Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got Bambi about a month ago, and she just turned 3 months on the 19th of June. The first 2 weeks of having her, she was terrific...she would pee/poo on her pad and then when I switched to a litter box, she adjusted to that just fine. But now it is almost as though she refuses to go on either one. I try to watch her every move, but its like she waits until I turn my back and then she does her business. I reward her when she does it right but firmly say NO when she goes elsewhere (which is more often than not). I am getting SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO frustrated with her because I feel like she is never going to get it!!! I try crating her but all she does is scream...not cry but scream! And when I gate her, she managed to find her way out (she's a smart little rascal). Is this normal? Will she EVER learn? I can't take her to my parents because she has done her business on my parents persian rugs...which they were not too happy about. Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Yes. She has too much freedom.

Make the crate a positive place. Feed her in it with the door open. Throw treats in it. Give her special chews in it. Do all of this with the door open. Once she is relaxed about that (a week or so), start closing the door for a few second while she is eating. Train her to go in and out of the kennel. Give her an extra special chew (Stuffed kong) and close the door for slightly longer periods. Once she is comfortable being shut in, you can start walking out of the room and right back. This is alone training, helping her to learn the crate is a great place and being alone is a good experience.

In the mean time, leash her to you when you are not actively watching her. Use a 4 of 6 ft leash so she cannot get out of your sight. Take her to her pads or box and stand there with her. I like to put it in a pen so I can stand there with the dog in the pen and they get out and a treat as soon as they go.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts