Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I just bought a ticket online for a movie tommorrow, and I've never been to the movies alone, anyone else do that? I just have a really weird schedule beng a graduate student, and I have been dying to go to the new movie theatre in town (stadium seating, butter your own popcorn) I'm tired of waiting around for someone to go with me. Plus this way, I get to pick the movie and sit where I want. I'm thinking I can go to the matinee and save money, and be back home before anyone realizes I'm gone. What do you think? I just hope other people show up so I'm not the only one in the theatre, but they don't think I'm weird for going alone.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I used to do that all the time. When my kids were both finally in school and I didn't have anything to do during the day. Most of my friends would be at play group or something with their kids that were younger than mine. It was really nice actually. This way I was out of the house and doing something completely and totally all about me. I didn't have to worry about what anyone else wanted. It was nice. Haven't had time to do it in a long time though. Maybe I should.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I have gone to the movies alone, and frankly, I've enjoyed it. I get to see what I want, sit where I want, and not share any popcorn or soda with anyone (my husband is the worst...let me just have a sip, next thing I know my $12 soda is gone). My hang up is eating out alone. I could never go into a restaurant and order lunch or dinner and sit there and eat it by myself. Is that weird?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Oct 11 2005, 02:08 PM
I have gone to the movies alone, and frankly, I've enjoyed it.  I get to see what I want, sit where I want, and not share any popcorn or soda with anyone (my husband is the worst...let me just have a sip, next thing I know my $12 soda is gone).  My hang up is eating out alone.  I could never go into a restaurant and order lunch or dinner and sit there and eat it by myself.  Is that weird?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108476
[/QUOTE]

I think that's an other reason why i was skiny before . I would not eat in puplic places by myself.. so while at work i would starve all day unless my friends went to luch with me. I also hated eating my brought lunch by myself. I used to think everyone was staring at me, but you know what no one was. Now I don't care anymore.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You all have helped me find my courage, its going to be fun I think. I'm going to see the Wedding Crashers because its a comedy, and at school I've been reading too much tragic stuff. Im going to sit where I want and have a great time! Now if I could just sneak in the dogs...just kidding, I'm going to enjoy the time to myself.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I have been to the movies alone also. At first I felt really weird--but once I was settled in my seat-with MY goodies
lol- I REALLY enjoyed myself. I've wanted to see The Wedding Crashers-everyone I've talked to that has seen it has thought it was very funny.
My favorite thing to do is mix a box of hot tamales in with my hot popcorn and it is sooooo good.....anyone else try this? The candy gets warm and chewy.....

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
oh its my guilty pleasure lol i love going to the movies alone. i go to the matanees when my kids are in school and guess what there are other moms there just like me. and you know what else they are smiling.

no seriously it is not bad at all. Get some popcorn sit were you want and enjoy. I love it cause i don't have to hear anyone grumble about it being a "girly" movie and i'm not bored having to sit thru a cop show. LOL

now eating alone...well just say the drive thru is my best friend. lol

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
i used to go to movies alone all the time. i have stopped going to movies all together because of the super-duper-quadraphonic-bursting-eardrums sound that i cant handle very well, and how things like cell phones ruin the experience. but i used to love it. it was just a couple of hours where i could get totally immersed in something completely silly, you know? no work, no school, no family, no friends who have to chat during the movie, etc.

i think BTB (Before "The Boy") i was so caught up in my independence that i think i took it for granted. i vacationed alone (which i HIGHLY recommend!) and dined alone. as for dining, i usually bring a book or a newspaper and ask for a booth and i love it! when i'm on vacation and i go out to a restaurant, i usually go sit up at the bar and chat with people there. i have scored a few free meals that way, too, LOL. often times, bartenders would comp my meals after realizing i'm there by myself, on vacation by myself, even. love it!

now, The Boy cant seem to understand how someone goes to a restaurant by themselves and enjoys any bit of it.

it's not for everyone, but it can be very fun!

ann marie and the "we make friends all over the place, you kidding???" buttercup

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I used to go to the movies at least once a month while the kids were at school. It was good to get away from the house alone and enjoy the peace to watch a movie without having to hush the kids.
Of course this was back in Australia. I don't think I would do it here in the US and besides now I would probably fall asleep

Often I sit down to watch a movie on the TV and wake up at the end, could you imagine how I would feel if I did that at the theater and someone had to wake me to get by to leave? That would be so embarassing

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by TheButtercup@Oct 11 2005, 03:58 PM
now, The Boy cant seem to understand how someone goes to a restaurant by themselves and enjoys any bit of it.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108588
[/QUOTE]

My husband would never ever dream of going to the movies alone, dining alone and would even have trouble renting videos on his own. He has done drive through and I am so proud of him

·
Registered
776 Posts
I've been to the movies alone at least twenty times... sometimes to see a movie that none of my friends want to see, and other times just because i need the time alone. I saw Fellowship of the Ring in the theaters alone ...
seven times ...

I think i might name my next pup "Frodo"

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I never go to the movies. There is very little that holds my interest for 2 whole hours. I'd rather wait for the DVD and watch at home while sitting at the computer. TIVO was positively made for me.

I don't mind eating alone. I've gotten lots of practice when I take the girls somewhere and they go off with their friends,or when I go with my husband to a professional meeting. I can eat alone, but only if I have a book or magazine and I sit with my back to the room. It doesn't make me feel that weird. Lots of people do it.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by RubyJeansmom@Oct 11 2005, 01:40 PM
My favorite thing to do is mix a box of hot tamales in with my hot popcorn and it is sooooo good.....anyone else try this? The candy gets warm and chewy.....

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108492
[/QUOTE]

I mix Goobers (chocolate covered peanuts) into my popcorn, soooo good!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Yes~I often see people eating alone and they have a book usually-and I admire them that they can do that. I don't think its weird of them at all. My husband does it because he's out working and just doesn't want fast food-he doesn't mind at all either.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Originally posted by bellasmommy+Oct 12 2005, 09:48 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-RubyJeansmom
@Oct 11 2005, 01:40 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108773
[/B][/QUOTE]

MMMmmmm. Goobers sounds good! I used to put M&M's into my Popcorn and loved the sweet-salty combo. Like when we used to put salted peanuts into our bottled cokes. Heaven!

Does anyone here sneak food into the theatre? My friends and I occassionally meet after work a catch a movie. For one's birthday we ate at California Pizza, then brought a bottle of cold champagne and Godiva truffles into the theatre for our movie snacks. Plastic champagne glasses and all! Other times we will stop and get deli soup, sandwiches, hummus, whatever, and quietly eat while watching the movie. So far, no one has ratted us out or complained. The theatre is usually sparsely populated at the times we go.

There are actually two theatres here in San Antonio that sell real food....one even has a waiter that brings it to you in the theatre. Never tried that, though.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by Pico's Parent+Oct 12 2005, 09:55 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 12 2005, 09:48 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-RubyJeansmom
@Oct 11 2005, 01:40 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108773

[/QUOTE]

MMMmmmm. Goobers sounds good! I used to put M&M's into my Popcorn and loved the sweet-salty combo. Like when we used to put salted peanuts into our bottled cokes. Heaven!

Does anyone here sneak food into the theatre? My friends and I occassionally meet after work a catch a movie. For one's birthday we ate at California Pizza, then brought a bottle of cold champagne and Godiva truffles into the theatre for our movie snacks. Plastic champagne glasses and all! Other times we will stop and get deli soup, sandwiches, hummus, whatever, and quietly eat while watching the movie. So far, no one has ratted us out or complained. The theatre is usually sparsely populated at the times we go.

There are actually two theatres here in San Antonio that sell real food....one even has a waiter that brings it to you in the theatre. Never tried that, though.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108777
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've sneaked in candy. The candy at the theatre is so expensive, if they just lowered the price I would gladly but it there, rather than look like a bag lady trying to sneak in my own
Wow, thats cool that you can get real food by a waiter in San Antonio, Wichita Falls isn't quite that advanced yet- we just got stadium seating this week.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I used to work at a movie theater and I learned that all of the theaters profits come from the concession stands. The ticket money goes towards paying for the film and the cost of running the theater. So the only place the theaters actually make money is at the concession stand.

I still sneek stuff in. Even when I worked there. I about died the last time I went to a movie. The place I went to doesn't have matinee prices so it cost like $9 for the ticket. Then I got a mini popcorn (about half the size of a small) and a large bottle of water. The popcorn and water cost $12!!!! WTF!!! So the cost for just me to go to the movies was $21!!! :new_Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well, I for one think the idea of going to the movies alone is a fabulous one, and after reading this thread I will certainly be able to screw up my courage and finally do it! I was also also bothered by eating out alone, but I did it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't really "out", though. I was in the Chicago airport and I was starving... my options were the Wolfgang Puck restaurant or the food court (a bit more inconspicuous). However, I decided I would have a nice meal and I ate alone with my book at Wolfgang Pucks. It was delicious and I had my book to keep me company. Oh, the book was The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck and I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone. Thanks all for the added inspiration to conquer my fear of going to the movies alone!

·
Registered
841 Posts
I LOVED IT use to go all the time before I had kids
would go to the early show
usaully only a few people there felt weird the 1st time only
I highly recomend it
YOUR time and all

Come to think of it I need to do that too
my time

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.