Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an email someone sent to me. I thought it was funny.

*An exciting historical fact...*

An exciting historical fact you should know about shipping Manure:

In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship.

It was also before commercial fertilizer's invention, so large shipments of manure were common. It was shipped dry, because in that form it weighed a lot less than
when wet, but once water at sea hit it, it not only became heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by-product is methane gas.

As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen. Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening.

After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the term "*Ship High In Transit*" on them which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term "S.H.I.T," which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word.

Neither did I. I always thought it was a golf term.

·
Registered
447 Posts
HAHAHAHAHA that is friggn' hilarious!

I know the one behind F.U.C.K.

When the King of a country or settlement had to prepare for war he would have all the knights living with him within the fort or castle. The wives and children were of course not allowed because war could strike at any time. Also they would have to be waiting for many months sometimes battles went on for years. The king would "hire" women of the night for the knights to have "fun" with. THis was called Fornication Upon the COnsent of the King because the king basically said it was okay to committ adultery because of circumstance!

See these words are really not "bad" words. I guess the only real curse word is darn, and thats the one "bad" word that we all don't think is really that bad!

LOL humans are so weird!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
thats sooo cool. thanks for posting that!!! i ALWAYS say that word! lol.

do you get emails of facts or something? or was that just from a friend? my sis loves reading facts.
thanks

·
Registered
260 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Aug 23 2004, 03:27 PM
This is an email someone sent to me.  I thought it was funny. 

*An exciting historical fact...*

An exciting historical fact you should know about shipping Manure:

In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship.

It was also before commercial fertilizer's invention, so large shipments of manure were common. It was shipped dry, because in that form it weighed a lot less than
when wet, but once water at sea hit it, it not only became heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by-product is methane gas.

As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen. Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening.

After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the term "*Ship High In Transit*" on them which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term "S.H.I.T," which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word.

Neither did I.  I always thought it was a golf term.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=7463
[/QUOTE]

Now we know "The rest of the Story"....ha ha ....that was a good story Lexi's mom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts