Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, Koa got "excited" for the first time. I called the vet this AM to schedule his neutering surgury, and they asked if both of his testicles had dropped yet. They seemed very surprised when I told them at five months, neither of them had appeared. They said that if they do not drop soon, I will have to pay a lot of extra money to have them "searched for" and removed.

Has anyone else had trouble with this? At what age do the testies usually drop? Is this a major health concern? :-(

Sorry for the awkward nature of the question... we're going to see the vet in two weeks. (First available appointment.) Just trying to get some info before then.

TIA

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I had also heard that if the testicles don't drop it can be a worse surgery...both for the dog and the pocketbook. I kept an eye out and did a check often for his "peanuts". My little country vet about fell out when I told him that I thought Brink was ready to be neutered, that both his "peanuts" had descended.
I know sometimes he wishes I would stay off the web!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Yes, the surgery is more involved, but think of it like a spay. He'll have a little bit larger of an incision for the vet to find those missing testicles. He definitely should be neutered. You don't want him to get testicular cancer which can be more likely if a dog has undescended testicles. Usually if they aren't down by around 6 months, they don't drop.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Okay, this is the second time this has happened to me. I posted a long response, saw it post and now it isn't there!
Does this happen to anyone else?

Anyway, I basically said the same thing happened when we got the beagles. They both only had one testicle. The breeder wouldn't let us choose the dog we wanted because she was waiting to see if their testicles would drop. Of course she didn't tell us this, she said she was waiting to see which one had "show potential."

When we got them neutered, Aaden's hidden testicle must have been a bit more difficult to find because his neutering cost more.

When we got Toby, I knew better. I asked the breeder if his testicles had dropped and she said they had. However, when she wasn't looking I had my husband feel.

I do recall the vet saying that dogs who don't drop their testicles increase their chances of getting testicular cancer. The vet also told us that it is more than likely genetics that the testicle didn't drop.

I also had a thought while typing all this...I think that should be a question added to the list of questions to ask a breeder. I'm surprised that more people don't ask it.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
When we got Toby, I knew better. I asked the breeder if his testicles had dropped and she said they had. However, when she wasn't looking I had my husband feel. [/B]
Lol, a good thing we have husbands for that. -_-

One of Alex's testicle was missing too and they had to search for it. Fortunately for my pocket book it was close and they did not charge me much more. I heard too that it was hereditary.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Tucker has one undescended testicle (he is one year old). My vet said the same thing about the risk of testicular cancer. Tuck is getting neutered the day before Thanksgiving. My vet already knows where the un-dropped testicle is, he showed me and I can feel it also (so he won't have to search for it). My vet also says it can be hereditary. One of the vets told me if I was planning to breed him, he would breed fine. But the other one said he would not recommend that because he could pass that on to his offspring and even pass it on to the females who would then possibly pass it on to their male offspring...(never ending cycle, I guess). But I wasn't planning to breed Tucker anyway. I just wish I had gotten him neutered earlier. Of course, I didn't even know about his undescended testicle until right before he got parvo, so of course I had to wait until he was completely healed from that before putting him through a surgery.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all so much! I talked to my doctor and he said that there is still hope - that Koa's testicles still have time to drop. She said that smaller breeds can take up to six months to drop. If they don't, we'll have to do the surgury.

My husband is pretty mad at the breeder, because as some of you said, you should not bred a dog with this type of genetic defect. I don't mind that my little pup won't be able to have puppies someday, but it still is a pretty serious condition considering it can cause cancer. Seems like irresponsible breeding to me. :-(

Thanks again. I'll be hoping for the best with Koa. Unfortunately, husband is deployed with the Navy, so I have to check for the testicles myself. Ack.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Bijou had to have exploratory surgery for undestended testicles. The first breeder that I talked to sent me an email telling me that her partner in Tennessee has a totally healthy puppy for sale. Neither breeder told me about even the possibility of undestended testicles. His brother that they were saving for show is now for sale at nine months old so I suppose his testicles didn't drop either and I'm sure that the buyer will not be told about this either.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Max is three months old. His little peanuts are out but so tiny (cute). The Vet confirmed that they have dropped even though so tiny.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts