Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next month Toto will be 10 years old, and Tuffy will be 6 years old (they even share the same birth date.)

For the last month or so, Tuffy has taken an extreme interest in Toto's private part. I mean, any chance she gets, her nose/face is right there checking him out. I can't help but think that she is smelling that something is wrong with him physically :blink: and I'm worried about it.

I just had them at the vet for their annual check up at the beginning of the month and I told the vet that she has been doing this. So he pulled back the sheath and said that everything looks healthy. No symptoms to indicate any urinary problems either.

You know how some dogs can sense when someone is going to have an epileptic attack or other illness? Could she be picking up on something? I don't know what else I can do to have him checked out more. I feel kind of stupid to relate that I think something's wrong because his widdle sister won't leave his you-know-what alone but it's just concerning me a lot.

Deb

·
Premium Member
6,772 Posts
I thought of you when I had a layover in Chicago on Monday!! but no internet to send you a note!

Anyway, did you have his blood work done or just a basic check up?
When was his last blood work?
I know they do it before dentals, so you could wait until then.
I didn't have full blood screenings done until my dogs were about 12/13 (other then dentals).

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jen, yes I had complete blood work done on both of the T's. Nothing significant showed up for Toto, Tuffy's thyroid indicated that I should lower her thyroid meds but only the T4 was done so I took her back last week for a complete thyroid panel. I don't want to make adjustments without knowing the whole story. I'm still waiting to get those results back so thank you. When I speak to the vet, I'm going to ask him to go back and look at Toto's blood work to see if there might be any indication of a problem that would coincide with Tuffy's new found obsession.

Oh man, Monday was my day off too! We would have loved a little layover meet-up!

Deb

·
Premium Member
6,772 Posts
Hmm well my last suggestion is urine sample.

Sigh, Atticus and I were just hanging out. Wondering how many states we could visit in one day (4)

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have had this happen with a male dog and it was an anal gland issue. Did the vet check this?? Just an thought
Hi, thank you for the suggestion. The vet expressed his anal glands at my request and there was nothing unusual. I wish Tuffy could talk lol. I keep asking her "what are you smelling?????"

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
My first thought was that Tuffy indeed can sense something different with Toto. If he's been screened for possible cancers, infections, etc and everything looks normal, I guess he's probably fine...but I do believe dogs have the ability to sense abnormal things (not saying anything is wrong). I agree with you in having the dr check the bloodwork results again to make sure everything was normal.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Deb, maybe Tuffy is just a neat freak and once she's done cleaning her party bits she's checking on Toto to see if he's done his part in the hygiene department. :blink:B):huh::HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Is it possible ther has been a change in anything 'diet-wise' ? Thinking, if so, maybe she's picking up that his urine smells 'different" ( from any residue after peeing).

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
They can smell cancer, so I was thinking maybe cancer. But how can you test for something that you cannot see ? if the blood work comes back normal.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They can smell cancer, so I was thinking maybe cancer. But how can you test for something that you cannot see ? if the blood work comes back normal.
I just don't know :crying:and that is my biggest fear. I'm still waiting to hear back from the vet regarding Tuffy's thyroid. I think I'm going to call in the morning and try to speak to the vet and ask him to look at Toto's blood test results with that in mind. Wouldn't there be an elevation of certain cells if cancer was surfacing?

As for the question about diet, I haven't changed their food or supplements. And Toto never has a stained or dirty looking you-know-what. He gets a paw wash and "under carriage" wash after every walk.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I have no answers for you ...sorry...just want to let you know that I hope that nothing is wrong with Toto...I know Skylar Sue just turned 9..and I too worry more about her health .....wish we could turn back the clock ...hugs to your little ones...

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So...I called the vet asking if Tuffy's thyroid test was back and they told me that it wasn't. I asked if they sent the blood to MSU on the day that it was drawn and they said that it was. The office manager got on the phone and told me that it was in fact sent out on May 5th and that they use the packaging provided by MSU to ship the blood. She told me that it was just received by MSU on May 13th and that it could take another week! She assurred me that the time delay wouldn't affect the accuracy of the test. My previous vet used MSU for thyroid testing and it never took this long.

I also want to say that you guys are the best and I so appreciate all of your input. After responding to Brit's thoughts about hygiene by saying that Toto gets frequent under carriage washes, I started thinking....(dangerous lol.)

For the last month or so, I have been using Dove Go Fresh shampoo/conditioner on Toto but not on Tuffy because of her allergies and sensitivities. Wondering and hoping if maybe she is sniffing because of that? I'm going to switch back to his regular stuff and see what happens. I know it's unlikely, but worth a shot.

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
I have only been able to pop on and off here the past couple of days and haven't really looked at New Posts like I should. (Never got in the habit of using that handy tool) :brownbag: So I'm just now seeing this. I know you are terribly worried and I'm so sorry you are having to wait so long for Tuffy's Thyroid results. Waiting is the absolute worst.

As I was reading through the posts, the thought came to me...do their hormone levels change as they age? And wondered if possibly Toto's are changing and he 'smells different'? So Tuffy's naturally curious? Or possibly Tuffy's hormone's are changing? Biology is not my forte, but they still have some hormones after they are spayed or neutered, right? But then I saw your response about using a different shampoo on him and that is actually a really good thought. Hope once you give him a bath in what you used to use, you see a difference in Ms. Tuffy's new found curiosity.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The more I thought about this, the more I think I would have a urine culture done, too. I know when I have had bladder infections, the smell is different (sorry for being graphics) and the urine is a bit cloudy so if your other baby is constantly smelling that area, there could be something abnormal in the urine he may be detecting. Just food for thought. Hope you find what's going on soon. I know this is a constant worrry! Hugs to the Toto and Tuffy!!!

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have only been able to pop on and off here the past couple of days and haven't really looked at New Posts like I should. (Never got in the habit of using that handy tool) :brownbag: So I'm just now seeing this. I know you are terribly worried and I'm so sorry you are having to wait so long for Tuffy's Thyroid results. Waiting is the absolute worst.

As I was reading through the posts, the thought came to me...do their hormone levels change as they age? And wondered if possibly Toto's are changing and he 'smells different'? So Tuffy's naturally curious? Or possibly Tuffy's hormone's are changing? Biology is not my forte, but they still have some hormones after they are spayed or neutered, right? But then I saw your response about using a different shampoo on him and that is actually a really good thought. Hope once you give him a bath in what you used to use, you see a difference in Ms. Tuffy's new found curiosity.
Well Crystal, Toto had a bath a couple of days ago with his old shampoo (I told him it was your fault that he was getting a bath :innocent:) Anyway, now there is a new twist. Before Tuffy would just do a "sniffy sniffy, sniffy sniffy" and that would be it. Now she does a "sniffy sniffy, sniffy sniffy, and then a big SNORT. She has done it several times now :HistericalSmiley:

Yukki, I think getting a urine culture is a great idea. If the vet ever calls me back with Tuffy's thyroid results, I'm going to ask him about it. :smilie_tischkante: Honestly, it's very difficult for me to be aware of any urgency or frequency issues because I use wee wee pads and with both dogs using them, I don't always know who is doing what.

Thank you again to everyone!

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
lol...maybe she's snorting because she's frustrated that Toto smells like the old Toto? :HistericalSmiley:

I think a urine culture is a great idea too. Jett had a low grade UTI for who knows how long and there was not an increase in frequency. But I did notice his little boy faucet was wet more and more. I'm thinking he probably had a UTI for awhile before that particular and only symptom showed up because it took a 2nd round of antibiotics to clear it up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts