Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years and years ago, I fell in love with maltese and wanted my first dog to be a maltese. But eventually I went to a big dog show and fell in love with Bichons. I could not afford dealer prices so looked to a rescue society that put me in touch with someone needing to move and couldn't take the dog. I went to his home, was told the dog was show quality but not temperament so more reason for him to get rid of her. He went to the basement and brought her up. She looked so scared but jumped up where I sat and hid behind me. I was told she was a few months old. I was so hungry for a pet I paid his rehoming fee of several hundred dollars, was told he had packed her papers but would send them to me, of course he never did. She was afraid of everything--grass, walking on leash, etc. also the vet said she was about a year old. With patience and love, I helped her build her confidence and showed her unconditional love. She was the sweetest dog ever, and in ever regretted getting her. After a few years, because I worked full time, I wanted a second one to keep her company. I drove to a "dealer" who put me in a small empty room, then brought in a two little puppies. One was fat, spunky and playful, the other was so sad looking and sat in the corner--my heart chose him. When I got him to the vet, I found out he was six months old or more plus had severe case of ear mites. Once those were cleared up, he started gaining weight, strength and his personality perked up. He turned into a lovely little guy. I had both dogs their whole lives, and could not have loved them more if they had come from a prince's palace. I know I overpaid for both of them, but at least they had happy lives.

·
Premium Member
5,666 Posts
Welcome!
Im so happy you gave your pups a home. I think that’s wonderful! You gave them a life of a prince. I saved my oldest fluff from a horrible BYB. I, like you felt so sad that I took my girl when she was literally dying in the breeders care.
The lesson I learned from my own experience is that as happy as my girl is today, and I love her so much, even with all her medical issues, I could and will never ever support those byb, brokers by giving them another cent of my money.
Every time we support these monster people, who don’t truly care about these poor babies, and only care about the money they sell them for will keep them in business. I hope going forward, you would at least consider a rescue or adopt from a reputable breeder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
p
Welcome!
Im so happy you gave your pups a home. I think that’s wonderful! You gave them a life of a prince. I saved my oldest fluff from a horrible BYB. I, like you felt so sad that I took my girl when she was literally dying in the breeders care.
The lesson I learned from my own experience is that as happy as my girl is today, and I love her so much, even with all her medical issues, I could and will never ever support those byb, brokers by giving them another cent of my money.
Every time we support these monster people, who don’t truly care about these poor babies, and only care about the money they sell them for will keep them in business. I hope going forward, you would at least consider a rescue or adopt from a reputable breeder.
Welcome!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have no idea what B&B means, as stated, I got my first bichon through a rescue group. She was still expensive. The second one I was hoping to actually breed them so went to a breeder several hours drive to get him, turned out to be not a great place but I was still very naieve. Now I have a Yorkie, again, bought from private breeder, very expensive, even with supposed parents on premises and lots of puppies freely running around, turns out she rented house til pups were sold, and my Yorkie grew up to not be the same color as the "parents," with curly hair to boot. I did my best to avoid a puppy mill, but some of them it appears are one jump ahead. And forget ever getting a quality dog as a rescue--if one ever gets in that situation, those go straight to the elite.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
For pets, who cares about "quality" (which is really just conformation that conforms to the breed standard). Well, some people want a dog that conforms and that is okay too. My Zooey was waaaay off from having a show dog's conformation, but she was absolutely precious and I loved her and it didn't matter to me.

Your Yorkie is seriously adorable!! Looks like a "Disney dog" as they say :)

Oh, and BYB = backyard breeder

·
Registered
Guinevere
1,202 Posts
I was so afraid your story would have a sad ending. I'm so glad it didn't and you all gave each other a wonderful life.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts