Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone. After getting Lexi's haircut I have am thinking that I could do it (and save $35 a cut). Could you please recommend some clippers?

I have never cut anyone (person's or animal's). Is there a good website or video I can get to help me?

Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i have gotten 2 clippers from petsmart! the first one was from oster--it was broken. i got pissed so i bought the andis clipper box set---they dont seem to go fast. i agree with nicole--just buy human type--they probably go fast.

its such a pain in the butt to cut sprites hair because her hair is so fine and thin---i literally have to grab her hair taught and then use the clippers.. i cant just do it normal. i have to do sections. so it takes me 30 minutes to groom sprite---but 15 to groom ellie. and the andis clippers go sooo slow.

also--when you first get the clippers--i always put it against the palm of my hands so that i know how hard i push. and to make sure if it hurts or not. i dont want sprite or ellie to get hurt, you know?

good luck with grooming!!!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i use scissors on the face---i still feel uncomfortable with the clippers. <_<

but i definitely use clippers for the pads of their feet. i like the wahl trimmer. it was under $20.

i tried using my andis clippers on their feet---but it was hot...and it seems too big to get that area.

THATS another problem i have---the andis clippers get sooo hot. i use an attachment...but if i didnt--it would hurt the girls.

anyway, when you buy the clippers...tell me how yours works. thanks

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Recently, and I meant to add it to my Favorites but didn't, there was a breeder website listed in a post here that had the best instructions with clear diagrams for grooming a Maltese. Gave pictures of the tools you need, etc. It was just great, very step-by-step.

I had an oriental looking name.....does anyone remember? Bei, or Pei something like that?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Yep, that was me. The site is: Bhe-Jei Maltese

Great site, lots of good information. When you go to the page look at the left menu bar and you can find what you need.

Judi

·
Registered
939 Posts
No I got Tiki locally (Texas)... I can't afford a puppy from Bhe-Jei :<(
but I do love the site, lots of great information.

Judi

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got a wahl rechargeable cord/less one and

Im still to try it on them not much noise I never used a clipper before

so Im not sure if it will work but I have asked many barbers and they all agreed that it should work fine as Nichole too has said

I must confess Im a bit terrified of these things myself so have to gain confidence first so they don't pick up the fact that Im insecure which they do
when you groom them with confidence it becomes easily done I have found

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for all of your responses. I am going to start looking around at different stores and seeing what kind of human hair clippers each carries. I am not planning on buying anything though until the middle of this month (budget reasons :lol: ).

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Lol, tell me about budget reasons. i only make like $1200/month (and my sister makes a lot more, but bills are crazy around here) and i have been trying to save as much money as possible for dog training. anyway, so i save up the $995 that will cover 9 sessions and i call up the dog trainer and he's like "oh, i raised my prices to $1200 per dog" and i'm like "well, i only have $1100 in my account" and he was like "i'll give it to you for the price i quoted you 5 months ago" and so im all relieved but then he says "ok, so you pay now, and since you have three dogs--on the 15th give me $600 and then on the 30th give me $395-for the next 2 months...you'll have money left over" :eek: and im like "
ok"

remember that when you buy your shaver---ask them what the return policy is. you want to make sure you can use it and like it.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know! Since Feb. 1 I have moved to a new city, gotten my first apartment, and gotten my "first" dog (first that I personally owned). My savings is now non-existant. Thank god for charge cards. But now I have to pay them off. So I am hoping in the next couple of months I can start saving again. :lol:

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
ugh! we maxxed our credit cards($13,000) to get the down payment for our expedition(i dont have any credit, and they wanted a big down payment so we could get the 0% apr for 5 yrs). i thought "no problem, we'll pay it back in 4 months"........we had money problems for a while, so we paid only $1500 for 5 or 6 months....then the FIRST time i use online payment---they say it's late. wont even talk to me. so now the interest alone is $300/month. this is the situation that my family told me to never get into. lol.

the cool thing is that all three are trained to do commands quickly on a loose leash, halt, BUT only if there aren't any distractions. i cant wait till i get them trained for off-leash. and im thinking that if the trainer does the evaluation on gruffi---that we could train him for protection. i dont know if it's going to work though....he's a little chicken.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I finally bought a clippers yesterday. I love it! I had talked to groomers at PetCo and PetSmart. They tried to talk me into $100-200 clippers. The kind they use 8 times a day. I was like I will only be using it once every 3-4 weeks. I ended up going to Sally's and getting the Wahl Designer. It is on sale at Sally's this month for $35 (the cost of haircut at PetSmart) and Sally's has a 90 day return policy.

I used it on Lexi yesterday and was very suprised how easy it was to use. I have to say she did not look to bad afterwards! :lol: I think what really helped was having someone else hold her still while I used the clippers.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts