Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Paris goes to the groomer on Thursday. I can't decide if I want to cut her hair or not. She is probably close to 2-1/2 inches long. I know that is not very long but I am wondering two things...(1) Will cutting it down to a puppy cut make her a lot cooler? and (2) how long will it take for it to grow back? I just CAN'T decide what to do....

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I think a short puppy cut is a lot cooler for them. Nikki is going to the groomer's on Aug 5th to get a puppy cut (body will be 1/2 inch).

When they are puppies their hair grows so fast. Lexi (18 months old) got a puppy cut in January and when she went in June it was around 4 inches long.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
she will be much cooler... . I think it is a good thing as it is so hot right now.
For chelsey her hair grows back so fast.. In two weeks she grows and inch or more.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
She will definitely be cooler. I had Pico cut even shorter than normal to about 1" on May 30 and he hasn't been cut since. He is at 2 1/2" now which I really like. It's long enough to flow when he runs but short enough that it's easy to brush, comb and bathe. We'll get it cut back to 1" for the rest of the summer, though.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Yes, it's cooler. I recently cut Massimo down, at first I was kinda upset- he looked very different without all his long hair.....but after a few days I totally LOVED it!! I know he does too...right after I did it, he was so spunky!! LOL He seemed so much more comfortable. Not to mention so CUTE!!!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
their hair grows fast. the girls get a haircut every month from me. lol. but i like them alot more when they're cut really short.

·
Registered
408 Posts
ARGGG Vinny's hair does not grow. He is a year old now and this is it, its about 4 1/2 inches long. I have been debating for a while on getting his hair cut, I made the appointment yesterday and he goes August 3. The big reason is that we are going camping again the following weekend and he is a mess playing at the beach.

This is a pic taken last week, he has nice long hair on his feet and tail its the body itself that just doesnt grow. I guess its genetic cause Jessy (his mom) has very slow growing hair too.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I tried to let Puddles hair grow, but gave up. It was a every night thing, brush and brush. I felt sorry for the fellow. Hes been in puppy cut for over 7 months and going to keep it short. Maybe let it grow out some for the winter, but not down to the floor. It has to be cooler !!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
My boys are both in short cuts for the summer (Peanut is always in a short cut b/c of mats
) But their hair grows way too fast and I would have to cut it twice a month to keep it at the length I like. Tic was just getting too hot to keep his hair long.

Tag, Vinny is too cute!!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Both my kids have VERY slow growing hair. I usually want to cry every time they get a puppy cut...especially Little C because she looks so adorable with longer hair. But, I know they are happier and cooler, so I do it. It takes MONTHS to get their hair even two inches again.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I just had Lacey cut into a puppy cut. She was almost 5 inches long and now she is about one inch. She looks so cute. I love the long hair but it is so hot outside right now she is much more comfortable with the shorter cut.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I always thought I'd like the puppy cut but I really love a long coat on the Maltese. Princess's hair is about 5 inches long now, it took about 7months to grow back.

·
Registered
44 Posts
In my opinion, it seems to help our babies stay alot cooler. Mimi seems to be happier at this point because it is so hot where we live at. She is more use to Downtown Los Angeles where she is use to living by the ocean with my Husband's parents rather than in the valley. I am having to touch up on her just about every two weeks because it seems that her hair grows so fast. I leave her head hair long, but the rest of her I try to keep short for this season. :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Duke jusy got his first hair cut on sat. I was soo worried that I wouldnt like it short but I thought he would be alot cooler. To my surprise, He looks sooooo cute and is playing alot more during the hot day.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
okay...I'm going to do it (I think).

·
Registered
408 Posts
I know summer will be more fun for Vinny with a shorter cut but I am nauseous thinking about it. I have been looking for a cut that doesn't touch his head and tail and found this, the ears are trimmed though I don't want his touched. I envy thick fast growing coats. If anyone has any pics to share please please do.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Aww...I like the head hair long! It looks cute. I chose to cut Massimo all the way short, leaving only his ears and tail longer. Here's a pic:

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He is so adorable!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Massimo is a DOLL!!!! Great cut!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Rex is a lot cooler with the short cut! I think it is growing back kinda fast, it hasnt even been a whole month and already I can mess it up! It is so much easier to care for too, especially being I am having to bathe him 3 times a week right now with his grass allergy. I love the look of a long haired Maltese, but with my kids loving to pet Rex and as playful as Rex is short is easier. I am going to let it grow from now until next summer and then probably get it cut into a puppy cut. Anyway here is a picture I just took of him a few minutes ago, he is a mess in it!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts