Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The blood work done on Sunny last week showed elevated bun levels so another test was run yesterday. The first test he was 30 and yesterday it was 38. Dr. is putting him on a Hills Prescription diet k/d canine. I am hoping to get some info on this and what it might mean. Any ideas? His urine is very yellow but he drinks plenty of water, eats and eliminates well. No problems.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had been feeding him Purina puppy chow along with a home made mixture of ground beef, brown rice and carrotts. Neither time the blood was drawn had he fasted. What do you mean a pretty unexciting normal? The first test was done just as they were doing his neutering so he may have been stressed. Yes, I do believe he was stressed! Yesterday though he shouldn't have been. Do you suppose the puppy chow could be the culprit? Dr. says this could be a birth defect in which case there isn't much that can be done. He wants me to use the new food and check him again in 6 weeks.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I was lead to believe that the Hills K/d was the cure all, but that formula caused another issue with my Female Bichon. Maybe you could ask your vet about Royal Canin Urinary So 14..It's fairly new and this particular formula addressed both issues.. In our case it was kidney stones.. Is you dog an older dog, or young? It could be kidney issues, but don't panic, there is alot that can be done to help him these days.. Go on line and educate yourself so you can discuss this with your vet with alot of knowledge under your belt , so to speak..I'm not trying to say that this is a kidney stone issue, I'm just saying what my experience was.. Hope your little guy is going to be better soon...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nobody said anything about stones. Dr. did mention birth defect. He has been eating the new dog food like crazy. Well........maybe I exaggerate a bit but he has eaten close to 1/2 cup. I do want to get as much info as I can.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
What type of birth defect? Sunny is what..4 months? Have you talked to his breeder? I'd get another vet's opinion.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just love Cosy's pix. No, Sunny is 6 1/2 months old now. I emailed my breeder but have not got a response yet. I don't think I can go through the loss of another so quick. Surely, it isn't serious! His pee is very yellow and he drinks plenty of water.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know. I didn't talk to the vet face to face when he gave me the results. He called on the phone and we didn't go into detail as I guess I was stunned and didn't know what questions to ask except, "what does this mean"?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
surely there are some folks out there that has faced something like this with their dog. Please let me hear from you.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
surely there are some folks out there that has faced something like this with their dog. Please let me hear from you.
I think you need to follow up with your vet. I'd call tomorrow and ask for a phone consult, then write your questions down.

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Sandy,

Mercedes had elevated Bun and creatine as a puppy. I was feeding a high protein diet. My vet did not fast her before the blood draw. I changed her diet to wellness and had her tested again and she was normal. Puppy food is higher in protein. I would not feed him hamburger. Wellness and Natural Balance are good foods. I sent you a pm with my phone number call me if you have questions.

Cathy

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You know, neither time they did a blood draw had he fasted. I am betting that might be the difference???? I hope. Yes, the puppy food was a high protein but he wasn't really getting too much of that. I will take Lady's mom's advice and call the vet tomorrow with questions particularly about the fasting thing. I just can't believe there is anything wrong with this little guy!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Scooby has a BUN of 52 with normal ceatinine but he had suffered kidney damage in the past from a anti inflamatory and chicken strips made commercially. This all happened a few years ago and he is now classed as being in what they call cronic renal failure. He takes lasix to help clear out his BUN, I might add though that he is happy and doing very well, has a good appetite and plays actively with Koko. Our vet says he is doing great considering what he went through.
My vet also told me that higher than normal BUN can be common in toy breeds without there being any major underlying kidney ailment.
I would also take a urine sample for culture test next time you go to the vet just to see what readings they get.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info. I do hate to buy commercially made treats etc. He loves the rawhide chews and I wonder about them. I try to be sure they are not made in china but you can't always be sure.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Elevated BUN

Thanks for the info. I do hate to buy commercially made treats etc. He loves the rawhide chews and I wonder about them. I try to be sure they are not made in china but you can't always be sure.
I make sure now that nothing from China comes into the house for the boys. The best way to do this is to make your own dehydrated chicken and beef treats which I have been doing now for some time. I don't add anything just dehydrate slices of chicken breast and beef steak and the boys love them.
You are right you cannot be sure about commercial chew products these days that's for sure.
I do hope your little one's BUN is normal next time it's checked:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts