Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Tiki also enjoys the nylabones! They are very good for his teeth and help "brush" them.

He likes his kong also; Look at some of the older posts and I think there is a link on fillings for them. We stuff a small one with a piece of dog food and peanut butter. Keeps him busy for some time, but it is not his favorite.

His favorite is the rawhide I give him after a heavy duty grooming, but I watch him very closely as I have read dogs can choke on them and the rawhide can cause problems during digestion. We take it away when it gets to soft. I have never done pig ears; they gross me out

I give all natural soft treats from Pets-mart most of the time. No artificual coloring to worrey about (tear stains). They are soft and chewy and very small. I am not sure of the name but they are in a small can made by nutra for PetsMart.

Judi

·
Registered
939 Posts
No proof, but I know that Tiki's tear stains are minimal since feeding him only food/treats with no artificial coloring. I am sure if I took the time to clean the eye area every day he wouldn't realy have any stains at all.

My father in law has a malt mix that he was feeding food that contained coloring; This dog was dark redish/biege when I last saw him -- he was a very white puppy. I mentioned the food color idea to them and they changed his food. In the most recent pictures he is much lighter.

I got the idea last December when we first got Tiki and the stains started showing up. I was doing a web search and reading everything I could find. I am not sure where I found it, but it was mentioned more than a few times.

Judi

·
Registered
939 Posts
Tiki is now on "Natural Choice; Chicken meal, Rice and Oatmeal Formula" made by "Nutro". This is an adult small dog food. You need to buy it at a pet store. We went to adult food at 9 months per my vets recomendation. Before that he was on a Nutro small breed puppy food --- not sure of the exact name. You may not have to worrey about treats; depends on how many she gets. Tiki gets lots

Judi

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.