Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
April -- Tilly had the glue when she was spayed and it wasn't for the fact that she never comes into heat, I would never know that she was spayed from looking at her tummy. She never bothered her incision either.

I'm so glad that Eva the Diva is doing so well. :) As I mentioned, Lacie had to have 13 Baby Teeth pulled when she was spayed -- and yes, many were loose.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I think I must live in a 4th world country. Lisi had an incision that was about 2 inches w/internal & external stitches! Her little belly isn't much longer than that!
Count your many blessings. . . .

Amen! There are vets in the U.S. who still do it the "old fashioned" way, too. I find that I need several different vet clinics to get what I want done. With the procedure that I had done, I think there is a lot less discomfort and less likelihood of them messing with the incision..

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Thanks, Kandis..I have been watching Eva and she has not bothered her incision so far...but I have the collar just in case. All of mine had the glue, and I had no issues. It is very common for Maltese to have retained baby teeth..and the number that need to be pulled varies from one Malt to another. My Lily had 3, Rose had 13, and Eva 15. You can wait a little longer for the spay and see if more teeth come out on their own. The down side is Penny might come into season. I asked my vet not to charge me for loose baby teeth that were easy to get out. Out of the 15 Eva had pulled, I was only charged for 6. Let us know when Penny goes in..how old is she now?

I had to go back and find the post from last week
April,
Our little girls are almost the same age to the day :innocent:.
My Penny was born on 10/22/12 and will be 8 months on June 22nd and weights 4.6 lbs. Hows that for comparison??
:HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
I'm sorry i missed this whole thread...i'm happy that Eva made it through with flying colors, but 15 teeth pulled...does she still have teeth...that seems like an awful lot for such a little mouth. I know she has to be so happy to be back home with her mommy and sissy's and i know mommy is happy to have the little sweetie home.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think I must live in a 4th world country. Lisi had an incision that was about 2 inches w/internal & external stitches! Her little belly isn't much longer than that!
Count your many blessings. . . .
Firstly and most importantly, so thankful Eva came through with flying colors and is home and back in Mom's lap where she belongs. Secondly, this is poor Gidget's story in the good ole USA, but it was vet error. My previous (notice I said previous) vet cut the tied-off stick on her last sutured "lady part" on the wrong side and it fell back into her gut and he had to open her up more and fish it out and resuture it. Because of the length of time she was under to fix that he had to use staples instead of sutures to staple a 2 1/2 in cut in her tiny body because he didn't have time to suture her under anesthesia. I understand all of that--he's human accidents happen, I don't hold that against him. What I do hold against him is telling me she will be in a little more pain for the larger cut but charging me for the pain med. :angry: Also, she had to have 10 teeth pulled. She was supposed to have them pulled with the spay, but the vet told me he couldn't pull them or she wouldn't have had any teeth left. We would have to wait 2 months and then pull them. What turnip truck does he think I fell off of? He couldn't leave her under the anesthesia to pull them that's the reason he gave for the staples, but he never offered that explanation and maybe a discount or God forbid pull them for free because of his mistake. Anyway, I didn't mean to hyjack the thread or turn this post into a rant and she did great through her spay and her separate 10 teeth-pulling surgery, but sometimes things make you go gggrrrrr.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I had to go back and find the post from last week
April,
Our little girls are almost the same age to the day :innocent:.
My Penny was born on 10/22/12 and will be 8 months on June 22nd and weights 4.6 lbs. Hows that for comparison??Thi
:HistericalSmiley:
That's right-I remember now! This is just a guideline but most of the females have their first heat between 9-11 months. For me, I have felt that 8 months was a good time to spay. I was really in shock when my Lily came into season at 7 months and so was her breeder.:eek:

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I'm sorry i missed this whole thread...i'm happy that Eva made it through with flying colors, but 15 teeth pulled...does she still have teeth...that seems like an awful lot for such a little mouth. I know she has to be so happy to be back home with her mommy and sissy's and i know mommy is happy to have the little sweetie home.

Debbie, 15 is a lot..my vet took x-rays first as she would not pull baby teeth unless the adult teeth were coming in behind them, and most of her adult teeth are through..thank you for your good wishes.

·
Registered
611 Posts
April, I've been out-of-town since Sunday, so I just saw this thread.

I'm so glad little Eva's spay went well, and I was just stunned that she had 15 baby teeth retained.

I know that you are very happy to have your baby home! :wub:

Sheila

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Firstly and most importantly, so thankful Eva came through with flying colors and is home and back in Mom's lap where she belongs. Secondly, this is poor Gidget's story in the good ole USA, but it was vet error. My previous (notice I said previous) vet cut the tied-off stick on her last sutured "lady part" on the wrong side and it fell back into her gut and he had to open her up more and fish it out and resuture it. Because of the length of time she was under to fix that he had to use staples instead of sutures to staple a 2 1/2 in cut in her tiny body because he didn't have time to suture her under anesthesia. I understand all of that--he's human accidents happen, I don't hold that against him. What I do hold against him is telling me she will be in a little more pain for the larger cut but charging me for the pain med. :angry: Also, she had to have 10 teeth pulled. She was supposed to have them pulled with the spay, but the vet told me he couldn't pull them or she wouldn't have had any teeth left. We would have to wait 2 months and then pull them. What turnip truck does he think I fell off of? He couldn't leave her under the anesthesia to pull them that's the reason he gave for the staples, but he never offered that explanation and maybe a discount or God forbid pull them for free because of his mistake. Anyway, I didn't mean to hyjack the thread or turn this post into a rant and she did great through her spay and her separate 10 teeth-pulling surgery, but sometimes things make you go gggrrrrr.
IMHO, your vet did a sloppy job,(glad your baby is okay) and I'm glad you don't use him anymore. He did the right thing concerning the anesthesia, though..you have to be so careful with that. It's always better if you can have the teeth pulled at the time of the spay/neuter to avoid having to put them under again, however sometimes, it just can't be avoided no matter what for many reasons. I had to take my first Maltese to a veterinary dentist because my vet at the time did not feel comfortable pulling teeth during his neuter. So, we live, and learn:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
:cheer:Yippee!
You're sweet.

Glad to hear she is home and resting with Mommy!!! Your too precious sweet little Eva!! :)
Thank you.

Yay! Glad she's back home :). She will bounce back in no time! What a strong girl :) :wub:
Thank you..having a great vet helps, too.

April, so happy Eva is home and looks great. I know how relieved you must be having her back. :aktion033:
Oh, I really am. Thanks so much. We all slept great last night.

:chili::chili::chili:Yippee -- Eva the Diva is home and on Mommy's lap. :aktion033::aktion033:
Thank you, Lynn..((hugs))

Isn't it just amazing how tiny they can make those incisions! I measured Callie's and it wasn't even 1/2 of an inch! Callie never once messed with her incision since she had the internal sutures too. I'm betting Ava will be the same.
Thank you Crystal..it really is the best spay procedure for Maltese, IMO.

Yay! Li'l Eva is home and well!!!
Yay is right! Thank you so much.

April -- Tilly had the glue when she was spayed and it wasn't for the fact that she never comes into heat, I would never know that she was spayed from looking at her tummy. She never bothered her incision either. Yes, it is a great procedure when done by a skilled vet. Some still do it the "old-fashioned" way though.

I'm so glad that Eva the Diva is doing so well. :) As I mentioned, Lacie had to have 13 Baby Teeth pulled when she was spayed -- and yes, many were loose.
It's not uncommon..

Give little Eva lots of kissies from Auntie Sylvia, Ray, Ru and MiMi.
Consider it done, Auntie Sylvia..thanks for your support.

April, I've been out-of-town since Sunday, so I just saw this thread.

I'm so glad little Eva's spay went well, and I was just stunned that she had 15 baby teeth retained.

I know that you are very happy to have your baby home! :wub: Thank you, Sheila..it's not uncommon to have that many removed. My Rose had 13 pulled..

·
Premium Member
10,171 Posts
She's home!:chili::chili: and she looks great!They fed her this morning but she was thirsty and hungry when we got home..so I fed her some lunch..she's gone potty and is sound asleep on a blankie in my lap.:wub::wub: Her incision is tiny and no outside stitches to remove..Praise the Lord! Thanks again for getting me through it. I'm so glad its over..:yes:
Oh, thank goodness darling Eva is back home and in her Mommy's loving arms!

April, I am sorry that I missed responding to your post earlier on ... but, my prayers were and still are with sweet Eva and you.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Oh, thank goodness darling Eva is back home and in her Mommy's loving arms!

April, I am sorry that I missed responding to your post earlier on ... but, my prayers were and still are with sweet Eva and you.

Thank you, sweet Marie..no apology is necessary.:wub:

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I'm a little slow in catching up with everything that has been going on at SM. I am so glad that Eva is home and doing well. Wishing her a very speedy and comfortable recovery. My Bella is scheduled for her spay next week and I am already getting nervous. :( Glad Eva is on the mend.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Is she still doing really well today, April?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Terrific! So, so happy for her (& you)!

61 - 79 of 79 Posts