Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read something on another group that is very disturbing to me.

I read that a member of a rescue organization would euthanize her own dogs if she were to pass away.

First I thought a vet would not euthanize a healthy dog?

Second what does that say about rescue if you do not have faith in what you are supporting that they could take care of your own pets being involved in this?

Third by posting this on a public forum makes others think of this as an option rather than having plans in order for their pets with a family member or friend or rescue organization set up in their living trust.

My friend passed away in July and I have one of her dogs and I would NEVER have thought of euthanizing her dog because her husband could not care for her three. We stepped up to the plate and found homes for all 3 one being my own home. The other two have had some aggression issues and have been a little more difficult to place but we still have done and still do everything we can to make sure they are cared for to honor my friend in her passing.

I find it even more disturbing coming from someone who openly crucified another member for euthanizing a dog that was a biter of whom no one would take in to their own home yet ridiculed her for months when she tried to seek help since it was not even her dog to begin with but her husband's co-workers dog she tried to help. This woman left the group and was devastated over having to finally euthanize this dog and then I read this today.

I am in total shock and wondering if this is normal to euthanize a dog because owner passes?

Also, I guess it is a good reminder that we all have our affairs in order with our beloved pets in a living trust as life happens when we are making plans.

I would be curious as to how other rescues would view this as I have been so disappointed in rescue over the past year and having two rescues now it just really saddens me as I donate to these organizations and want to believe in them.

All I could think of was the Jim Jones of Doggie rescue when i read that
:( and want to tell the dogs to stay away from the water bowl:angry:

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I know of some people who work with rescue and keep dogs that are unadoptable. They might be physically healthy, but not adoptable for various reasons. In my experience these dogs are euthanized it they cannot remain where they are. I don't have a problem with that.

Most vets require good reason to euthanize a pet. It isn't just pay and you get the service.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I know of some people who work with rescue and keep dogs that are unadoptable. They might be physically healthy, but not adoptable for various reasons. In my experience these dogs are euthanized it they cannot remain where they are. I don't have a problem with that.

Most vets require good reason to euthanize a pet. It isn't just pay and you get the service.
But sadly these are healthy dogs JMM :( I can understand a dog with serious health issues but not healthy ones or ones with mild issues like say allergies

I just do not know how you can crucify someone else publicly for euthanizing a troubled dog or a dog with severe health issues which also happened and then make a public statement like that - it just does not add up in my mind at all.

I know my notaries dog bit him in the face and his sister in the face and both had 36 stitches in the face a year apart incidents and the vet would not euthanize his dog. I commended that vet as the dog needed training and both times they stuck their face in the dogs face so now they still have the dog and do not ever put their face close to his.

Thanks for responding as I have never heard of such a thing before just like I did not know no one in rescues want a biter due to liability which I learned through reading on this other group about it :(

Glad to know a vet would not just euthanize based on someone's wishes like this and would evaluate the health of the dog prior to making that decision.

I do realize every day dogs die in kill shelters but it just disturbs me to think someone involved in rescue would think this way.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
This would be "out of the norm". Rescues are only as good as the people who volunteer. I know, for a fact, Edie, nor Mary Palmer, would allow a healthy dog to be eauthized, nor would my vet.

Every dog, I take in, is factored in. Yep, I know they may stay with me for life.

Gosh, Raul has been up for adoption for over a year. He's old, he's ugly, he's now blind, and he's a mutt. No one will ever adopt him. But hey, that's their loss, and my gain. I adore this sweet baby. He's full of love, that's for sure. Perhaps I should eauthanize him? Why? I'm a foster, that's what I'm here for. I have NEVER taken a dog to be eauthanized because it "just wasn't workin'" for us. I make it work. That's what rescues do.

Coby is not adoptable, because he has nose cancer. Expected to die almost a year ago. Well, surprise!! He's been having a blast. Edie would never allow me to put him, nor Raul down. If needed, we would have found another foster to care for them in their old age.

I abide by my Foster Contracts. I call Edie with every decision I make. I have never eauthanized a dog, without calling the Rescue Coordinator first. It's in the contract! And when that sad day arrived, it was needed to end the suffering, and agreed upon. Nothing more could be done.

I love my dogs, and they can stay here for life. When my lifes over, not only the fosters, but mine, will be in the hands of Rescue (hopefully Edie) if she's still around. I trust my fellow rescues that much.

PS: Remember Little Winter, The Biter? Heck he was 3-years-old, and such a jerk. Gosh, I loved him sooo. He was a good boy, but apparently I was the only who saw it. So he was a foster for over a year, when Steve and Peg, picked him up to see if we had better luck in Arizona. Steve also thought Winter was an ass, until he got to know him, then he loved him. Winter found the perfect home, with a young couple who had lost their Maltese. Get this: Their Maltese was a bit of a jerk, as well, and they miss that. Hey, there's a home for everyone, if not, they stay here. :wub:

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
This would be "out of the norm". Rescues are only as good as the people who volunteer. I know, for a fact, Edie, nor Mary Palmer, would allow a healthy dog to be eauthized, nor would my vet.

Every dog, I take in, is factored in. Yep, I know they may stay with me for life.

Gosh, Raul has been up for adoption for over a year. He's old, he's ugly, he's now blind, and he's a mutt. No one will ever adopt him. But hey, that's their loss, and my gain. I adore this sweet baby. He's full of love, that's for sure. Perhaps I should eauthanize him? Why? I'm a foster, that's what I'm here for. I have NEVER taken a dog to be eauthanized because it "just wasn't workin'" for us. I make it work. That's what rescues do.

Coby is not adoptable, because he has nose cancer. Expected to die almost a year ago. Well, surprise!! He's been having a blast. Edie would never allow me to put him, nor Raul down. If needed, we would have found another foster to care for them in their old age.

I abide by my Foster Contracts. I call Edie with every decision I make. I have never eauthanized a dog, without calling the Rescue Coordinator first. It's in the contract! And when that sad day arrived, it was needed to end the suffering, and agreed upon. Nothing more could be done.

I love my dogs, and they can stay here for life. When my lifes over, not only the fosters, but mine, will be in the hands of Rescue (hopefully Edie) if she's still around. I trust my fellow rescues that much.

PS: Remember Little Winter, The Biter? Heck he was 3-years-old, and such a jerk. Gosh, I loved him sooo. He was a good boy, but apparently I was the only who saw it. So he was a foster for over a year, when Steve and Peg, picked him up to see if we had better luck in Arizona. Steve also thought Winter was an ass, until he got to know him, then he loved him. Winter found the perfect home, with a young couple who had lost their Maltese. Get this: Their Maltese was a bit of a jerk, as well, and they miss that. Hey, there's a home for everyone, if not, they stay here. :wub:

:goodpost: Unfortunately there aren't enough Deb's, Edie's and Mary Palmer's in this world to take care of the fosters. We need more people like you ladies in this world. :grouphug:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Terrible!! :(

I do not think an animal should be euthanized unless it is for their own good (like they have a serious health issue or are in chronic pain) or it is for the good of others (like they are a real threat to people or other animals). To me, pups are like babies in the sense that, believe it or not, there is someone out there to adopt every single one. Some people think that disabled or sick babies are unadoptable but then there are others who open their hearts and homes and lives to these babies and everyone involved has a happy, fulfilling life. Same with pups.:)

It reminds me of when Casey Johnson died this summer and Nicky Hilton went to Casey's fiancee Tila Tequila's house to take Casey's dogs away. Tila was screaming to the paparazzi that Nicky was going to euthanize Casey's dogs so they could be buried with her. The whole episode was rather insane... I do not remember if anyone remembers reading/hearing about that... but I never thought in "real life" someone would consider this!

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:goodpost: Unfortunately there aren't enough Deb's, Edie's and Mary Palmer's in this world to take care of the fosters. We need more people like you ladies in this world. :grouphug:
I 100% AGREE AND HAVE ALOT OF RESPECT FOR THEM

Thank you for what you do for these little ones

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Terrible!! :(

I do not think an animal should be euthanized unless it is for their own good (like they have a serious health issue or are in chronic pain) or it is for the good of others (like they are a real threat to people or other animals). To me, pups are like babies in the sense that, believe it or not, there is someone out there to adopt every single one. Some people think that disabled or sick babies are unadoptable but then there are others who open their hearts and homes and lives to these babies and everyone involved has a happy, fulfilling life. Same with pups.:)

It reminds me of when Casey Johnson died this summer and Nicky Hilton went to Casey's fiancee Tila Tequila's house to take Casey's dogs away. Tila was screaming to the paparazzi that Nicky was going to euthanize Casey's dogs so they could be buried with her. The whole episode was rather insane... I do not remember if anyone remembers reading/hearing about that... but I never thought in "real life" someone would consider this!
now that you mention it I do remember seeing that - just sad :(

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
But sadly these are healthy dogs JMM :( I can understand a dog with serious health issues but not healthy ones or ones with mild issues like say allergies

I just do not know how you can crucify someone else publicly for euthanizing a troubled dog or a dog with severe health issues which also happened and then make a public statement like that - it just does not add up in my mind at all.
Ummm when did I crucify someone for that?

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
We had a friend who'd dog was a one man dog. He'd bitten other family members. If the owner had passed away,I don't know if anyone could take him. the dog did pass away first though.
Al's grandparents had a huge Siamese cat,I guesss it would hide under furniture and jump out and bite,to draw blood...his grandparents would say,oh,he's just playful..
This was before I met Al... When his granparents died,they took a cage trapped the cat,took broom handles ,put them through the cage and carried him out like a tiger.

They took him to the animal shelter,they said they wouldn't take his,too mean,they were even afraid to get close to euthanize him,so they took him to the vet and he was euthanized. It was sad, I don't know if his grandparents could have done anything to keep the cat from getting that way.

I saw pictures of him,a pretty siamese and huge too....

I can't judge someone for their reason's to euthanize,it would really depend on the health and personality of the dog really. I can understand her fear about their future prospects,but for me,I like to give them as much of a future as I can before I'd euthanize...

My last two Malts were on the euthanize schedule the very day I took them. Bitsy was a fighter,couldn't get along w/ other dogs and would nip people, both had terrible teeth,talking hundreds in vet bills to get them pulled and get them vaccinated.

Rylee was such a doll,Bitsy just stole my heart,so I took them both. with a lot f work Bitsy is such a love,still gets into tussels w/ the other dogs once in a while but no nipping people. She loves belly rubs and loves to visit at the nursing home. Rylee and Bitsy don't have a dozen teeth between them,but I love them anyway,just like my first two Malts and my cocker..

The woman who had them,thought they were unadoptable,so she thought having the shelter euthanize was the best thing for them.
I'm sooo glad I got a call to rescue them..

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
I am stunned that a "rescue" would say something like that. Is her rescue organization really just herself and nobody else? Maybe she should look for homes for her own dogs right now and just focus on placing rescues from now on so that her dogs won't have to face that fate. :(

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I think its very selfish of people who do that to their dogs. Sort of like they figure, "if I can't have the dog, no one can". Some people just suck.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I think its very selfish of people who do that to their dogs. Sort of like they figure, "if I can't have the dog, no one can". Some people just suck.
I guess it is a good thing we cannot do that to humans. Dh I am dying and you are going with me because I do not want anyone else to have you because no one else can take care of you like I do LOL Scary.

what was scary is the people saying they wanted to give their dogs to her if something happened to them - Yikes so when she is gone they euthanize them. No thanks

I guess i do not understand why feel so strongly against it when someone else does it yet it is ok for you to do it to your dogs. Is it you feel you are better to be able to make that decision but no one else can? I just hold someone in rescue to a higher standard than that so it was shocking to me to see that quite honestly.

When you represent a rescue what you do and what you say is a reflection of that rescue to other people.

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
I guess it is a good thing we cannot do that to humans. Dh I am dying and you are going with me because I do not want anyone else to have you because no one else can take care of you like I do LOL Scary.

what was scary is the people saying they wanted to give their dogs to her if something happened to them - Yikes so when she is gone they euthanize them. No thanks

I guess i do not understand why feel so strongly against it when someone else does it yet it is ok for you to do it to your dogs. Is it you feel you are better to be able to make that decision but no one else can? I just hold someone in rescue to a higher standard than that so it was shocking to me to see that quite honestly.
Had to laugh at your Jim Jones reference, but seriously it does sound like she is a martyr who thinks that she is the only one who can provide for her dogs. And there are humans who decide if they die their partner or children have to die with them (murder/suicide situations come to mind).

Honestly, I am not that surprised to hear something like this. You know how some rescue people become hoarders? They convince themselves that no one else can take care or love the dogs the same way they can. This may be a similar scenario.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kinda reminds me of India ,in the past,if the husband died the widow was expected to throw herself on the furneral pire and burn w/ him.
YIKES

Yeah she had made mention about my friend's death (Lucy's mom) which was disrespectful.

I guess because we did not euthanize her dogs to be with her the way she would have done :( we did things wrong.

Well I am so happy she is alive as she has brought so much joy to our family.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I've heard of this happening before - only when the person died the vet wouldn't euthanize and found the dog a new home. :chili:

I'm thinking (hoping) most vets would do the same.

As far as the rescue person is concerned she may be mentally unwell or else has a huge blind spot, or maybe both...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts