Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on this site for fun. I want to learn, and to share imforation. I enjoy reading the post, and I've met friends here.
Now, here is my situation. I am also a breeder. In the past three years, I've sold six Maltese pups and one adult dog. In the future, I will have other pups that I will be offering for sale. I do not plan to post anytime I do have pups. I do not think this is right, as I do not think I should use this site for that. To me, that is not ethical.
The problem arises when someone from this asks if I do have pups. This can be through an email obtained from my website, or through a PM. I don't want to just come out and lie and say I don't. I did that last week, and it has bothered me.
I have talked with some of you through phone and PM's about a pup, and right now, I do plan to sell one to a member. Guess who? But, I still have that nagging feeling about ethics. I'm not talking about a lot of pups in the future, and they are certainly easy to sell (I have a waiting list). I don't want to hide my pups, nor do I want to advertise that I have them, but I still have a funny feeling about this. I would appreciate everyone's opinion on this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
860 Posts
I fully understand how you feel I am standing allot in your same shoes. I admire your honesty that means more then anything . I feel so much way you do want to learn as well share experience been through. I think this is great you came up with this. I set back for quite sometime an never said or shared pictures of my fur kidz but I came to a point I am proud of what I do (might not always do it right but I love my mlates) I am proud to show off my kidz and was tired of hiding it afraid some might think I am just another breeder I am doing this cause I love my maltese. I feel I am on the same level you are and you made some very good points. Thank You
Teaco
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,659 Posts
You certainly don't come across as someone who joined SM to hawk their puppies. We've had a few, the most memorable being Maria and her teacups....what a thread that was!

I have always felt that your posts intelligently offer a different perspective on many of our hot topics, from that of a breeder. They are informative and enlightening (even if I don't always agree!). I think in the course of doing this, we have come to see how you run your breeding program, how the puppies are raised, etc. and many people here probably feel comfortable contacting you about buying a puppy.

I certainly think using pm's and email is a wonderful way to handle inquiries about puppies. If I recall correctly, I don't think I have ever heard you even mention a puppy being available, just shown us a few pictures.

I think many of us here would have a problem with someone who joined SM to post puppies for sale in our "Buy, Sell or Trade" section, but that is certainly not the case with you.

I certainly wouldn't worry about it if I were you, but if you have "a funny feeling" about it, just ask them to use your regular email instead of pms' through SM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,319 Posts
I have to admit I contributed to at least one person asking you for pups (I told them you are a great breeder but that you only breed for show but may at some point have a puppy that doesn't make it to show so they should ask you). I somewhat felt guilty about it but on the other hand...you are a great breeder and if someone is looking for a pup, then they should ask you (right?) even though you are not breeding for sale only. I think its perfectly ethical for people to ask you if you do have pups available because you may have a puppy available and they may know more about you and feel more comfortable with you than with someone they don't know. I think its great that you don't advertise here and don't give your website here or even really use your name. It sorts of bothers me when people do use this forum as a place for sale only. Anyways, when I do look for another pup, I would rather buy from you than anyone else and I think its great that I met you through a forum like this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Teaco@Aug 12 2005, 11:45 AM
I fully understand how you feel I am standing allot in your same shoes. I admire your honesty that means more then anything .  I feel so much way you do want to learn as well share experience been through.  I think this is great you came up with this. I set back for quite sometime an never said or shared pictures of my fur kidz but I came to a point I am proud of what I do (might not always do it right but I love my mlates) I am proud to show off my kidz and was tired of hiding it afraid some might think I am just another breeder I am doing this cause I love my maltese. I feel I am on the same level you are and you made some very good points. Thank You
Teaco
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89866
[/QUOTE]


Teaco, I knew you would have the same concerns. It's obvious that you love your babies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by okw@Aug 12 2005, 11:48 AM
I have to admit I contributed to at least one person asking you for pups (I told them you are a great breeder but that you only breed for show but may at some point have a puppy that doesn't make it to show so they should ask you).  I somewhat felt guilty about it but on the other hand...you are a great breeder and if someone is looking for a pup, then they should ask you (right?) even though you are not breeding for sale only.  I think its perfectly ethical for people to ask you if you do have pups available because you may have a puppy available and they may know more about you and feel more comfortable with you than with someone they don't know.  I think its great that you don't advertise here and don't give your website here or even really use your name.  It sorts of bothers me when people do use this forum as a place for sale only.  Anyways, when I do look for another pup, I would rather buy from you than anyone else and I think its great that I met you through a forum like this.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89868
[/QUOTE]

When you finish your residency, I'll probably just give you one for a graduation present.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by LadysMom@Aug 12 2005, 11:46 AM
You certainly don't come across as someone who joined SM to hawk their puppies. We've had a few, the most memorable being Maria and her teacups....what a thread that was!

I have always felt that your posts intelligently offer a different perspective on many of our hot topics, from that of a breeder. They are informative and enlightening (even if I don't always agree!). I think in the course of doing this, we have come to see how you run your breeding program, how the puppies are raised, etc. and many people here probably feel comfortable contacting you about buying a puppy.

I certainly think using pm's and email is a wonderful way to handle inquiries about puppies. If I recall correctly, I don't think I have ever heard you even mention a puppy being available, just shown us a few pictures.

I think many of us here would have a problem with someone who joined SM to post puppies for sale in our "Buy, Sell or Trade" section, but that is certainly not the case with you.

Thanks, Lady, your opinion means a lot to me.
I certainly wouldn't worry about it if I were you, but if you have "a funny feeling" about it, just ask them to use your regular email instead of pms' through SM.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89867
[/QUOTE]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,621 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Aug 12 2005, 12:46 PM
I think many of us here would have a problem with someone who joined SM to post puppies for sale in our "Buy, Sell or Trade" section, but that is certainly not the case with you.
I agree...


Originally posted by LadysMom@Aug 12 2005, 12:46 PM
You certainly don't come across as someone who joined SM to hawk their puppies. We've had a few, the most memorable being Maria and her teacups....what a thread that was!
LOL!! I forgot about that!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by LucyLou@Aug 12 2005, 12:24 PM
I am on this site for fun.  I want to learn, and to share imforation.  I enjoy reading the post, and I've met friends here. 
Now, here is my situation.  I am also a breeder.  In the past three years, I've sold six Maltese pups and one adult dog.  In the future, I will have other pups that I will be offering for sale.  I do not plan to post anytime I do have pups.  I do not think this is right, as I do not think I should use this site for that.  To me, that is not ethical.
The problem arises when someone from this asks if I do have pups.  This can be through an email obtained from my website, or through a PM.  I don't want to just come out and lie and say I don't.  I did that last week, and it has bothered me. 
I have talked with some of you through phone and PM's about a pup, and right now, I do plan to sell one to a member.  Guess who?  But, I still have that nagging feeling about ethics.  I'm not talking about a lot of pups in the future, and they are certainly easy to sell (I have a waiting list).  I don't want to hide my pups, nor do I want to advertise that I have them, but I still have a funny feeling about this.  I would appreciate everyone's opinion on this.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89862
[/QUOTE]
I think youre a wondeful breeder, and its alright for you to share if you have puppies available, just not writing it in the way that you are looking to get rid of them, which I know you would never do. Who's getting one of your pups?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by AJ+Aug 12 2005, 12:28 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@Aug 12 2005, 12:46 PM
You certainly don't come across as someone who joined SM to hawk their puppies. We've had a few, the most memorable being Maria and her teacups....what a thread that was!
LOL!! I forgot about that!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89875
[/B][/QUOTE]

Can you show me that thread?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89882
[/B][/QUOTE]
Yeah, I don't remember that thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,621 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Aug 12 2005, 01:40 PM
I was called "Diva Pups" in our Breeders section. It begin as a discussion of Diva Pups until Maria posted her website and started to promote her teacups and Morkies...........

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=207
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89884
[/QUOTE]

lol...you beat me!! i went back and found the thread and was reading it to make sure it was the right one... came back and you already had it up!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by Carrie+Aug 12 2005, 01:49 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@Aug 12 2005, 01:40 PM
I was called "Diva Pups" in our Breeders section. It begin as a discussion of Diva Pups until Maria posted her website and started to promote her teacups and Morkies...........

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=207
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89884
lol...you beat me!! i went back and found the thread and was reading it to make sure it was the right one... came back and you already had it up!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89886
[/B][/QUOTE]
Thanks!! Maria was last on on August 2nd so she might read this!!! She hasnt posted though. That thread was hectic!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
LucyLou, if you feel "funny" about selling a pup through SM, perhaps you could give anyone who contacts you through SM about a pup the URL of your site and ask for any inquiries to be sent to you there. That way, SM members are starting out with you the same as anyone else who sees your site.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
lucylou,

i don't think that you saying that you have pups available is unethical. i mean, you have never advertised them and it is clear that you aren't using this site to sell them. honestly, if i were serious about getting another pup in the near future, i would much rather get one from someone here rather than a different breeder.

and btw, if you were to sell a pup to another sm member you would be able to keep in contact and see pics of the pup too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by AJ+Aug 12 2005, 12:54 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 12 2005, 01:49 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@Aug 12 2005, 01:40 PM
I was called "Diva Pups" in our Breeders section. It begin as a discussion of Diva Pups until Maria posted her website and started to promote her teacups and Morkies...........

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=207
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89884


lol...you beat me!! i went back and found the thread and was reading it to make sure it was the right one... came back and you already had it up!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89886

[/QUOTE]
Thanks!! Maria was last on on August 2nd so she might read this!!! She hasnt posted though. That thread was hectic!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89888
[/B][/QUOTE]
I had forgotten about that thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,615 Posts
I don't have a problem with any of the breeders here either announcing a litter of pups or saying that they have none available. I think that the resources they provide are boundless...especially to those of us who are novice dog owners. Lucy Lou, you have the right...as does any breeder...to sell your pups to whomever you'd like. And you also have the right not to sell, too! I don't think I would like to see pups for sale in the Swap/Sell folder, but I don't see anything wrong with PM or e-mail inquiries made through SM.

As for that other thread regarding the teacups...that has been the only time anyone on this site has ever verbally attacked me...that was a horrible experience which had me very upset. Fortunately, I did not let it ruin my spirits...and thanks to the many PM's I received on the matter, I was able to move on.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top