Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby who just turned 9 on March 6 was attacked this past Sunday by a very large dog, her hip we determined on Monday at the vet is dislocated, hence the reason she will not put her leg down. I was told by the vet it could not be put back in place because over 4-6 hours had passed and she would need the ball shaved off and it would regrow back to fit into hip socket. She had blood work that same day and now they have determined her liver enzymes are elevated ..around 82.....so surgery is not an option for two weeks...she has to be placed on special diet and take liquid meds twice per day......does anyone know if this is a big deal with her liver? Will there be permanent nerve damage more likely by waiting? I am devastated...please help

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
9,906 Posts
I assume that it is the AST that is high. A high AST can be caused by trauma or muscle damage and might not be liver related. Unless it is a pain medication, I would think the liquid medication is lactulose, which is made from a milk enzyme and is used to keep the system clean (softens poops and helps eliminate toxins such as ammonia from the system. You might want a second opinion at a university or specialized clinic, normally it would be several times the normal range before it becomes worrisome. I don't have any experience with neurology, so I can not offer advise there. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
10,272 Posts
Walter has provided you with some great advice. Milk Thistle is also a wonderful supplement for liver health. Animal Essentials which has an online store is my favorite brand and is recommended by our holistic vet; they were founded and are owned by a veterinarian.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts