I am sure if I took the time to clean the eye area every day he wouldn't realy have any stains at all.

My father in law has a malt mix that he was feeding food that contained coloring; This dog was dark redish/biege when I last saw him -- he was a very white puppy. I mentioned the food color idea to them and they changed his food. In the most recent pictures he is much lighter.

I got the idea last December when we first got Tiki and the stains started showing up. I was doing a web search and reading everything I could find. I am not sure where I found it, but it was mentioned more than a few times.

Judi

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks... so what food do you feed Tiki then? I'll have to take a look at what makes up Shadow's food (Eukanuba)... along with ALL of her treats!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Tiki is now on "Natural Choice; Chicken meal, Rice and Oatmeal Formula" made by "Nutro". This is an adult small dog food. You need to buy it at a pet store. We went to adult food at 9 months per my vets recomendation. Before that he was on a Nutro small breed puppy food --- not sure of the exact name. You may not have to worrey about treats; depends on how many she gets. Tiki gets lots

Judi

1 - 6 of 6 Posts