Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its funny how my first dog is jealous of the new dog...each time I pick lucy up and cuddle her piper freaks out...yet the little one is perfectly ok with sharing.
Has anyone else gone through this? Is it a personality thing or a purchase/adoption order thing?

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
First lets dispel the myth. There is no such thing as jealousy for dogs, there is no such thing as hurt feelings. Jealousy is a very complicated (human) emotion, with a lot of thought going into it. Dogs don't have the ability for that. What you see in dogs and call jealousy is one of two things: competition (which is the equivalent of sibling rivalry) or straightening out the peck order.
You can ward off serious problems by putting a few rules into effect. If you absolutely, positively know that Piper is dominant, give him preferential treatment. You don't have to make a big deal of it. Put his food down first. Pet him first when you come home. Give him attention before you do so for Lucy. When you give Piper preferential treatment, you are letting both dog know that you respect Piper as the dominant dog. You must respect the dogs' relationship. You can't decide which one is going to be dominant.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
piper gets upset no matter who I pet first. i can't ever touch or play with lucy...poor thing has to be handled sneaky...when piper isn't looking :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts