Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

First brush out the hair, and have the dog lay their head down on a top knot pillow or just a rolled up blanket.

For any fuzzies, you can apply a small bit of kolestral or gel (that is #1 All Systems pink gel). I really mean a tiny bit. That is all it takes.

You need bands. The clear ones are the tiny size (med weight) from dog-bows.com. Those blue ones are from lainee. I use the clear ones on top of papers and the small light weight from dog-bows.com (or lainee) if they're going on the hair.

Use a rat tail comb to part the hair that you want to put in the top knot. I usually go up each side slightly in from the corner of the eyes (if I'm putting in doubles, I go a little wider) and then however far back you need...it depends on the dog's head.

Put in the band. Then use the rat tail comb to loosen the hair up and add poof. It is very important that it be loose enough in the front so that they are comfortable and you are not pulling up on their eyelids. I actually skip this step with the band if I'm using papers and don't put any band on the coat.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Papers. Both are from Sally's. They have mesh or regular. These are called end wraps. I prefer mesh. It is just easier for me to work with. It is personal preference.

I take 2 of the mesh papers layered together and fold them in half. Then I wrap it in thirds around the top knot (here is over the band, but normally I don't put a band on the coat and at this point would do the loosening/puffing). The regular papers are a little longer so fold in 1/2 and then fold over another 1/3 and wrap around the top knot.

Fold over the paper. Where you want the hair to go, place it now. Also, the back should be even or slightly lower than the front of the papers when you fold it over. You can fold it over the rat tail comb to get a nice fold. Add a band to secure it (that is the only band I use).

You can add a bow if you like and you're done!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Thank you for posting these photos. I have the mesh papers from Sally's and I'm ready to attempt a bow. Our puppy now loves to have her head brushed! Her hair is still fairly short....I cannot fold over the top for a true knot. I can get it to "spout" which is cute. But how do I get it to lay flat? I tried putting the elastic (I actually use the super stretchy, non-catching silicone bands) back so that the front has a lot of poof, and the back has only 1/4" below the band, but all the hair slipped out of the "poof" in front. I guess I have to wait for her hair to grow a bit. I used Infusium frizz control (it's in a small purple pump bottle) on her coat...you only need two or three pumps and it does a wonderful job of keeping the flyaways down. Our puppy's coat is starting to come in, you can see the hair closer to the part has much more shine than the ends. And it is staying in a neat part down her back.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Thank you so much for that tutorial....I can't use it but if I ever get a female or get rid of my husband so I can put a topknot on Pico, I will know exactly how!

Now, about the part about the dog putting his head down on a blanket or pillow........I don't see that happening with Pico.

·
Registered
522 Posts
This is by far the best tutorial I've seen on the internet on how to do a top knot. (Please give Mikey an extra treat from all of us for being such an excellent model)
For the first time, it makes sense to me and appears as if you can see the mesh paper on top. I never knew that, I thought it was hair folded over and that the hair covered the mesh. When you reach down to pat Mikey's head, you feel the mesh paper, correct?

Of course, IzzyBella is too young to hold her head still, she's all over the grooming blanket and her hair is too short for a knot. I think it's even too short for a fountain. We do a pretend grooming every night just so she's used to it and when she gets too wiggly, I merely lift her off the blanket and work while she's dangling her legs.

Can you offer a tutorial on how you get Mikey to sit with his head on the pillow?

Thanks Jackie. You took a lot of time to make this and we appreciate it very much!

·
Registered
894 Posts
I am just histerical here!! I cannot even IMAGINE getting Sisse to sit still long enough to attempt this!! I would of been bit to pieces!! She bites the brush, me, the blanket, anything. She is just TO BUSY to sit still. I have Mikie's patience to look forward to.....I will print this thread out so I have it for the future. Thank you so much!!
I am going to read this to Sisee!!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I'm beginning to just enjoy your pictures sooo much... i'm not even reading the descriptions!!! lol...
I LOVE the pictures! What a cutie!!!!!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Thanks JMM.

I bought the paper awhile ago and Ijust couldn't figure out how to use them exactly. When I get home today I will work on Maya's top knot.

:D

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
wow. You made it look so easy!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you so much for this tutorial. You are an amazing Guru to have......I bow to you and your genuis
. Your threads have been extremely helpful to this first time Malt Mum, so thanks. Everyone elses threads are great too, you just seem to go the extra mile to let us know how to do these things for out furbabies, without seeming silly

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Jackie,
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I've been waiting for a tutorial like this. One thing that I've had trouble gauging is how much of the hair between their eyes goes up in the top knot. I've been going straight across the bridge of the nose, but it looks like you have a section that goes down to a point - sort of a "V" shape. Also, do you go straight across the back of the hair (between the ears), or is it more rounded? I can never decide which hair goes in the top knot. I haven't been using the papers, but use the light weight pink bands (from lainee) directly in the hair. Then I cut them out at night and brush out the top knot. Will they break the hair, or are they pretty gentle?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
If I did top-knots that would be SO helpful...

I keep looking at the pictures of the oh-so-patient model and laughing!
Mine would NEVER!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I really recommend using the stretchy silicone bands as they don't catch any of the hair. I can actually take them out without any problem. They slide right out of the hair and don't get caught. I bought a box of 75 for $2.99 at Walgreens. They come in multi-color or black. I purchased the smallest size, which are about as wide around as my little finger. They can easily stretch between my forefinger and thumb and shrink right back down to size. I wrap it around the hair three times. I could do it tighter, but it is definitely tight enough.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Feb 14 2005, 04:05 PM
Jackie,
Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I've been waiting for a tutorial like this.  One thing that I've had trouble gauging is how much of the hair between their eyes goes up in the top knot.  I've been going straight across the bridge of the nose, but it looks like you have a section that goes down to a point - sort of a "V" shape.  Also, do you go straight across the back of the hair (between the ears), or is it more rounded?  I can never decide which hair goes in the top knot.  I haven't been using the papers, but use the light weight pink bands (from lainee) directly in the hair.  Then I cut them out at night and brush out the top knot.  Will they break the hair, or are they pretty gentle?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35360
[/QUOTE]

The lainee bands should be fine. Any band on the coat will break some hair, but these are much gentler than most. Just condition well and always cut the bands out and change them daily.

Mikey has a very nice stop and yes, the hair is separated at kind of a V there rather than a straight line. I've seen it both ways. I think the V looks softer. He also has smaller eyes than I would like to is makes them look a little bigger.

I go straight across in the back. I actually part in a different place for the top knot every day because otherwise I tend to break hair. I never go all the way out to the corners of the eyes unless I am putting up doubles for a special occasion or for a show. That hair seems to break the most on my dogs for some reason...

1 - 20 of 114 Posts