Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my bf spotted a flea on dixie's parting today!!! only one, he got it off quick and it hadn't bitten into her skin.

we checked her little body and no sign of any others or eggs.

i've used frontline from her being 10 weeks old and just hoping i won't have to treat my whole house?

is it just a one off?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I don't know where you live, but the fall (and winter also in the South) is the worst time of the year for fleas as they are looking for host to get away from the cold weather.

I also use Frontline year round, but found few fleas on Lady and my cats about a month ago. This time of year I uses a carpet powder (Adams or Zodiac are the best) to kill anything that might think it wants to take up residence in my carpet. Don't get the spray, the powder works better. You sprinkle it on, then work it into the carpet with a broom, wait 30 minutes or so (follow directions), then vaccum. It lasts for about a year. Between that and the Frontline, you shouldn't have a problem since you just started seeing fleas.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is that pet flea carpet stuff u mean? instead of sprays?

was just on way to supermarket for flea shampoo and a flea collar?!!

i was just under the impression you wouldn't see fleas with using the frontline!! doh!!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
u shouldnt have fleas w/ the frontline...i dont understand why you are having them. don't get the flea collar, they dont work, they stink and makes all the fleas run to the pups butt. how old is ur puppy now? all other products besides frontline and advantage cant be used on puppies unter 12 weeks of age. might want to reapply the frontline and hope that works. or buy some advantage. when dogs are on the topical spot ons they usually act like xterminators and take care of the fleas in ur house too...unless the house has them really bad.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by beccypaul@Dec 20 2004, 11:30 AM

i was just under the impression you wouldn't see fleas with using the frontline!! doh!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24449
[/QUOTE]

Frontline only works after the fleas have bitten the dog. If they don't bite it can't do anything.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Dec 20 2004, 12:35 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-beccypaul
@Dec 20 2004, 11:30 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24449
Frontline only works after the fleas have bitten the dog. If they don't bite it can't do anything.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24452
[/B][/QUOTE]
according to the website just being incontact with the coat is all that is needed to kill the flea

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats the problem they don't look like theyve bitten her at all

sorry its stronghold for pups under 2kg

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Learned something new! Oh, an according to the website it can be used as young as 8 weeks old.

How quickly does FRONTLINE flea and tick protection kill parasites?
When it comes to pet flea control supplies, FRONTLINE products are best of breed. Our research shows FRONTLINE for dogs and cats will kill 100% of your pet's fleas within 18 hours and kills 100% of your pet's ticks within 48 hours of application.
White[/B]
Do fleas and ticks have to bite my pet for FRONTLINE to work?
No. FRONTLINE supplies your pet with protection if fleas simply come into contact with your pet's coat within the post-application time periods mentioned above.[/B]
I just applied FRONTLINE, but I still see active fleas. Why?
Fipronil, an active ingredient of FRONTLINE, works by blocking stabilizing ions in the neurons of invertebrates like fleas. Without the stabilizing ions, the fleas die from hyperstimulation. This means that the fleas may become slightly more active just before they die. However, you should rest assured that this is a sign that FRONTLINE is working.[/B]
I treated my pet with FRONTLINE, but I still see fleas in my home. Why?
The fleas you see may have hatched from flea eggs that were laid before you began using FRONTLINE for dogs and cats. Regular application of FRONTLINE flea and tick protection to your pet will break the flea's life cycle.[/B]

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
what company makes it so i can look at it on their website to see the active ingredient never mind i see its pfizer...i willl look it up

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i think it is revolution...but is called that in the UK ...when i worked at a vet clinic we didnt have as good as results with that product....i would get some frontline or advantage...that should take care of ur probs

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
No, you don't want to use a collar or anything in addition to the Frontline. The carpet powder is safe, though.

When was the last time you applied Frontline? It says 3 months for fleas, but if you bathe her often, you need to apply it more often.

One other thing. There was a problem with conterfeit flea products recently. Where did oyu get your FRontline? From your vet or a reputable catalogue? Did you check the expiration date?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
stronghold is what the vet recommended cus frontline was for over 2kg and she is about 1.5 now. i apply it monthly and it was in date, checked it all

just got some carpet stuff and shampoo xxx

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
makesure the shampoo is safe...some of the chemicals in some shampoos can make a puppy very sick

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ladymontana,

frontline is well better, thats what i asked for and the vet was giving it to me until he checked and the dog must be over 2 kg.

i have on more pipette of stronghold and am not happy with it and want to go on frontline after that. the thing is she may not be 2kg yet. i could use frontline but just not apply it all?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i know for advantage you can do it like that..im not sure about frontline...maybe someone on here can tell you if they put it on their pup when they were that small. my vet only sold revolution and advantage, so i know most about those products...i only know about frontline what ive been taught in vetschool....which so far is only on the efficacy of the product..not on application.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i have a box of frontline at home and it only said up to 22lbs ....doesnt have a minimum weight...hmmm

1 - 20 of 30 Posts